Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Difference between Arcade Classics and MAME?

avisioncame

So, I see sometimes on Youtube videos and such, "Arcade Classics" rather than MAME (which is what I have)... I was wondering, how do I obtain an Arcade Classics setup, and is it basically just another theme for MAME? Help is much appreciated. Thank you!

There are various dif types of Arcade classics....

For example. You can have your main MAME build brought to you on the wheel in theme either with "Arcade Classic" visuals or with "MAME" visuals, this is just the entire collection brought you you with 2 dif types of artwork. I like to use "Arcade Classics" for the main wheel as anyone who knows nothing about computers has no idea what MAME is. They prob think its a horses hair emulator ;)

If you want to then, like me you can get a bit more detailed with other wheels. An example of this would be to have another MAME wheel setup with only say for example Nintendo games. You could then get artwork for this to make a "Nintendo Classics" wheel. This can then be done for various other types of games within the same MAME collection. The only thing changing is the XML it chooses to pick the roms and the artwork.

You could then go one stage further. For example have a Capcom only wheel. These games are all found in the MAME database. But however you want to change the visuals and, cntrols or something lik that. You could then use a complete dif emulator to make this work. For the "Capcom Classics" wheel only you could use for example the Final Burn Alpha Emulator to run them. Same principles as above just getting a little more advanced. Its a good way to recycle your roms in various ways. Be aware however MAME is a untamed beast... with me anyways. There are so many dif versions etc that to start linking the same games to dif emulators can get complicated. In most cases it may be worth downloading a set of roms just for that emulator... for example "Zinc"

This could then go on with all kinds of different changes. Your only limited to your own imagination, skills with Google and begging for help... as I tend to do far too much ;)

Good luck!

The classic collections just specific system collections parsed out of the mame directory. This is done by having their own databases and media folders that include sorted out wheel images. The games and videos are set up to come from the mame directorys.

This is just a quick overview, I can help with further setup if needed, PM me.

I do yes, I was cheeky and nabbed from someones FTP folder, so thankyou to whoever that was!

Im uploading them as we speak to my FTP (EoooDares) now, but due to my internet this could be a good 30 mins before the upload completes. Be aware you will need a full working MAME set to play ALL the games on these XMLs

Have fun and if you have any worries PM me :D

The classic collections just specific system collections parsed out of the mame directory. This is done by having their own databases and media folders that include sorted out wheel images. The games and videos are set up to come from the mame directorys.

This is just a quick overview, I can help with further setup if needed, PM me.

This is precisely what I assumed, And I would prefer to have it used this way, as mentioned earlier "What is MAME? A horse-hair emulator?" Lol...

In the Arcade Classic database folder, there is no XML though. When I use the Wheel wizard in HyperHQ, and add "Arcade Classics" it doesn't link to any theme, it just has the generic text placeholder.

Do I rename my MAME xml ArcadeClassics.xml?

I'm a little confused.

Thank you all for your responses!

Keep all your database files as "MAME." The only change you will make are aesthetic ones (artwork/visual--frontend). Download the "Arcade Classics" theme and simply rename it to "MAME.zip" along with the wheel art. Hyperspin defaults to run all arcade games through MAME, so keep that as is to lessen your configuration steps. Just get a different wheel and theme artwork!

This is precisely what I assumed, And I would prefer to have it used this way, as mentioned earlier "What is MAME? A horse-hair emulator?" Lol...

In the Arcade Classic database folder, there is no XML though. When I use the Wheel wizard in HyperHQ, and add "Arcade Classics" it doesn't link to any theme, it just has the generic text placeholder.

Do I rename my MAME xml ArcadeClassics.xml?

I'm a little confused.

Thank you all for your responses!

You need to get the collection of wheel art for the "Classic" set you are interested in. Use Dons Tools to make a XML off the media/<Classic>/images/wheel directory.

You can just use the mame xml, but on some systems if its large and your only parsing out a few games it could slow things a bit. You still need the "Classic" wheel sets though.

Keep all your database files as "MAME." The only change you will make are aesthetic ones (artwork/visual--frontend). Download the "Arcade Classics" theme and simply rename it to "MAME.zip" along with the wheel art. Hyperspin defaults to run all arcade games through MAME, so keep that as is to lessen your configuration steps. Just get a different wheel and theme artwork!

This is what I wanted. Thanks guys!

OKAY Austin, because you dont have the XML in your Folder i take it from another Member and make an Upload into your Folder so now you have the XMl,s there...

I put the Wheelart Collection also in your Folder...

Cheers

Newer

I do yes, I was cheeky and nabbed from someones FTP folder, so thankyou to whoever that was!

Im uploading them as we speak to my FTP (EoooDares) now, but due to my internet this could be a good 30 mins before the upload completes. Be aware you will need a full working MAME set to play ALL the games on these XMLs

Have fun and if you have any worries PM me :D

Yeah sorry about that. Im at work at the moment and my block Wifi does not like torrents or FTP connections. I can work around it but for some reason it hates uploads. I will upload it in there once Im home anyways for anyone else who it may help. It includes the XML, wheels, themes and menu wheels for each classic. From the top of my head, Capcom, Nintendo, Data East, Namco etc... good luck mate!!

EDIT: Sorry, Im getting a little drunk now... no work in morning ;) However I forgot to say again, I did none of this work myself, I just nabbed it off someone. Problem is I cant remember who? But many thanks to whoever you are. Im just uploading it there to help

Not sure if this is on topic, but I have seen people talking about Arcade themes, where you can make the on screen Arcade cabinet image (the one that the snaps play in) mimic your own personal cabinet, or just about any other arcade game, as long as you have the ability to create it in photoshop, or whatever, which I do.

Does this make sense what I am asking?

Is there a basic theme I could go off of to do this? (I don't want to have to mess with theme maker, doing animations, all that, although I plan on getting into that later.)

• 2 months later...
Where can I find the Arcade Classic Theme for Mame? searched through the ftp and couldn't find it.

I have the themes for the separate manufacturers but not the system theme for Mame itself.

/Upload Here/Richardbmw/Arcade Classics

Then you should have a look in Gold Member directory /MAME default.

Is there an XML for arcade classics that has all the arcade systems merged into one? ie mame, model2, taito type x, etc.

I know i can make one but was wondering if someone already did it. Would like to avoid duplucates because mame places most zinc games now but for ones zinc plays better the xml would launch zinc. same for naomi, typex, and others.

Archived