Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

ArchAngel Arcade.. New Project!

RidicRick

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I left the trackball plate exposed because at the time I built this (last year) I have never worked with wood before. Only tool Ive ever owned was a drill. So I went to Menards and bought $500 in tools and have been working on cabinets since. Next time I do a trackball mount it will be better. :)

Thanks Memnoch9299. It took 3 sheets of 4x8 Melamine MDF and the rest isnt really that bad for a basic setup. I put an expensive computer in it that was overkill because honestly that 42" right in my face for PC gaming was to close and made me dizzy, but for arcade games it was perfect. With 42" LCD's getting really cheap you could easily build this entire setup yourself for around $1500 with a basic $300 barebone PC.

WOW! I was going through your thread and just reallized I haven't even commented on this as of yet. THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME! Great job dude! I especially love the keyboard pulling out above the Control panel like that, vs under. (wish Id thought of that) Did you print that art yourself? If you did, how much would you charge to print me some side art for my Pedestal cab?

• 1 month later...

Wow, that's an amazing cabinet. One of the most unique and distinctive builds I've ever seen. It SCREAMS professional. The all-over artwork wouldn't be to my personal taste, but given that it's going in a tattoo shop it's very fittingly decorated, and the wrapping and vinyl work is second to none. That NASA supercomputer you've got in it is an awesome spec too, i am seriously jealous.

Are you running your emulators with any kind of interpolation or just outputting the raw, unprocessed graphics? Do you or your customers find it difficult to play on such a big screen from so close up? I'd imagine playing an old blocky 8 bit nes game on such a massive rig from 18 inches away from the screen would make my head bleed.

Running my emulators with the defualt settings in the emulator, there is things I could do in the emulators to improve performance but really it plays great the way it is. As far as the screen being to big it is actually perfect for all the emulated games and many PC games. But.. the ONLY games it does not work well with is Call of Duty type games because you are just simply too close and it will mess with your eyes. The 42" LCD really comes in handy when you have 4 players playing the old simpsons or turtles games or any 4 player game really.

• 4 months later...

Hi RidicRick,

First off just want to say that your arcade is crazy awesome, it blew me away! Using your tattoo art on the cabinet as the decal is a pretty sweet idea that turn out well. I want to make my own cabinet based off your design I was wondering if you could PM me your blue prints. I am still in the planning stage of my first cabinet and you mentioned your cabinet was very sturdy and won't tip, is it because of the weight of the computer on the bottom? Any help you can give I would appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Well.. been along time since I posted on the forums.. been really busy with my crazy life. Gave away my ownership of my tattoo shop, graphics business isnt doing so well and on top of it my girlfriend is prego, expected delivery May of next year. Anyways, I decided to get rid of my large hyperspin arcade to a good friend of mine, he is trading me his gorgar pinball and two cocktail cabs for my cabinet. The cabinet was gutted and ready for an entire redo. So I put a new LCD in it, new graphics, new controls and new PC in it with his wimpy hyperspin collection, I may be nice and give him my better collection down the road when I get mine rebuilt (lost mine from my hard drive taking a crap, near brand new 3tb toasted and I didnt have a backup). So here are a few pictures of the transformation. The bezel and a few other things are getting done this weekend and then it will be finished.

My buddy wanted a crazy busy design with a ton of arcade characters on it, so that is what he got.. LOL..

hypercade1.jpg

hypercade3.jpg

hypercade2.jpg

Almost finished, waiting on the smoked bezel to get done. Then apply the graphics to that.

hypercade5.jpg

Here are the two cocktails.. in great shape and working perfect! Except mspacman.. sound needs fixed. Gorgar pinball gets picked up this weekend, having a new LED kit put in.

hypercade4.jpg

Dude! I love that artwork you did for your buddy! I'm going to be building a full size cab (not quite as large as yours) as soon as I finish up my current project and was wondering if I could get you to do the artwork (for $ of course)? Let me know if you are interested!

So let me get this strait! You redid your awesome Archangel arcade? WOW! I really liked that machine. Anyway, I like the mess of characters you have in there. I did something similar for a friend of mine, and posted pics of it over at BYOAC and they pretty much ripped it apart. Someone else did the art work, I just built the cab and had some input on some of the art. I'd be curious to hear what theyd say if you posted pics over there. In the end, it's all about what the person your doing the project for wants. If it makes him happy, that's all that matters!

Damn I'm impressed! Beautiful work! One of the nicest cabinets I've seen! Rick when you get a chance send me a PM with a price on what it would cost for sides and a 2 player control panel. I'm using an old Dragons Lair 2 cabinet that was converted to a Teken Tag. When you get a chance. No rush. Gratz on becoming a Daddy BTW!

Scott

Awesome machine man! I didn't catch this or the older version posts until today.

I like the original alot as well. The Urban vibe in a Mame machine is cool, mass appeal to your audience. On the remake; I love the environment design - the dot matrix blue and white... it let's the characters pop off the background. Beautiful layout over the entire machine. Impressive!!

Gorgar is the bomb; and 2 cocktails, I'd kill for one. I'm working on a NFL Blitz super huge Mame machine. I'll post pics when she gets started soon.

Sorry to hear your shop is no more. Tough business to be in. I'm trading with Brad at Bowman to print my graphics. The 2 of us are going to have some pretty sick machines coming out soon. I really like his work. Your stuff looks great, keep up the excellent work. I love to see other machines in all their glory!!

Hi RidicRick,

I'm about to have a crack at building my first arcade rig. I have some electrical skills but I have zero woodworking skills.

You've done such a brilliant job with your set-up, do you mind sharing with me some of your plans or tips?

cheers :)

Archived