Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Which graphics card???

mike123123

Hi all

I dug out a old forgotten pc and set out to see if I can solely use it for hyperspin

The only emulators I want to run are sage systems, PlayStation 1 and nintendo 64.

I have pentium e5200 at 2.5GHz, 3gb ram ddr2 with a msi Boston motherboard and looking for a cheap graphics card to run them smoothly (if at all possible lol)

Any help would be welcomed 

Not sure about what specs are needed, 3gb ram seems a little low to me... also my advice for video cards is always the same. Get the most expensive one you can afford! In your case do you even have a pci express slot?

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Yea I have psi expansion slot. To be honest I'm after I graphics card that cheap but will still do the job as I'm planning on making a arcade cabinet for my bar and not sure how often it will be used so don't really want to waste a lot of money if it doesn't get used much

Try looking for a 2nd hand 750Ti for sale. More than man enough for what you want and is power efficient. It draws it's power from the PCI-E slot so we don't have to have the conversation about whether the Power supply you have is up to snuff.

Looks like a fake to me I wouldn't buy it. Most sellers make a point of saying what brand it is. Like Asus, Gigabyte, EVGA etc.

You could keep an eye out for Shield TV boxes too. It'll run those systems very well, i know as I own an STV. As it's for a bar, the multimedia grunt for movies and music could be useful. 

There's a helpful community for Android users here

You can go back quite a ways and still run PS1 and N64 fine.

I'm using a gtx 280 on the machine I'm dedicating to. I got three of them for next to nothing on a local buy and sell site. The main appeal for me is that they come from a time that GFX cards still had s-video ports so it means I can s-video to component cable to a crt tv.

Was in a similar situation where I dug out an old pc. It was pretty fun to buy upgrades for next to nothing off ebay to upgrade the cpu and ram.

Though there are limitations sometimes and it's easy to forget nowdays but PC's really were a mess of compatibility issues back in the day. Some of the issues I ran into was that though my pc was one of the earliest to support 64 bit, the cpu's I can get for it (I upgraded to a dual core woohoo) aren't supported by 64 bit versions of windows 7 or 10. Also I had a spare SSD I figured I would use, though my motherboard obviously is too old to have any idea what to make of it. I think RAM caps out at 4 gigs also. On that note, you should be fine with 3 gigs, 4 gigs is recommended as windows will use a fair bit on it's own, but you can get by with 3. That said there is a decent chance you can cheaply upgrade your RAM and it's well worth it.

I guess though the newer cards are probably a little bit more power efficient and won't hurt the bank while still having plenty of power if you look at getting like a 650 or something. 

I would highly recommend looking through on whatever your local buy and sell website is (mine is gumtree) to get the best possible price, most PC parts from the same era as your PC are practically given away by people who have finally bought newer PC's.

I saw quite a few gtx 460s for sale there on ebay. It's the minimum GPU recommended for Dolphin to do Gamecube and Wii. I did literally give mine away to a friend so they could do some emulation. 

Older GPUs do use more "juice", iirc my 460 wanted a 6 and an 8 pin power connection. The 960 which replaced it is 6 pin, the 1050Ti is on par for performance but needs no extra power supplied...like the 750ti

If the OP buys an older GPU then a new PSU would be advisable and check it has the connections needed for the GPU.

if your "most recent" systems are PS1 and N64,  you do not need a high end card,  you don't even need a medium range video card.

the raspberry pi can run this systems and the video graphics for the pi are very low end.

their is a high probability that your on board graphics, from your mother board will be able to run those systems. (you should try it before you decide to buy a video card)

if I was you  I would buy a 1-2 year old name brand video card that can run with  the latest version of Retroarch. more then likely you don't need to spend more then $50 on it.

17 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

I saw quite a few gtx 460s for sale there on ebay. It's the minimum GPU recommended for Dolphin to do Gamecube and Wii. I did literally give mine away to a friend so they could do some emulation. 

Older GPUs do use more "juice", iirc my 460 wanted a 6 and an 8 pin power connection. The 960 which replaced it is 6 pin, the 1050Ti is on par for performance but needs no extra power supplied...like the 750ti

If the OP buys an older GPU then a new PSU would be advisable and check it has the connections needed for the GPU.

For sure, I should of mentioned I guess I forgot I had to upgrade my PSU to even accommodate the older GPU. So it's worth considering because I spent more upgrading that than anything else, my reasoning as I said was because I was after the s-video connection which you can only find on older cards for the most part.

So yeh while older cards are quite cheap to find, so are low tier versions of newer cards. You should check and see what power supply you already have, there are a few websites where you can punch in your pc components and it will give you an estimate of how much power you will need.

Archived