Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Someone need make this program for xml

Peliculon

Im new in this retro world, since one month ago maybe. I learn faster and Im notice some deficiencies concerning to the *.xml´s. Why nobody create a program that takes the crc from the roms , contrast that crc with an xml file that have all the info about that rom (like name, description, clone, crc, manufacturer, year, genre, rating, enabled) and make this live of renaming xml´s more easy? :unknown:

Im editing *.xml´s with my hands one rom by one and is really painfull and boring. Im start to think that i will finish like in at least 10 years, being a no lifer of course. So if someone is interesting, im going to write my ideas here, with examples, hoping that someone will create this powerful tool someday.

How should the program be?

Must take the crc from roms in a folder (for MAME and similar will take the crc number from the zip, for others systems will take the crc from the rom inside the zip). Once the program collect all thats crc numbers, will contrast them with an xml file or a info file or dat (but its important that xml, info and dat have really op info about that roms).  The program will say something like this: "Ok, if i found the same crc number of this roms in the xml, then i will fill all thats tags in that block with my op info about that specific rom".

Then the program will start to scan all thats roms and for contrast them with the xml will do the next:

"Ok, i collected all the crc numbers in the folder Atari 2600 roms, now im going to check if this first rom with crc number 58010BE3 matches with some tags <crc></crc> inside the xml".

<game name="Asteroid Fire (Europe)" index="" image="">
        <description></description>
        <cloneof></cloneof>
        <crc>58010BE3</crc>
        <manufacturer></manufacturer>
        <year></year>
        <genre></genre>
        <rating></rating>
        <enabled></enabled>
    </game>

"Oh wow, here we go. I find this match inside the tags  <game name="Asteroid Fire (Europe)" index="" image="".......<crc>58010BE3</crc>........</game> . So now im go to fill with really op info the other tags that accompany to crc tag and are inside of the same block <game name>...</game>". Then the program will ask you an amazing question:

"With what info do you want that i fill the tags?:

1. For HyperSpin (and then you will have this roms perfectly named with the media in this launcher).
  2.  For No-Intro (if you prefer the No-Intro version names, i can do it, even i can rename the media for your HyperSpin with No-Intro names if you want).
  3. For Atari 2600 Vcs Collection HunterV11.
  4. Etc., etc., etc...

Then we select for example option 1 and Boom! :

<game name="Asteroid Fire (Europe)" index="" image="">
        <description>Asteroid Fire (Europe)</description>
        <cloneof></cloneof>
        <crc>58010BE3</crc>
        <manufacturer>Homevision - Gem International Corp.</manufacturer>
        <year>1983</year>
        <genre>Shoot-&apos;Em-Up</genre>
        <rating>Other - NR (Not Rated)</rating>
        <enabled>Yes</enabled>
    </game>

Awesome! In just a few clics we have hundreds of roms with a perfect correspondence to works with HyperSpin or other frontend or whatever .:nyam1:

Of course this is only an idea that can be developed much more.

2 hours ago, agent47 said:

Nobody "needs" to do that because there are already multiple renaming and filtering programs written years ago in the 3rd party apps section that do that stuff.

:o

Oh my god, Im going to be now a god of xml´s hahah

Archived