Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Pinball Electrical 101

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn that is freaking CLEAN! I can only wish that my wiring will come out like that. I got your message about the final draft of the tutorial. I'm not going to have have a chance to look at it until this weekend sometime. I'll check it out as soon as I get an opportunity.

that's a nice wiring, awesome!

I think you are good in soldering, so you can strengthen/disburden the current/power connection on the ledwiz a bit with 4 extra wires:

P1070607%20%28Large%29.JPG

P1070609%20%28Large%29.JPG

and finally put some heatsinks on the 4 driver chips (they get pretty hot @ load) :D

P1070612%20%28Large%29.JPG

Damn that is freaking CLEAN! I can only wish that my wiring will come out like that. I got your message about the final draft of the tutorial. I'm not going to have have a chance to look at it until this weekend sometime. I'll check it out as soon as I get an opportunity.

Thanks Dazz. After my guide if I didn't get it right I would have been flamed to death! lol. Appreciate you looking over the guide. Sent BBB a message to chuck it up as a sticky as he suggested.

that's a nice wiring, awesome!

I think you are good in soldering, so you can strengthen/disburden the current/power connection on the ledwiz a bit with 4 extra wires:

Holly shawshank redemption Chris! So its putting a parallel path for 12 volts to the common on the driver chips. How did you work that one out?

Picked up a couple of wiper motors to play with. One on the left is perfect. Noisy enough to be heard outside the cab, I assume and robust. The other, not so sure yet as its a little quiet for my liking. I have two as my brother and I are both doing cabinets at the same time.

P1000748.JPG

Wired all of my Crees up this afternoon. Found some easy push pin connectors to make life a little easier.

P1000766.JPG

The wiper motors Dazz, is another great idea from Chris's thread. Having a real motor to produce the sound for some of the mechanical motions in the game.

m6Y99Ukn55A

Video from Chris's Youtube channel.

And my apologies as I did say I was going to get back to you about the contactors. My supplier said that he could not source any US brands as they are totally different to Aus so he couldnt even get me part numbers, although any DC coil types will work from anywhere in the world. Do you know of any electrical wholesale suppliers near where you live? If you can ring them and tell them you want prices on 12 volt DC coil contactors, you might have better luck but I think you will find them to be all around the $60 plus mark. Let us know how you go.

So, what function do wiper motors have?

Also, have any US people found suitable contactors to replace the Siemans that we can't get anywhere in the US?

Dazz,

I am using the Siemens 24v contactors . I picked them up on ebay for $15 each. I am driving them with a 24v power supply that ran me about $40.

~Sam

Edited by bent98

Dazz,

I am using the Siemens 24v contactors . I picked them up on ebay for $15 each. I am driving them with a 24v power supply that ran me about $40.

~Sam

Is anyone using car solenoids? I know Hacker used some of those before the contactor rage started.

Well my pinball cabinet may be a little while off being built but there is no reason for not starting with what I have. A little practice what you preach here. :stupido:

That takes the piss!!! :afraid:

Maxxsinner, regarding the inline fuses im using, do you still need to use them for componets that also need a relay like the strobe and gear motor., and does it matter where they are placed in the circuit, as at the moment i have them screwd to the 12v screw terminal of the PSU?

fuse.jpg

Edited by lettuce

You can always put extra fuses on lead wires that feed components.

Keep in mind that two fuses on one wire would be useless though and don't add extra safety.

Always as close as possible to the powersource so that in case of a short the complete wire is always fused.

If you'd put it on the other end and there would be a short between the PSU and the fuse, you will still have problems.

However.... keep in mind that most PSU's aready have their own protection circuits and/or fuses.

Take a good look on how many amps you need on a fuse, especially with motors.

Motors tend to 'spike' when starting up.

Go to low and you blow it each time you start the engine.

To high and it will do little to nothing to protect your wiring.

I've seen guys fuse a really thin wire with a 10A fuse. In that case the wire becomes the 'burning' fuse :D

I've seen guys fuse a really thin wire with a 10A fuse. In that case the wire becomes the 'burning' fuse :D

:D I have seen a length of 2.5 mm wire glow red and burst into flames without the correct fuse. When the wire becomes the fuse.... so not cool.

Edited by maxxsinner

If your putting them inline with the mains voltage of your strobe lettuce, just make sure you turn the power off at the wall, or disconnect your machine before installing or changing the fuse. Sorry if I am stating the obvious but with the mains voltage side of things, I did 4 years of training to ensure I didn't get hurt and want to ensure no one gets a boot off mains while I am dishing out advice on here.

Still get this nervous twitch down my left side after last time...:help::D

If your putting them inline with the mains voltage of your strobe lettuce, just make sure you turn the power off at the wall, or disconnect your machine before installing or changing the fuse. Sorry if I am stating the obvious but with the mains voltage side of things, I did 4 years of training to ensure I didn't get hurt and want to ensure no one gets a boot off mains while I am dishing out advice on here.

Still get this nervous twitch down my left side after last time...:help::D

lol, i wont be adding the inline fuse to the strobe mains as it has a fuse on the plug already so need fo it that side. What i will do is add an inline fuse between my 12v psu and the relay that connects to the strobe

Guest bladex

yeah but how do you connect it to a power supply in the diagram it looks like your supposed to weld it onto the back??