Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

ArchAngel Arcade.. New Project!

RidicRick

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who have played on larger monitors, how is it? Do you find yourself moving your head too much when playing? I'm looking at a similar build with a 32" or 37"/39"/40". The 32" seems like it would be ideal at a distance of 2 ft.

My cabinet is going to double as a TV for our home gym, so I'd like to go as big as I can within reason. Decisions, decisions... Any help would be appreciated.

A large LCD even at 42" is perfect, because old games still play in a smaller scale leaving many inches of black screen on the left and right side (unless of course you make it stretch to fit which I wouldn't do). Even the newer games like street fighter IV that use the entire screen are perfect and you don't really have to look around or moving your head much. But.. that said sitting 2 feet in front of a 42" screen makes it near impossible to play fps games like Call of Duty, but if its an arcade cabinet you probably wont be playing those on there anyway. All of the newer games at Dave and Busters have 42"+ LCD's and you stand about 3 feet away and they work fine as well.

A large LCD even at 42" is perfect, because old games still play in a smaller scale leaving many inches of black screen on the left and right side (unless of course you make it stretch to fit which I wouldn't do). Even the newer games like street fighter IV that use the entire screen are perfect and you don't really have to look around or moving your head much. But.. that said sitting 2 feet in front of a 42" screen makes it near impossible to play fps games like Call of Duty, but if its an arcade cabinet you probably wont be playing those on there anyway. All of the newer games at Dave and Busters have 42"+ LCD's and you stand about 3 feet away and they work fine as well.

Thanks for the input. My wife will be happy with a larger TV.

• 3 weeks later...

Although I am a little late with my comment, I just wanted to say that I really love this build of yours. So much craftsmanship, finesse and great attention to detail. Really and inspiring piece of work. Thank you also for sharing your progress as well as the detailed plans and such. Truely amazing - especially since this was your first build - if I am not mistaken. This is some really serious skillset you have on your hands. For starters, I myself have just begun with a small bartop project - and will open a builder's thread soon. In the long run, I would however love to follow in your - BIG - footsteps and try out the design of yours with just some minor mods; since I will - for reasons of space - go with a 32" panel and only a two player setup. If only I would be as creative with photoshop as you are - I love the hypercade design. Totally up my alley ...

Again, thanks for your many contributions to this forum. Keeps alive the spirit and is incredibly motivating :) Cheers!

I am a little bit late with my compliments, but I still wanted to say "awesome" build for I love the design, finesse and attention to detail in this truly remarkable build. I am also very grateful that you have been sharing your insights as well as resources with this community, which makes participating, reading, learning and posting that much more rewarding and fun. Currently, I am building my first bartop arcade and will be sharing my progress soon. However, you build is so inspirational that I will also start working on a two player cab based on the fantastic plans you made available. I will however make some slight adjustments, since, for reasons of limited space, I will do a two player cab with a 32" monitor. Still, I think it will be great. If only I had those mad artwork skills of yours... :) I am absolutely loving the hypercade artwork with those nice characters and all. My little one would sure love it...Nah, maybe one day I can manage. HAve fun with your fuure and current builds and thanks again for sharing so much of your work!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How did you print out the 1:1 full scale layout of the control panel and sides of the cabinet? I can't figure out a solution (I am using Rick's template but I can

t figure out how to take the small sheet of 8/11 paper and transfer it to the actual MDF boards.

Anyone know? Thanks.

You will have to go to a local print shop and have them print it. If you get it printed really low quality it should be pretty cheap to get done. As far as the control panel sturdiness... Design yours to have more structure underneath. Mine was fine, it did make a few scary noises at times when 4 adults played on it but it was fine. If I was to remake this cab I would restructure it to support even more weight.

How did you print out the 1:1 full scale layout of the control panel and sides of the cabinet? I can't figure out a solution (I am using Rick's template but I can

t figure out how to take the small sheet of 8/11 paper and transfer it to the actual MDF boards.

Anyone know? Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I noticed that your outersides had not screw holes in them. Did you do all you wood screws from the inside out, rather than the outside in (is the wood glue what is holding it together)?

Anyone on what is the best practice?

I have a router is it possible to make the button holes using the router as I don't have a drill press?

Thanks,

Rocket

I use 1" wide by however long strips of wood inside screwed to the sides.. then other pieces screw to the 1" wide strips.. kinda hard to explain.. as far as button holes thats super easy.. just use a drill and 1 1/8 spade drill bit (only high quality ones, dont get cheap)... make the tiny hole with the drill and small bit.. then make the bigger hole using the tiny hole as a guide...

I noticed that your outersides had not screw holes in them. Did you do all you wood screws from the inside out, rather than the outside in (is the wood glue what is holding it together)?

Anyone on what is the best practice?

I have a router is it possible to make the button holes using the router as I don't have a drill press?

Thanks,

Rocket

• 2 months later...
Thanks Memnoch9299. It took 3 sheets of 4x8 Melamine MDF and the rest isnt really that bad for a basic setup. I put an expensive computer in it that was overkill because honestly that 42" right in my face for PC gaming was to close and made me dizzy, but for arcade games it was perfect. With 42" LCD's getting really cheap you could easily build this entire setup yourself for around $1500 with a basic $300 barebone PC.

I just downloaded your instructions for the build and I noticed you didn't reference in the actual preface on the build that you need 3 8X4 sheets of melamine. You may also notice that pages 5-7 reference 9X4 in the top right corner (which doesn't exist as far as I can tell!).

I plan to start gathering the supplies to start my build. If you could go back and do it again, what would you do differently besides what you have already mentioned?

And how did you make the holes for those dowel's on the control panel?

• 4 weeks later...

With how big the control panel is 4 playes worked out great.. but in my opinion I will never do a 4 player again... takes up to much room for one there isnt enough 4 player games out there to make it worth it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived