Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

(Tutorial) ScummVM with RetroArch

thatman84

Hyperspin Android ScummVM with RetroArch

Credits
JLeaver
Norkusa
reznnate
badhemi
sting

honosuseri
sanchezmike01
aftermath17
Pouteur
krater9

What is it?

ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. The clever part about this: ScummVM just replaces the executables shipped with the games, allowing you to play them on systems for which they were never designed!

Assets and Links

Latest ScummVM release at time of posting Dec 17, 2017: ScummVM 2.0.
Diskmach Updated Database ScummVM 2.1
Latest HyperSpin database ScummVM 1.8

Working RetroArch core at time of posting scummvm 2.0.0 93d1ca1
Location of current core

How to setup...

Grab these setup files as they will be needed.
(Includes the Android XML and "Official" XML databases)

1. Follow this guide to set up RetroArch ScummVM core directly
  2. Get your games and place them in folders named after this spreadsheet OR download the above setup files and create folders for them (with help of the below guide)
  3. Follow this guide to setup the folder structure for Hyperspin Android "folder trick"
  4. Use the below ini file settings for reference and add the system to your Hyperspin wheel as any other

exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture
romextension=scummvm
parameters=cores/scummvm_libretro_android.so

Run Hypersync with the NON android xml as its not compatible with sync.

The progress sheet below was adopted on the RetroArch documentaion and holds all my findings. I did duplicate 1 game to aid with android setup

I created a "simon" folder for the Simon the Sorcerer's Puzzle Pack as all the games are in one folder.

Backup of Working Core

scummvm_libretro_android.so.zip

Helpful Links

https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree/master/dists/engine-data

https://www.scummvm.org/

https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/2.0.0/

http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles

Who the **** is Honsuseri? ;)

I'll throw in some advice/useful links you can integrate into the tutorial before I depart...

1. Apply "The Folder trick" as each game must be in it's own folder. It's "tricky" as it has a knock on effect to the artwork, as they need to be in sub folders too. We must set "roms only = false" in the filter section of the scummVM.ini file, setting true even if you have the "roms" won't work...you'll just get kicked back to the main menu of HS. It's really not too bad once you get the hang of it...You can link your own guide dude ;)

2. Each game folder requires it's own .scummvm file in there. This file will launch the desired game and it's what we "Trick" Hyperspin into thinking are the actual roms. Here (https://github.com/RobLoach/libretro-database-scummvm/tree/master/games) is a link to premade .scummvm files. HOWEVER they will need renaming to match the Hyperspin's ScummVM.xml named entries. If you want to make your own...just create a text file  and put the shortened game name (Link here https://www.scummvm.org/compatibility/) on the first line, save it with the .scummvm extension (NOT .txt) for them to work.

3. Some games require a .DAT file for the game engine (e.g Lure of the Temptress or the 3 Kyrandia games). You'll know if it's missing, as the game will say when you try to luanch it. Link to the ScummVM Github repo to get these .DAT's here (https://github.com/scummvm/scummvm/tree/branch-1-4-1/dists/engine-data).
Edit by Thatman84
MASTER branch location for Engine Data. Above link is for ScummVM 1.4.1 branch

4. The RetroArch core can be fussy about some of the game rips. Just because the rips you have work on PC or the Official ScummVM Android app...does NOT mean that RA will like them. On rare occasions there were audio issues, I found the Mac versions would work OK to get games with voices playing correctly (only a few use these .sou files which seem to cause the kerfuffle).

5. Quitting the game in the menu takes you back to the ScummVM launcher. It is NOT necessary to add the games into the launcher. I would suggest you configure a custom key to quit RetroArch completely, this would then quit you back to Hyperspin instead to pick another game.

All the best with the write up Thatman!

Cheers mate.

I started writing then realised i need to to the folder trick one to continue!

Will probably just end up submitting a set of .scummvm files with the latest 1.8 hyperspin db. (Bit out of date but meh) @krater9 said he would help out nudge nudge lol

54 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

Who the **** is Honsuseri? ;)

You must have read it wrong....I 100% didnt just edit it :)

So I have started the slow process of LAUNCH testing these games.....Its nice work renaming and testing everything methoodically :) I am enjoying it.

