Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

(Tutorial) Launching Quake in RetroArch from HyperSpin

nrapley

Original Post Update By Thatman84....

Hi All, I'm running Hyperspin and RetroArch on my Nvidia Shield. I've added a wheel for Quake (RetroArch Content) and have been trying to launch it with out success, has anyone else managed it?

From my ini file:

exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
parameters=cores/tryquake_libretro_android.so

Thanks

Nigel

END OF OP

The following thread has all the detailes required to get Quake1 up and running with RetroArch on the Shield TV and other supported Android devices.

See this post for Retroarch Setup Steps

Artwork Collection

Honestly no I've never tried playing it through Retroarch. Simply because I can run Quake, Doom, Doom 2, Heretic, Hexen etc etc with an MS-DOS emulator.

I personally use Magic DosBox and it can be "integrated" into Hypersin BUT it's quite a faff to do so. I opted to just add a shortcut into my Kodi homescreen to launch Magic Dosbox. It shows the boxart for the games which is good enough for me. A lazy work around I know but as I launch Hyperspin mostly through Kodi as well, it makes sense for my setup.

21 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

@nrapley

How are you setup

Quake Main Menu

Sub menu with 1 quake game in the Quake database xml? Or more if you have it.

The game file in the xml should be PAK0

PAK should be in your extensions line in the .ini file also.

FYI i have not tried this yet

Nigel does need to provide more info. The rompath isn't stated either from his .ini snippet

I think it would make more sense to setup a DOS wheel personally with a dedicated emulator, just add in a few games to keep it simple. I do use retroarch quite often to emulate systems but it's not always the way forward.

47 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

Nigel does need to provide more info. The rompath isn't stated either from his .ini snippet

I think it would make more sense to setup a DOS wheel personally with a dedicated emulator, just add in a few games to keep it simple. I do use retroarch quite often to emulate systems but it's not always the way forward.

Each to their own. I'm going to test it out as its aways fun to find the answer.

Pygnosis Owl cleaning postponed today :) although im shattered so PS doesnt sound appealing tonight

13 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Each to their own. I'm going to test it out as its aways fun to find the answer.

Pygnosis Owl cleaning postponed today :) although im shattered so PS doesnt sound appealing tonight

It would make sense if it was a Quake wheel and you launch the main game and expansions separately from within it I suppose. Question is whether there's the artwork available to do that

Only reason I've not done a DOS wheel is I have too many games and don't want the aggro, Amiga is bad enough ;) Can't blame you for not wanting to spend a night Photoshopping to be fair.

Well it works ok,

Artwork is probably an issue, OP caught me on a good day so I had a more than half arsed go at it lol....

Not a perfect setup by anymeans but gives someone a start. Assets attached below (Video snap not included as mine are from EmuMovies)

Setup Steps..

Open RetroArch -> Online Updater -> Core Updater

Download Quake core

Online Updater -> Content Downloader

Download Quake (Shareware)

Moved downloaded file to your roms directory if you want

Open the game in RetroArch to test

Download and adjust my assets as required for YOUR Hyperspin.

DONT use my settings file (Quake.ini) COPY the relevant lines from the file into your own settings file.

I only found 1 theme by Klopjero, used it for default and Main Menu. It was not Android compatible.

Resized Artwork3 and change location/rest animation

Removed particle animation stuff from Theme.xml.

Assets

Quake.xml

Quake.ini

Quake.png

Main Menu Wheel

I even busted out Photoshop for this!!!!! Very pleased with myself

(Slapped wrists though as I used Fotosizer :) )

Quake.zip (Main Menu Theme)

PAK0.png

Game Wheel

default.zip (System Default theme-same as Main Menu)

3 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

Pretty slick for a rushed job! You do realise people will want you to do Doom for retroarch as well now ;) 

Lol... thanks for the compliment but not up to standard, no pointer, main menu and default theme the same, half wheel covered by background, game logo hardley visible, wrong text colour, iD logo covered by text....um think thats it....oh slow video in timing :)

I think there are doom colections out there already....dont think I will do those. Amiga still needs me. Was helping out with the DB and wheel art set yesterday. Need to get back to it tomorrow and then theres the Pysgnosis logo.

You're right...it's rubbish! ;) My Amiga proof of concept has issues and yet many like the look of it. We always find little things to try and improve :) The game wheel is repeated over and over as there is only the one entry, so just as well you can't really see it in my opinion.

Yes there are assets for the Doom collection, I don't know if people use the PrBoom core to play it though. I might give this Quake wheel a little TLC, Hono it a lil bit.

