Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Shield TV: Shield Experience 7 (Android 8 Oreo)

Honosuseri

shield-blog-header-android-o-840x360.jpg

The latest update has (finally) been pushed out to my device, I've taken the plunge and installed the update to begin testing.

Personally I preferred the old homescreen layout, as I made clever use of recommendations row BUT yes Hyperspin does launch. No issues there for those of you worried about doing the upgrade. I have a decent range of wheels (i.e systems) to spin through using a range of emulators. Although Retroarch is most commonly used if possible. I'll report on issues/problems as I find them below, feel free to add your own experiences with the update.

Sega Saturn with Yaba Sanshiro 1.9.2:  Games are NOT loading through Hyperspin, emulator reports cannot initialize game. They are playing when loaded through the emulator though! I've not used this emulator in some time, so it may have been an app update rather than the STV Experience update to Oreo that's broken it in Hyperspin. I'll investigate further and see if I can resolve it. (***EDIT Resolved, see posts below for details)

Commodore Amiga with UAE4ARM: The latest version from the Google Playstore is still not working with the STV, figured it was worth trying though! There is an older .apk that can be installed instead that does work, just keep in mind to disable auto updating apps to prevent the app updating and breaking. (***EDIT: Uae4arm is now "working". see posts below for details).

1 hour ago, thatman84 said:

Nice. Not had my shield on for a week or so. Guess the update will be ready when I do then!

I wouldn't really recommend jumping on the update fella. It does fix some issues, like with the  PS4 V2 pads etc. I don't need to list the changes as Nvidia do that in the release notes.

6 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Cool. I am not keen from what I have seen. Also the screenshot and record features are gone which is annoying as hell for me

Yes I was about to comment on that! Was very useful, as we used it to capture game footage for the video snaps doing the Quake collection!

4 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Yep! If only I remembered to turn the sound up on mine! Actually I think I will try and do those again tomorrow....having you around has motivated me ?

We had a very niche use for it to be fair. Not that I do the Youtube videos anymore but when I did use it the mic quality was awful, if you plugged in a webcam it didn't use the mic from the cam. Was nice to grab screenshots and game footage but anyone serious about creating content would use a capture card.

I might look into sideloading some apps for recording, as I was making Hyperspin content for the Android wheel. I think it's AZ Screen Recorder that I used on Android phones, there will be many to try no doubt. 

Resolved the issue with Yaba Sanshiro. Parameters line in the Saturn.ini file needed editing, it used to work so an app update must have changed things. I'll provide a snippet from my .ini file below...

[exe info]
path=
rompath=/storage/emulated/0/Hyperspin/Roms/Sega Saturn
userompath=true
exe=org.uoyabause.uranus/org.uoyabause.android.Yabause
romextension=bin,cue
parameters=org.uoyabause.android.FileNameEx

Well a few days in and so far so good! I hope this thread is helping those of you wondering whether you should update your STV.

I'm still not that keen on the new homescreen. They've ditched the wallpaper and "recommendations" or suggestions as they are now known, do not change the backdrop. Pity as it was quite cool to see artwork for movies and games in the background. In all honesty I've always used SPMC (i.e Kodi) as a homescreen replacement, so for me it's only a minor irritation.

Losing the Nvidia Share tool is a kick in the balls to many of us. Apparently they are working on something new for recording and sharing gameplay, let's hope we don't have to wait too long for it to be implemented.

One small thing is the Hyperspin Icon needs to be updated for Android O. Right now, it is not as pretty and is just the HS circle with a gray background. I hope to see some Android development and some new features added too.

Otherwise, it is working well for me on the Shield with Android 8.

The Geforce Now service has been upgraded. We can now play games from our steam or uplay libraries. Even Fortnite by epic games can be played.

Tried out the "rebooted" Doom and Metal Gear Solid: Phantom Pain. They looked great and played just as well. The games have to be "installed" on Nvidia's virtual machine but this takes seconds to do. 

Worth checking out as it's free to us Shield users, whilst in beta testing. If they get the pricing right for this, it will make the STV an even more impressive "console". 

The apps row you can customize, remove what you don't want and put in your own favourites.

Everything below are channels. Apps need to support this feature but if they do, you get some suggestions next to them. It's like recommendations row 2.0

There's a cheap app to buy which allows better customisation, even custom art for the tiles. It's name escapes me at the moment, I'm not bothered about it as I use KODI as a home screen replacement 

Might as well upload some screenshots of how mine does look. I did set two Nvidia games channels, for free to play and the free included Geforce Now titles. 

Live channels is using my HD Homerun quad TV tuner. These tiles are actually "Live!" and will preview the channel if left highlighted.

As I said I've already put time into customising the Kodi Homescreen, so I don't really need to do much with the stock STV UI

Screenshot_20180714-225235.png

Screenshot_20180714-225249.png

Screenshot_20180714-225402.png

4 hours ago, ciscosurplus said:

any issues with Dolphin emu (gamecube)? since the update mine won't load from hyperspin (can't load the emulator) but can load them up directly. 

No issue. Just launched Star Fox Assault through Hyperspin.

While on the subject of building from scratch I started a clean install from shield 8. 

The other thing I noticed was on retroacrch wouldn't play ball with saturn (either core) and the play store version of Yaba Sanshiro wouldn't open anything so had to download the latest beta and side load.

Similar with Riecast as well, play store version can be installed but can't even be seen to launch and wouldn't boot any games. Ive been documenting as I got hoping to write up a guide as lots of tweaks / changes

42 minutes ago, ciscosurplus said:

Hmm maybe its my version of Dolphin, I tried the app store version and latest from the website, what build version of Dolphin Emu are you using? 

I will also try some other games 

iirc it's version 5.0 6050 I have installed. I'll put a snippet from my .ini file below...

[exe info]
path=
rompath=/storage/emulated/0/Hyperspin/Roms/Nintendo GameCube
userompath=True
exe=org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu/org.dolphinemu.dolphinemu.ui.main.MainActivity
romextension=gcm,iso,
parameters=AutoStartFile
searchsubfolders=true
pcgame=false
winstate=HIDDEN
hyperlaunch=true

29 minutes ago, ciscosurplus said:

While on the subject of building from scratch I started a clean install from shield 8. 

The other thing I noticed was on retroacrch wouldn't play ball with saturn (either core) and the play store version of Yaba Sanshiro wouldn't open anything so had to download the latest beta and side load.

Retroarch isn't always the way forward. I've already discussed getting Yaba Sanshiro working earlier in this thread. I have Reicast working as well, it's not Android Oreo that's the problem.

27 minutes ago, ciscosurplus said:

How do you get that Exe report ?

It's an app called Quickshortcutmaker. It's handy for the .exe but doesn't tell you what to use on the parameters line. I can recommend another Frontend called Arc Browser. Yes it costs money but compliments Hyperspin well on my Shield TV and I use it on my Nokia 8 phone, as Hyperspin is NOT compatible with it. The dev. Freelancer makes templates for systems, you can copy the settings he uses for your Hyperspin ini files..takes some of the guess work out of it.

Archived