You can see the progress here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a87BnQJc7_fTD5zF55JXcm79d5_l_d1ghDxtiubTnDE/edit#gid=0

I am about 70 games in to a 260 game xml recently updated by Diskmach..

Updated OP quickly with some links

1 hour ago, thatman84 said:

@Honosuseri updated your post with an alternative .dat file link. The one posted was from an old 1.4.1 branch of the ScummVM app.

Yeah no worries. I'm fairly certain they're available from the Scummvm website anyway, they're not hard to find. I posted what I used and they're confirmed working on my setup.

Glad to see you're enjoying yourself. There are some awesome games to play in this collection 

• 1 month later...

I'm having trouble doing the first part of this guide. It says to download the scummvm.zip and extract it then put it in the retroarch systems folder. I have done that. Then open the scummvm core in retroarch and set the theme and extra paths. I try to do that but it doesn't show anything up in the browser I hit go up and nothing happens. Is there a way to do it manually???

7 hours ago, kylecp1979 said:

I'm having trouble doing the first part of this guide. It says to download the scummvm.zip and extract it then put it in the retroarch systems folder. I have done that. Then open the scummvm core in retroarch and set the theme and extra paths. I try to do that but it doesn't show anything up in the browser I hit go up and nothing happens. Is there a way to do it manually???

You don't need to do any of that crap to be honest, just install the core. You won't use the ScummVM launcher in RetroArch anyway. Hyperspin will load the game directly as that's it's job. 

18 minutes ago, kylecp1979 said:

Thank you both!

I was trying to follow the setup tutorial on step 1 of this guide. I figured it out now thanks for your help!

No worries. It's definitely one of the more fiddly "systems" to setup on Android but well worth the effort. Many of the games still hold up well today and Hyperspin can show them off very well indeed 

Still having trouble.

I have all my media in folders per game and I put the scummvm files inside of each game in my roms folder and changed my scummvm database. I used the scummvm files from the download link. I can get it to work in retroarch just fine but when I use hyperspin I'll click on a game and the screen will go black for a sec then it kick's me back to the scummvm menu.

Here is my scummvm.ini

ScummVM.ini

Thank you!  Honosuseri

I figured it was something little like that.

Just for the record it is incorrect in the download pack too. If there is a chance to update it.

This has been the hardest one I have tried to setup so far but in the end it is the coolest so far too!

55 minutes ago, kylecp1979 said:

Thank you!  Honosuseri

I figured it was something little like that.

Just for the record it is incorrect in the download pack too. If there is a chance to update it.

This has been the hardest one I have tried to setup so far but in the end it is the coolest so far too!

No worries. Typos are hard to spot and cause no end of problems. 

That pack is nothing to do with me, I've never used it. I had done some videos on setting this up a long time ago. @thatman84 followed my lead and kindly did a tutorial for the "folder trick" and this one for ScummVM. 

Thank you for pointing out the mistake. I'm sure he'll fix it asap

54 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

@kylecp1979 where abouts is the .ini file.....im on the road and doesn't seem to be in the links above although I do say use it in the guide.:special:

I will update it.

Checked the pack myself and I can't see an .ini file supplied either. There's a zip for the launch files and database xml files

The ScummVM.ini file he posted has "path=H:\hyperspin\emulators\master system\" in it. I know you're quite "anal" about your ini files, doesn't look like something you'd do as that path isn't used on Android anyway.

***EDIT***

Checked your compatibility document. I can confirm that Broken Sword II - The smoking Mirror does work for me

2 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

Checked the pack myself and I can't see an .ini file supplied either. There's a zip for the launch files and database xml files

The ScummVM.ini file he posted has "path=H:\hyperspin\emulators\master system\" in it. I know you're quite "anal" about your ini files, doesn't look like something you'd do as that path isn't used on Android anyway.

***EDIT***

Checked your compatibility document. I can confirm that Broken Sword II - The smoking Mirror does work for me

Yeah didnt think i upped one but even I said it in the OP lol.....changed that.

The compatibility sheet is free to edit so just update it with your findings. I have done my bit with that for now. I am basically on a break....working til 21.30 most days then crashing out :( should slow down end of September

Archived