24 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

Yes there are assets for the Doom collection, I don't know if people use the PrBoom core to play it though. I might give this Quake wheel a little TLC, Hono it a lil bit

Cool go for it. Im going to keep it in my setup as i impressed myself with the main menu wheel :)

22 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Cool go for it. Im going to keep it in my setup as i impressed myself with the main menu wheel :)

Having looked into the core a bit more. I can't see how I'd get the main game and the expansions to load from their own game wheels, so I probably won't bother now

Wow! thanks for the amazing responses guys! especially thatman84 ! I was out last night and at work now, so can't try it, but I've taken the ini file you uploaded and have edited it to add my own rom path, so will test later! I've also downloaded copies of the media/themes file, thank you very much! I had previously found a theme for Quake 3 and replaced the title logo with the original Quake logo :)

I did have it on a sub-wheel of it's own main menu wheel, which seemed a bit silly, so I've now made it an item on the main wheel. :i_am_so_happy:

Cheers

Nigel

35 minutes ago, nrapley said:

Wow! thanks for the amazing responses guys! especially thatman84 ! I was out last night and at work now, so can't try it, but I've taken the ini file you uploaded and have edited it to add my own rom path, so will test later! I've also downloaded copies of the media/themes file, thank you very much! I had previously found a theme for Quake 3 and replaced the title logo with the original Quake logo :)

I did have it on a sub-wheel of it's own main menu wheel, which seemed a bit silly, so I've now made it an item on the main wheel. :i_am_so_happy:

Cheers

Nigel

I tried it out to see how it plays in the RA core, pointed the .ini to my Roms/MS-DOS/Quake/id1 folder. I don't know if we can rename the .PAK files and the game would still play. We would have to do that and use the "folder trick" in order to launch the expansion packs through Hyperspin. To me it still makes more sense to do a DOS wheel honestly.

Thatman's dirty setup does look quite good, he's overly critical at times ;) If you omit the pointer.png from the images/other folder and use a transparent .png for the game wheel it would tidy up the look of the game theme some what.

All the best with it.

3 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

Thatman's dirty setup does look quite good, he's overly critical at times ;) If you omit the pointer.png from the images/other folder and use a transparent .png for the game wheel it would tidy up the look of the game theme some what.

Maybe a little but thats the Hyperspin way :)

Clear pointer is a very good idea. I will have another play tonight fingers crossed. Need to see what RA can really handle and grab the other .pak files

3 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

If you want something that looks a little different for the main menu theme, I've attached one It's nothing fancy. Just a background of the Quake logo on chequered plate, a hovering video border and the Quake logos pulsing in the bottom corners.

Quake.zip

Themeshot.png

Thanks for this Hono,

So I got the backend working fine. I think this can now be a legit Collection wheel with 5 seperate entries. All working with Tyrquake core

Just need the artwork sorting. and some metadata for the database. Age ratings and shareware Manufacturer/Year

Quake.xml

Well this is another fine mess you've gotten me into!! ;) Happy to be proven wrong though...

I had some game wheel art but doesn't cover the complete collection sadly. I've crudely made some up with the Quake font, which you'll find attached. They will need renaming and they must live in their own folders within the Images/Wheel folder, for the "folder trick" to work. Simple enough to work out from the Quake.xml you provided.

I'm sure someone else can do a MUCH better job but it's a start. just the video snaps to really worry about now.

dimension.png

id1.png

shareware.png

eternity.png

armagon.png

9 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Team work!

looks good dude, your so quick at this stuff :)

Yeah not bad for a rush job! I didn't include the Shareware version, so it's just Quake and the 3 expansions for Quad Damage & Quadruple the fun! ;)

I made some tweaks to the other theme, I've edited my earlier post to include that Default.zip. 5 game wheels are there for those who want to use them. Video snaps I won't be sharing but they were easy enough to make as the STV can record what we play. Remember peeps the video snaps also must live in their own named folders like the wheel art, for the "Folder Trick" to work.

I'm sure someone else will do a much better job of this BUT it shows what can be done :)

Yeah I have those :) The episode 5 expansion is only a couple of years old...it was done to celebrate the 20th anniversary.

I didn't have time to try and duplicate that style for the missing game wheel. You said you wanted a 5 piece set hence me doing a matching collection. I didn't include the Shareware wheel personally, Shareware is just a "mega demo", giving away a level/chapter of the game free to try before you buy.  

I should have really turned off the yellow text in Retroarch when I recorded my video snaps. Oh well... It'll do for me, I wasn't even that bothered about doing this Quake wheel initially ;) I'll attach a matching system wheel, if people want to use it or frame it in their own borders.

Quad damage collection.png

Cool! 

I toyed with using the chequered plate from the background in the theme, for the wheel art as well.

I'm out, as I'm pressed for time. I'm reasonably happy with what i have thrown together. I'm sure the genuine content creators will do a great job if this collection takes their interest. 

Have a great weekend my friend

Archived