Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Project: Create Hiperspin for Linux

agoliveira

Hi folks. First post here. I'm a MAME enthusiast for several years and only now I started my cabinet project. I was looking into Hiperspin and it is impressive but I won't do Windows.

I actually make my living on Linux exclusively (I work for Canonical, of Ubuntu fame) and have a large experience on it.

As I was already thinking about create a nice interface for MAME on linux (the current ones are crude) I thought why not create a Linux version of hiperspin? I'm no designer but I have a very good experience creating GL based applications using SDL.

I would like to do this with the HS creators blessing as I have the intention to use the art on it.

Any developers here that can give me more information about the art packs?

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's HyperSpin, not Hiperspin ;)

Also, the entire system is flash based with FLV, PNG, SWF files and XML / INI databases.

As for the HyperSpin system itself, BadBoyBill is the creator, so he would ultimately have to comment on this, but I don't see an issue with attempting to create a linux version, but I doubt you'd be able to call it "HyperSpin", or anything remotely similar.

What kind of programming experience / history do you have? Any sample work of prior projects? :)

Ha! HyperSpin, of course :P

Regarding my programming experience, I've done quite a bit for several years, from embedded development of military systems (data acquisition mostly) to game machines (the electronic slot machine kind) but it was all done under some sort of contract and/or NDA so there's nothing I can show from that time. I was one of the developers of NX. Most of the code related to integrating RDP and VNC there plus some core optimization is mine. In the last few years I've left the programming area and migrated to business and pre-sales (I'm a technical account manager now).

So, in short, is to use the Hyperspin artwork and emulate it's behavior. The development will be done in Linux using C and SDL. As a matter of fact, as SDL can run in windows and MAC this can be be a multi-platform application.

Anyways, I first have to take a good look on it as I only saw videos of it (still downloading) to have a better idea how to do it.

Thanks for your interest!

This has been brought up many many times before. A simple search returns several threads on the subject.

In short... the answer is...

No, a Linux version is NOT going to happen.

Yes, I've seen this several times on the forum but perhaps you didn't understand. I'm not asking anyone to do it. I'm asking if is there any restrictions regarding the artwork so I, and anyone else interested, can do it. I am actually already doing some preliminary testing, revamping my SDL and OpenGL knowledge (it's been some 5 years since I touched those) and my problem is not the code but the artwork. If I can use HyperSpin's, fine. If not, I'll just have to look somewhere else.

Because I like what I see and there is no way to use in the environment I want. I am no artist or designer, I can code and that's all so why not take a design that work beautifully and improve it by make this design available on different platforms?

Rest assured that I mean no harm to HyperSpin, as I said, just want to have this great design working on the platform I choose.

I'm with agoliveira, it's not copy/clone hyperspin but "porting" it to linux. So this GREAT piece of software could be available for even more people. Porting it to SDL and OpenGL would theoretical make it possible to use for Mac users also. =)

I'm currently running my arcade-machine on Slackware with AdvanceMame and AdvanceMenu, it's working but the softwares are not maintained any longer, and the GUI is lightyears after Hyperspin. Still I like Linux for being fast to boot, stable and smal. Almost everything is mounted read-only so I could shutdown the machine hard anytime without corrupting the filesystem. Try doing that in windows.

agoliveira: whenever you have something working, I would be glad to test it for you. Please send me an mail or something.

Thanks Trycoon.

I am right now studying how to proceed but in terms of software I am almost 100% certain to use C, SDL and OpenGL binds. I am also downloading artwork from emumovies and thinking how this is going to fit together, perhaps moving a step further and improve the HyperSpin concept by bringing more 3D in. In July I'll start the project for real (there's a big event in 2 weeks I'll participate and I'm too busy until it's done), with some web support, repositories and the ideas I have so far.

I'll let the HyperSpin community know as soon as I have something.

Honestly, I personally don't think this is a good idea, however, BBB would have final say so. I say if you want to build a Linux front end, then go for it. However, I say leave HyperSpin out of it and come up with something unique.

There is a history with other frontends that we had back when HyperSpin started that caused issues in the past. We really don't want to have to experience that again.

Again, this is just my personal take on it... BBB has the final say so.

However, I say leave HyperSpin out of it and come up with something unique.

Looks like to me that you were burned in the past and I understand your reluctance. You don't know me, you can't be sure of my intentions. Of course if you guys and BBB, as the original author gives the blessing, I'll be honored but looks like it's not going to be the case.

Again, it's not my intention to create any conflict. I liked the ideas and concepts behind HyperSpin so much that I wanted to mimic it. I actually liked so much that I've donated for the project even if I'm not going to actually use the software. My intention coming here and exposing my idea was to develop an open communication environment between my project and the one that inspired me to do it but if you don't think that's possible, fine. I'll go my marry way and won't come back. In any case, the author(s) have my thanks for the software that inspired me and you guys have my personal email on my profile if you want to contact me in private.

