Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

WIP: New/First cabinet build.

ZacUSNYR

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the good feedback everyone. I know this is taking a while to put together, but hopefully we'll be able to put more time into it now that the holidays have passed. :) Everything has been coming together better than I thought it would for a first time build. We'll keep pluggin' away and keeping you all updated on our progress.

Thanks again!

-Ray

That strip looks pretty cool and looks like it'll do the trick! Looking forward to seeing more progress :)

Got the Belkin remote switching surge strip today. It's pretty cool. The battery in the remote is replaceable. It takes a LR23A L1028 12v battery. The remote and the surge protector have 3 dip switches on each to setup different channels if you have multiples of these in your home/office.

There is also a mount for the remote that can either be double sided taped on or screwed in. We'll have to figure out where the best place to mount this would be. All in all it's pretty cool.

6 of the outlets are operated via the remote wireless switch, and two of the 8 total outlets are always on.

belkinswitchsurge.jpg

Just ordered one of these : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812107174&cm_re=belkin_remote-_-12-107-174-_-Product

12-107-174-S11?$S640W$

Belkin Surge protector with a wireless remote On/Off switch.

Figured it'd work well for a "one switch to power all" solution :)

We'll probably be doing some wiring this weekend.

That's EXACTLY what I need (Don't want to wire a power button and fry my cmputer lol). Question though, will turning this on with the remote automatically boot the computer too?

Most computers have an option in the bios with what to do on power restore, most are set by default to "Do nothing" or "Last state". The board we're using has a setting for "Power on". So as soon as power is reinstated to the machine it turns on.

Well, Zac and I got together to work on the project again today. We mounted the computer power supply, re-positioned the hard drive mount, had to move the audio components further away from the TV (because it was causing a hum), neatly ran and zip tied wires out of the way, tested the Belkin surge protector (works great!), tweaked the video card settings, and cut out and installed the front on the cab (we'll be installing the coin door next time I think). Zac also worked on getting the cab online w/ wireless. I'm sure Zac will be posting pics, maybe a video/pic of me getting distracted by Splatterhouse, and a play by play on our day soon.

l8er

-Ray

We started Saturday off by ripping all the wiring/PC components out and wiring it up nicely. We also have to move the speaker amp to the top of the cabinet, it was picking up interference from the TV.

Doesn't look like we grabbed any final pictures of the wiring but here is the mounting.

mamecab1.jpg

mamecab2.jpg

For the powersupply, we cut out a piece of MDF that was larger then the power supply, unscrewed the powersupply cover from the powersupply. Drilled holes through the wood where the screws to put the cover back on go and screwed the cover into the wood. Then we mounted the cover back to the powersupply. Fits perfect :) Harddrive was moved as well.

mamecab3.jpg

mamecab4.jpg

Next up we fired up the computer and worked on getting the display looking good and getting our DD-WRT loaded buffalo router to work as a bridge (ie. higher powered, longer range, wireless-g network card)

mamecab5.jpg

F6QDulZt1gY

And of course Ray decided he had to see if MAME worked by playing Splatter House with a Keyboard :pcguru:

mamecab6.jpg

mamecab7.jpg

mamecab8.jpg

Then we cut and put on the front. 6 hours of work and that's we got done. Now we gotta take the front off and get the opening for the coin door cut. Like usual, more to come :)

We started Saturday off by ripping all the wiring/PC components out and wiring it up nicely. We also have to move the speaker amp to the top of the cabinet, it was picking up interference from the TV.

Here's how the audio components looked after we moved them. No more humming or buzzing after they were moved further from the TV :)

movedaudiocomps.jpg?1294677181

Haven't heard of that power strip. We found the Belkin on on Newegg.com, and because it had a wireless remote power switch we thought it would be perfect for our application for two reasons. One, we wanted a power switch to power on/off everything, and two it was wireless so we don't have to run or terminate any more wires than we need to.

We plan to mount the power switch on the top of the cabinet on the left or right side so you can reach up and switch the cabinet on. We have the computer plugged into one of the remote switching outlets and setup to power on when the power supply has power going to it. The TV and the speakers are also plugged into remote switched outlets.

It works great! Flip the switch on, and everything gets powered on :)

Of course you still have to shut down the computer like you normally would, but Zac is going to program a button combo in AutoIT to handle the shutdown command. So, when you want to shut down the cab, you push the button combo, it shuts down the computer properly, then you switch off the power strip. When you want to power it up again, just flip the switch on :)

After some research, The Smart Strip you are suggesting would essentially work the same way. You'd just have to wire up a power button somewhere for whatever device you chose to plug into the "Control" outlet. :)

Here's a link to the Smart Strip on Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812606001&cm_re=bits_limited_smart_strip-_-12-606-001-_-Product

-Ray

Archived