Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

(Tutorial) Using Games In Subfolders - "Folder Trick"

thatman84

Setting Up Systems That Have/Need Games In Subfolders

Credits
loueradun
brentg

This guide requires the text editor Notepad++
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

NOTE
A PC IS REQUIRED

Why? - HSAndroid doesn't support games stored in subfolders directly

There are a few systems that "need" games to be stored in subfolders, to retain specific rom file names and structure (ScummVM, Quake collection etc) and some that you really should organise games into subfolders to save a world of renaming "full sets" (Playstation or any large CD based system with bin/cue files or alike).

This thread was the source of this information and IS a very welcome tip for any HyperSpin Android user (I should have done this post long ago...)

Side Effects...

The main side effect of doing this trick means all media needs to be stored in subfolders...It's a simple fix but will take a little extra work on your part. (Much less than renaming everything imo)

The knock on side effects are...

• Custom database is required.
  • The roms_only filter doesn't function

How?
1. For CD based systems like PS1

Note.
For more information on databases refer to the
Tutorial Section Here.
There are tools availiable for creating databases from your rom folders automatically. You will be missing all meta data but its up to. I personally dont create databases this way but have used
Don's Tools Here to do it before. Other apps may be better... See 3rd Party Apps Here

Step 1
Your game folders along with the game file Hyperspin launches (i.e. .CUE files) must be named as stated in the xml or vice versa, as per normal Hyperspin setups require.

Screenshot (263).png

Step 2

Once your files are renamed and organised as required you will need to open the .xml database in Notepad++

• Hit control "ctrl f" to open the "Find" console
  • Choose the Replace tab (or navigate to Search=>Replace from the menu)

Under "Find What:" input

(?<=\<game name=\")(.*?)(?=\")

Under "Replace With:" input

$0/$0

And finally make sure "Regular expression" is marked in the Search ModeScreenshot (265).png

Click "Replace All" then save your file.

Exampl Output Database Entry

Note "game name" is repeated twice. "Blockids (USA)/Blockids (USA)"

</game>
	<game name="Blockids (USA)/Blockids (USA)" index=""  image="">
		<description>Blockids (USA)</description>
		<cloneof></cloneof>
		<crc></crc>
		<manufacturer>Natsume</manufacturer>
		<year>2003</year>
		<genre>Puzzle</genre>
		<rating>ESRB - E (Everyone)</rating>
		<enabled>Yes</enabled>
	</game>
	<game name="Blood Lines (

Tip

If you want to reverse these settings, use these values for the regex:

(?<=\<game name=\")(.*?)/(.*?)(?=\")
$1

One thing to note is that the regex is searching for the string <game name=" and stops when it sees the next double quote so if you have any additional spaces or a name is not the first attribute on the game element in the xml then it won't find the right string.

2. For Systems like Quake (Tyrquake core in RetroArch)

As the Quake Collection has different names for Game Folders and Game Files you would need to manually create the entries in the database.

So long as you put the "folder/gamefile" under the <game name= tag everything will work correctly.

Screenshot (267).png

Step 3 - Organising your media

As I mentioned before ALL of your "per game" media will need to be sorted into their own folder to be of any use.... The database is looking for files inside a folder named the same as the file :confused:

• Wheel Art
  • Box Art/Cart Art (Basically anthing in the Artwork 1 to 4 folders)
  • Videos
  • Game Themes (default.zip theme EXCLUDED)

For Collections like Quake some games are named the same (PAK0.pak)....In this case you will probably have to manualy organise the media or manually rename it to match the xml.

There are many methods of doing this in batch format. The quickest method I have found is a Program by EmuMovies user Tempest.

https://emumovies.com/files/file/597-roms-in-and-out-of-folders/

MAKE SURE YOU READ THE RELEASE POST.
It will put EVERY file into a folder so only run it on a folder thats artwork only
(There is a reverse program included)

Quick Steps...

1. Download the file (linked above) and unzip it.
  2. Copy the "Put Roms in Folders.exe" in to your artwork folder
  3. Double click
  4. Rince and Repeat for all types of game media you have

File2Folder1.png

File2Folder2.png

Alternativley you can use WinRAR to zip everything then unzip all files to their own folder.

Or another program that adds a shell extension to your right click menu

http://www.dcmembers.com/skwire/download/files-2-folder/

Another program I have that will browse to your directory is "File_in_Folder_Renamer.exe" but I cant find a link for that.

Respekt for writing up "the folder trick" as I like to call it. As you well know, I just pointed people to that PS thread you have given credit to.

Yes unfortunately ALL media needs to be stored in subfolders and that includes the unique game themes we sometimes use, rather than just the "default.zip" in the themes folder.

Is there a thread/guide for creating a custom database that could be added as a link in the OP? A custom database  (of just the games we want) is required as we MUST set "roms only=false" in the filters section of the .ini file for the system. Meaning ALL games are shown from the XML whether we have the game or not. If it's set to "roms only=true" nothing will display whether you have the games or not and you will just get kicked back to the main menu of Hyperspin.

Yes this trick makes doing the system more "tricky" BUT it's not really that difficult once you get the hang of it. Fine work my friend :)

1 hour ago, Honosuseri said:

Respekt for writing up "the folder trick" as I like to call it. As you well know, I just pointed people to that PS thread you have given credit to.

Yes unfortunately ALL media needs to be stored in subfolders and that includes the unique game themes we sometimes use, rather than just the "default.zip" in the themes folder.

Is there a thread/guide for creating a custom database that could be added as a link in the OP? A custom database  (of just the games we want) is required as we MUST set "roms only=false" in the filters section of the .ini file for the system. Meaning ALL games are shown from the XML whether we have the game or not. If it's set to "roms only=true" nothing will display whether you have the games or not and you will just get kicked back to the main menu of Hyperspin.

Yes this trick makes doing the system more "tricky" BUT it's not really that difficult once you get the hang of it. Fine work my friend :)

Thanks for the extra info dude. I went through the process of renaming all my sets so only used this for Quake and now scrummvm (unfinshed).

I can link the DB guides in the tutorials section and update the side effects with themes & rom filter :)

Yes I'm the same. Renamed my PS 1 images and they are in one folder not sub folders. I have used this trick for a few systems though, can't recall them all off the top of my head. Yes Doom Classics, the Quake Collection & ScummVM are amongst them.

Happy to provide the extra info. Figured it made sense for "noobs" to have a link from here, so they know how to make a gamelist xml for only the games they want shown.

On 23/04/2018 at 8:12 AM, Honosuseri said:

Updated OP....Default.zip theme works fine in the Quake collection but yes games themes need to be in subfolders.

I know you may not be getting this :)

Now to start the folder organising thing. Need to get this and Quake mods wrapped up.....TO MANY unfinished projects!

Archived