Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

ArchAngel Arcade.. New Project!

RidicRick

Man that sucks but I feel the pain. I had a piece of MDF that I didn't clean and in holding it up to the monitor to measure my bezel I scratched my brand new arcade monitor and because its old school crt I couldn't repair it.

Hopefully you can get another soon and have your cab up and running. Good luck!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the cab and art looks sooooo amazing!!! We do feel your pain, I have an xbox 360 I trashed that was in my arcade, it sucks to lose such an expensive piece of equipment. Is there any access you can give me to the art you used, it is so amazing, I may just have to use it on my next build, anyway, let me know, thanks

Well, it will be a few weeks until I buy a new LCD for the cab. So here are some pics of the cabinet almost done just sitting in my garage. All I have left is a new LCD, tidy up the wiring, thick plexiglass in front of the LCD (to protect it from disasters like what happened!) and close off the back of the cabinet. Here are my pics.

Poor cabinet is sitting all alone and lonely.

g1.jpg

The left side of the cabinet showing off NVIDIA logo. As you can see the trim around the control panel is done now also.

g3.jpg

g17.jpg

Back of the cabinet, needs to be closed off and wiring a little more organized.

g4.jpg

g5.jpg

Cheap speaker system from walmart does the job great! Actually sounds good with some decent bass. I bought the $30 Altec Lansing 2.1 setup. I will probably upgrade to something more badass later on. The speaker grills are from some speakers I had laying around.

g6.jpg

g7.jpg

Computer inside the plexi window. The LanCover over the computer is a little crooked, forgot to adjust it. Plus there is so much dust on this thing when I get it to the tattoo shop it will take a month to clean. lol

g8.jpg

All the logos of everyone that has helped me throughout the last year on this project and others.

g9.jpg

g16.jpg

Sliding keyboard tray so I can do my PC gaming.

g10.jpg

g11.jpg

The mess under the control panel. No need to really organize it completely since only I see this. I used a large hinge to allow it to open. Just remember to lock it shut before tipping it on its back.. unless you want a broken monitor like me. :( And for those of you wondering, you can buy a huge 4x8 sheet of plastic at local plexiglass/plastic dealers for only $13. I used this to wrap around the control panel, put graphics over it and screwed it to the round wood dowels. And the CP might not look sturdy but it totally is. This idea might not look so pretty inside the CP but it looks great from the outside.

g12.jpg

Top of the panel. I wired up two more buttons almost hidden that are my escape and enter for switching systems and games. Also extended the control panel with thin plastic that I wrapped to match the design. This allow for a much less gap between the cp and cabinet.

g13.jpg

g14.jpg

I got the 4 coin mechs wired up. When I spliced these into the 4 coin buttons connected to the ipac4 I noticed something weird. My coin buttons no longer worked and only the coin mechs worked. So what I did was hooked up a switch inside my control panel to the negative wire that went to the 4 coin mechs.. now when I turn the switch on the coin mechs work and not the buttons.... turn the switch off the coin mechs dont work and the buttons work fine... I really like this and I am glad I figured it out. I can now only let people play with quarters in MAME if I ever wanted to. Of course I will have a bucket of tokens for them to use instead. :) Not actually going to charge anyone to play.

g15.jpg

I would like to thank NVIDIA, EVGA, ASUS, CRUCIAL, DANGERDEN, CASEAPPEAL, Koolance, GUNNAR, Western Digital, Darth Beavis from Outoftheboxmods.com and Hacker AKA EqDruid for your support and helping me get this project up and running. I will post more pics and video when it is completely finished or if I do any changes. I am working on making design plans for anyone who wants to build this same or similar cabinet for themselves.

Very very cool man, truly a work of art and I hope to see this one in action in person one day, truly a dream machine.

Might I suggest clear laminated glass to go in front of the monitor, plexi and lexan dull way too easy to be in front of a monitor, and lami glass is very strong and more scratch resistant than anything else used in this application, you can get it cut to size from any auto or commercial glass shop, or if you are close to west texas come see me and I'll hook you up for free. and yes, I would love to have the design plans and any art you would like to put up with them.

Congrats on a job well done!

Laminated glass huh? *writes that down*.....

Your cab is superb I must say, something for me to shoot for as I finish mine.

I was just going to do a plain cab, but after seeing yours, I like the window idea, might try something on the side of mine for that

Thanks SORHP, I will look into the laminated glass locally. About 2 inches all the way around will have more graphics to match the cabinet and the hyperspin logo, this way you will not see the frame of the LCD. This is just a sample I did with photoshop. It will of course look much better when it is actually done and I take pics.

hyperspinlogoonArcade.jpg

This computer is my last years contest rig for CPU magazine.

CPU= Intel Quad Core Q6600 overclocked to 4ghz

GPU= GTX 280 overclocked slightly

MB= EVGA 790i Ultra

RAM= 1333 8gb Crucial Ballistix Tracers DDR3 overclocked to 1800

PSU= 950 watt Coolmax

Cooling= DangerDen radiators and Koolance GPU/CPU blocks and Koolance Pump.

