Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Mame Clones worth playing - a complete (hopefully) list

scottjen26

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Database on FTP. "upload here\chillinwater\Attack of the clones"

I also asked (comissioned) baddeolv to create a Main and default theme for me based on this list.

We bounced around "When Clones Attack" or just "Clones" and ultimately came up with

"Attack of the Clones".

I then extracted the most current and closely matched themes and vids to go along with then Main and default themes (hope this is ok circo and all theme creators!)

-These extracted themes are not perfectly matched or 100% complete because themes just did not exist for them.

-These games\themes are clones and would have never shown up on your mame wheel if you have "Show Parents only" or "show themes only" etc....

Now they will!

The themes and assets, for a completely new wheel, are all available on ftp under

"\upload here\chillinwater\Attack of the clones"

Also included in the folder other than the main, default and extracted themes are:

-a specially formatted database showing why these games are unique (while in Hyperspin) based on the list scottjen26 created in this thread.

-a specially formatted \hyperspin\settings\AttackOfTheClones.ini

(change to your mame directories)

This helps display the info on the wheel.

-sound effects

-Main menu video - disposable (when Circo gets jiggy wit it)

use this transition to go with the Main theme (if purchased) for more fun:

-Transition (not inculded on ftp)

C:\HyperSpin\Media\Frontend\Video\Transitions\HS_K itchenSink_Slime1_800.flv

copy\rename and move to:

C:\HyperSpin\Media\Main Menu\Video\Override Transitions\AttackoftheClones.flv

Speacial Thanks to,

-BBB - transitions

-baddeolv - for Main and default theme creation (and patience)

-scottjen26 - for creating the list in the first place

-Circo - for all his videos and hard work

-All of the theme creators that made the game themes

Attached Thumbnailsattachment.php?attachmentid=8386&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1308774099 attachment.php?attachmentid=8387&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1308774108 attachment.php?attachmentid=8388&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1308774941

• 1 year later...

Thanks for reminding me about the Japanese version of Vendetta. I gotta switch that one out on my cab.

I knew when the game first added to Mame I did a full play through and was lmao at the nightclub stage with the gay guys dry humping you and making all weird noises. Then when I played through it again a couple of years later I loaded up the US version and they were missing I thought I was mistaking it for another game but it was just a region difference.

hellop guys Atlant Olimpic would also be a good game for this collection its a bootleg of track and field with other controls you can take woman or man players have other colours and many more small changes it was relased in italy for the olympic games of atlanta great multiplayer game

• 3 weeks later...

A few things...

Marvel Vs. Capcom does not have an additional character in the Japanese version unless I'm missing something. Marvel Vs. Street Fighter, however, DOES have an additional character in its Japanese counterpart.

I would include the Japanese version of The Simpsons on this list as it is quite different from the US version and appears to have been made after the US version with various fixes and gameplay changes as documented here: http://tcrf.net/The_Simpsons_(Arcade)#Version_Differences

http://www.mediafire.com/?b95c4sxckcgqpay

Okay created a XML for HyperSpin based off the first post in this thread only...other suggestions weren't accounted for.

I updated short names where possible to Mame 0.146u4.

Notes:

aceattack wasn't found...not sure if it's used in a custom build of Mame or not.

ikari3nr has since been renamed to ikari3 which makes it the Parent now...and the prior parent a clone, but is still included in the XML.

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this thread because quite a few clones were actually in the arcades. Some as add on boards for original hardware Q-Bert FHMC or tweaks like Ms. Pac Man Speed Up Hack which seemed even more rampant than the original at one point. It would be great to especially have themes for any that were commercially released. Rondar has been kind enough to offer to tweak up one for Ms Pac Man Speed Up.

I wonder how many on that list were actually in the arcades?

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but it was very helpful for me. I found a few more clones worth playing. There is the jr. pacman speed up hack to go along with the pacman and ms. pacman ones. there is also a real noticeable diffrence between tapper and root beer tapper which are both real fun games.

Can anyone think of anymore?

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this list - super helpful for me just sorting out my roms with exactly the same sort of questions!

I notice this thread is quite old and the other threads linked to are gone, but are there any further updates to this lately, or do people still think this is relatively on par?

Just one question - does the above list include all the games with translations? It definitely seems to include a few, but ideally I would like all games in English where possible unless it's different enough or not available...

Thanks!

Nice. Thanks for bumping this up from the grave.

I was recently thinking how do I find which clones to actually keep and this will help.

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but (in MAMER 169 at least) Zero Team shows as a clone with no parent so if you don't show clones it doesn't show up at all. It's what got me wondering about this. 

If anyone cares, I updated the original list with some of the updates mentioned here and a few things that I changed/altered

Game						        Parent		Clone		Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ace Attack						ace (orig game)	aceattac 	Actually a Volleyball game, clone of Ace Attacker? (no parent)
Ajax							ajax		typhoon		This version has a different stage order and possible additional level
Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja		                baddudes	drgninja	Japanese version has different background music and different ending
Cabal							cabal		cabalus		Trackball version
Captain America Avengers		                captaven	captavenu 	US version, not really that different
Combat School					        combatsc	combatsct   	Trackball version
Cyberball						cyberbal	cyberbal2p   	2 player version
D. D. Crew						ddcrew		ddcrew2		2 player version
Defend the Terra Attack			                redufo		exodus   	Slightly improved graphics
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou			                ddp3		ddp3blk		Black label edition is more playable and allows continues
Donkey Kong II					        dkong 		dkongx11 	Donkey Kong 2 hack, new levels etc
Galaga							galaga		galagamf  	Fast shoot
Galaxian						galaxian	galapx/galturbo They are faster and have faster rate of fire which makes totally different game
Gauntlet II						gaunt2		gaunt22p  	2 player version
Gauntlet						gauntlet	gauntlet2p  	2 player version
Gigas							gigandes	gigasb   	Actually a breakout game, clone of gigas? (not listed as parent)
Ikari Warriors					        ikari		ikarijpb   	Joystick hack
Joust							joust		joustr   	Pterodactyl scoring bug
King of Fighters 2005 Anniv		                kof2002		kf2k5uni	Anniversary edition, changed graphics, music, characters
Land Maker						landmakr	landmakrp	English translation
Main Event						mainevt		mainevt2p  	2 player version
Major Havoc						mhavoc		mhavocrv	Return to Vax hack, easier then original, extra levels, minor play changes
Marvel vs Street Fighter		                mshvsf		mshvsfj		Japanese version gives you an extra character
Ms. Pac Man						mspacman	mspacmnf   	Speedup hack
NBA Maximum Hangtime			                nbahangt	nbamht1		Updated roster, minor play changes
Night Slasher					        nslasher	nslasherj	Japanese version is uncensored - red blood and some different and extended scenes
Pacman							puckman		pacman 		Original pacman game
Pacman							puckman		pacmanf  	Speedup hack
Peggle							peggle		pegglet   	Trackball version
Pirate Pete						junglek		piratpet	Pirate-based version of Jungle Hunt
Qix II Tournament				        qix		qix2	        Enhanced version with different colors and bonus features
Rampart							rampart		rampart2p   	Joystick version
Robocop 2						robocop2	robocop2j	Japanese version has extra playable into leveland extra scene at the end
Salamander (Lifeforce)			                salamand	lifefrce	Enhanced US version and listed Japanese version (lifefrcej) have new graphics and improved gameplay
Shadow Warriors (Ninja Gaiden)	                        shadoww		gaiden		US (gaiden) and Japan (ryukendn) versions have different music and fighting/difficulty diffs
Simpsons*						simpsons	simpsons2p   	2 player version *I used the one below instead
Simpsons						simpsons	simpsons2pj	2 player version but with multiple fixes (https://goo.gl/mt8Gb1)
Sunset Riders					        ssriders	ssridersubc   	2 player version
Super Bubble Bobble				        bublbobl 	sboblbobla 	Super Bubble Bobble, minor changes
Street Fighter II: Hyper Fight	                        sf2hf		sf2hfj		Turbo version incorporates unofficial hacks and is supposed to be the best in the series
Tempest Tubes					        tempest		temptube   	Version of Tempest with different shapes
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles	                        tmnt		tmnt2po   	2 player version
Undercover Cops					        uccops		uccopsar	Alpha Renewal version has better graphics and additional character moves
Vendetta						vendetta	vendetta2p   	2 player version.  Also Asian versions have bikers and dogs that grab, hump, and lick the player...

If anyone cares, I updated the original list with some of the updates mentioned here and a few things that I changed/altered

Game						        Parent		Clone		Notes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ace Attack						ace (orig game)	aceattac 	Actually a Volleyball game, clone of Ace Attacker? (no parent)
Ajax							ajax		typhoon		This version has a different stage order and possible additional level
Bad Dudes vs. Dragonninja		                baddudes	drgninja	Japanese version has different background music and different ending
Cabal							cabal		cabalus		Trackball version
Captain America Avengers		                captaven	captavenu 	US version, not really that different
Combat School					        combatsc	combatsct   	Trackball version
Cyberball						cyberbal	cyberbal2p   	2 player version
D. D. Crew						ddcrew		ddcrew2		2 player version
Defend the Terra Attack			                redufo		exodus   	Slightly improved graphics
DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou			                ddp3		ddp3blk		Black label edition is more playable and allows continues
Donkey Kong II					        dkong 		dkongx11 	Donkey Kong 2 hack, new levels etc
Galaga							galaga		galagamf  	Fast shoot
Galaxian						galaxian	galapx/galturbo They are faster and have faster rate of fire which makes totally different game
Gauntlet II						gaunt2		gaunt22p  	2 player version
Gauntlet						gauntlet	gauntlet2p  	2 player version
Gigas							gigandes	gigasb   	Actually a breakout game, clone of gigas? (not listed as parent)
Ikari Warriors					        ikari		ikarijpb   	Joystick hack
Joust							joust		joustr   	Pterodactyl scoring bug
King of Fighters 2005 Anniv		                kof2002		kf2k5uni	Anniversary edition, changed graphics, music, characters
Land Maker						landmakr	landmakrp	English translation
Main Event						mainevt		mainevt2p  	2 player version
Major Havoc						mhavoc		mhavocrv	Return to Vax hack, easier then original, extra levels, minor play changes
Marvel vs Street Fighter		                mshvsf		mshvsfj		Japanese version gives you an extra character
Ms. Pac Man						mspacman	mspacmnf   	Speedup hack
NBA Maximum Hangtime			                nbahangt	nbamht1		Updated roster, minor play changes
Night Slasher					        nslasher	nslasherj	Japanese version is uncensored - red blood and some different and extended scenes
Pacman							puckman		pacman 		Original pacman game
Pacman							puckman		pacmanf  	Speedup hack
Peggle							peggle		pegglet   	Trackball version
Pirate Pete						junglek		piratpet	Pirate-based version of Jungle Hunt
Qix II Tournament				        qix		qix2	        Enhanced version with different colors and bonus features
Rampart							rampart		rampart2p   	Joystick version
Robocop 2						robocop2	robocop2j	Japanese version has extra playable into leveland extra scene at the end
Salamander (Lifeforce)			                salamand	lifefrce	Enhanced US version and listed Japanese version (lifefrcej) have new graphics and improved gameplay
Shadow Warriors (Ninja Gaiden)	                        shadoww		gaiden		US (gaiden) and Japan (ryukendn) versions have different music and fighting/difficulty diffs
Simpsons*						simpsons	simpsons2p   	2 player version *I used the one below instead
Simpsons						simpsons	simpsons2pj	2 player version but with multiple fixes (https://goo.gl/mt8Gb1)
Sunset Riders					        ssriders	ssridersubc   	2 player version
Super Bubble Bobble				        bublbobl 	sboblbobla 	Super Bubble Bobble, minor changes
Street Fighter II: Hyper Fight	                        sf2hf		sf2hfj		Turbo version incorporates unofficial hacks and is supposed to be the best in the series
Tempest Tubes					        tempest		temptube   	Version of Tempest with different shapes
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles	                        tmnt		tmnt2po   	2 player version
Undercover Cops					        uccops		uccopsar	Alpha Renewal version has better graphics and additional character moves
Vendetta						vendetta	vendetta2p   	2 player version.  Also Asian versions have bikers and dogs that grab, hump, and lick the player...

Thanks, got these all un-cloned on my setup across all my systems/manufacturers.

Add zeroteam to that list. nzeroteam & zerotm2k both show as clones of zeroteam, but there seems to be no parent.

Thanks, got these all un-cloned on my setup across all my systems/manufacturers.

Add zeroteam to that list. nzeroteam & zerotm2k both show as clones of zeroteam, but there seems to be no parent.

Good spot. zeroteam is marked as non-working so i think that's why you may not see a parent.

Is there any difference between nzeroteam and zerotm2k?

Looks like there is a zeroteam USA as well listed as a clone...

Do prototypes count? because you could add jungle boy to the list.

Unless I'm missing something Jungle Boy is a clone of Jungle King and looks roughly the same?

http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=jungleby

http://www.progettoemma.net/gioco.php?game=junglek

Archived