Hard Drives= Four 150gb 10,000 Velocity Raptors running in raid 0

Extra Hard Drives= 2TB for Hyperspin emulation, 1TB for music, 6TB for HD movies.

Case= AV8 by CaseAppeal with custom green acrylic Lan cover

Sound= X-Fi Sound Blaster

My arcade cabinet has other company logos such as ASUS because I didn't know what computer of my two gamers I was going to use, so I printed all the logos of everyone that supports my builds. LOL

Thanks for being so descriptive, I'm in the middle of a new build myself, I got a baby on the way, so it may take about 6 more weeks until I unfreeze funds to make it happen...

The presentation of the pc looks great, I'm really diggin the case, I got a corsair 600t, but that AV8 looks killer. do you recommend the koolance watercooling over everything else, or have you found a better setup since you built that one?

A friend of mine owns CaseAppeal that made the AV8. Then he had a new model called the AVZ which my newest gamer build is in. Unfortunately he closed shop due to personal reasons otherwise I could hook you up and get you a case. I like Koolance for watercooling but DangerDen guys I know personally and they are amazing, they answer emails quick, have top of the line products and are always available for help when needed. So I guess in my opinion I would for sure go with DangerDen for your watercooling and modding needs.

thats too bad that he had to shut it down, that design is the best way to showcase a pc that I've seen. thanks for the dangerden recommendation, I will go that route when I get the chance to blow some cash on my new build!

• 2 weeks later...

OMFG this is awesome!! :-D What a great job man, seriously! I'm planning on building my own cabinet down the road (when i get the funds), and if I can make it look half as kool as this I will be stoked. I love the slide out keyboard and mouse and the clear plexiglass showing off that beast of a PC.

Here's a question tho: did you go with the liquid cooling out of necessity? I know you have it overclocked and all, but would it be burning up without the liquid (running at stock speeds)? Or did you just do that cuz its badass?

Man, I am going to come get a tattoo just so I can check out ur cabinet, lol. Awesome work dude! my condolences on the monitor tho :-(

Just put tinted lami-glass in front of my monitor. Exteme;y happy with this approach as my son gets pretty worked up playing games. A little protection now or an expensive TV latter! I'll take the glass and the tint makes the color pop wile hiding the monitor frame, looks real slick. Love the cab man, the art work is off the wall, in a very good way!!

Hey KD5, do you have video or pics of the tinted lami-glass? I am really interested in putting that on my cab and want to make sure it wont take away any brightness or colors of the LCD. Thanks

I have my tattoo shop almost done and I will post pictures and video of the cabinet in there in the next week or so. Also I got a new LCD.. a nice 120hz Vizio that fits perfect. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I got the new LCD in my cabinet and got it working 100% thanks to my buddy H4CK3R. Our shop isn't even open yet and it is already a big hit! The fact they can play for free really makes everyone happy.

tatshop2.jpg

I wrapped the wall in the shop with new vinyl called Phototex.. pretty amazing stuff.. I can take it off a year later and move it to another wall if I want. I think I will use this to wrap behind the arcade cabinet to give it more of an old brick arcade building look..

tatshop1.jpg

Also all my surrounding businesses don't approve of a tattoo shop near them.. so.. yeah.. I decided to buy the biggest mailbox I could, wrap it with tattoo designs and set it next from their "tiny" boxes... lol let's see how long it takes for it to be stolen

tatshop3.jpg

• 6 months later...

RidicRick, I saw your video on YouTube and signed up to this forum because of it! Props to your for your vision and, more importantly, for SHARING it with us!

Okay, forgive me if any of these questions are inappropriate, as I am a noob:

1. you advised you were working on plans to share for others to reproduce your build. any updates on this?

2. willing to give us an idea at the total cost of this project? i know a lot of it was comp'ed, but just a ballpark would be appreciated. (i have captured the pc spec you replied with earlier in this thread, so i can do the math on that portion. if you could include it, though, that would be appreciated!)

3. have or would you produce this build for payment? i know it is not your core competency, so to speak, but gotta ask!

Again, forgive me for my bluntness, but I am excited at the prospect of even having something CLOSE to what you produced!

Chaseman1973

chaseman1973, PM me your email and I will email you information and help you get a machine like this built. Thanks for your input and I am glad you signed up for this forum, feels good knowing my build is creating interest and helping others.

Circo, thanks bud, I enjoyed every minute of this build.

• 1 month later...

Nothing special, just a quick video of my cabinet in action. All the new controls should be coming in soon. I ordered LED joysticks and buttons from paradisearcadeshop and I picked up a better tinted glass to go over the LCD screen to finish it off. AND I am changing the graphics to something more easy on the eyes. To help customers figure out what buttons do what.

Archived