My sincere best regards and I wish you all the best.

Adilson.

Looks like to me that you were burned in the past and I understand your reluctance. You don't know me, you can't be sure of my intentions. Of course if you guys and BBB, as the original author gives the blessing, I'll be honored but looks like it's not going to be the case.

Again, it's not my intention to create any conflict. I liked the ideas and concepts behind HyperSpin so much that I wanted to mimic it. I actually liked so much that I've donated for the project even if I'm not going to actually use the software. My intention coming here and exposing my idea was to develop an open communication environment between my project and the one that inspired me to do it but if you don't think that's possible, fine. I'll go my marry way and won't come back. In any case, the author(s) have my thanks for the software that inspired me and you guys have my personal email on my profile if you want to contact me in private.

My sincere best regards and I wish you all the best.

Adilson.

Hey Adilson,

I didn't say no... I just said that was my personal opinion. BadBoyBill is the creator and developer of HyperSpin. He is the only one that has the ultimate say so. I'd suggest letting him chime in on this subject.

technically, hyperspin is not unique.. it was inspired by a very similar frontend, right?
Nope, it was inspired by Ultracade interface. It's fine to be inspired by something, but a direct clone is something different.

Nope, it was inspired by Ultracade interface. It's fine to be inspired by something, but a direct clone is something different.

Well, I forgot the idea to clone it already. I'll keep some concepts inspired by what I think is done right on HyperSpin tough.

interesting,,,,

im a linux user myself.... and started using windows because of Hyperspin...

also it cost me another £80 to have an os on my cab that is only being used to drive a front end......

i love the idea of a "port" of hyperspin..... offical linux build..... don't like the idea of a copy ....

i'd welcome a linux version... but im no coder... so if dazz or bbb say its not possable.... i'd be ok with that.

here's my ubuntu desktop anyway lol

Screenshot-1.png

interesting,,,,

im a linux user myself.... and started using windows because of Hyperspin...

also it cost me another £80 to have an os on my cab that is only being used to drive a front end......

i love the idea of a "port" of hyperspin..... offical linux build..... don't like the idea of a copy ....

i'd welcome a linux version... but im no coder... so if dazz or bbb say its not possable.... i'd be ok with that.

here's my ubuntu desktop anyway lol

Screenshot-1.png

Nice theme :)

I work for Canonical, BTW, the company behind Ubuntu.

Yeah, I have the same feeling. I want a beautiful front end for my cabinet running linux but, as it does not exist, I'll just create one. I was aiming at HyperSpin because I loved the way it looks and works but right now I'm looking at it and anything else I can put my hands on and will come up with something that may or may not resemble HyperSpin. I'm collecting media for testing, etc.

Let's see what's going to happen ;)

Nice theme :)

I work for Canonical, BTW, the company behind Ubuntu.

Yeah, I have the same feeling. I want a beautiful front end for my cabinet running linux but, as it does not exist, I'll just create one. I was aiming at HyperSpin because I loved the way it looks and works but right now I'm looking at it and anything else I can put my hands on and will come up with something that may or may not resemble HyperSpin. I'm collecting media for testing, etc.

Let's see what's going to happen ;)

yeah i've used ubuntu since 7.04 running 11.04 in the screen shots (classic mode).... not sure if i like unity just yet.....

anyway... try to PM BBB....but like dazz says.... taking elements of hyperspin to make another FE is a big no no..... if an offical linux hyperspin build could be made i think its a move forwards...... i can fully understand the amount of work and time needed to do a stable linux port, and it might just be that the authors feels the extra work isn't worth the effort.... best of luck tho.... i'll watch this thread to see if an "OFFICAL" hyperspin linux build appears :D

DAZZ, you should install Linux you hater! :P LOL

also we have people adding to the project via artwork and 3rd party programs...... can't we have people adding to hyperspin?? if somebody says "hey guys im a linux coder, i can make HS work on Linux" whats the prob?

I can understand BBB doesn't want people looking around his sorce code.... but i can see why linux users find this strange coming from an opensource background..... that said.... i'd hate HS to become opensource.... it would become diluted.... but i think if (very long term) if it was multi platform win/lin/osx it would be the most popual FE ever!!! ..... imho it already is the best FE ever!

EDIT: if i had even 1% of the talent BBB and the rest of the guys have on here i'd be so happy! (and very rich). the fact that HS is free.... is credit to the authors... i hope to see HS.8.0 released one day.... im here to stay what ever happens :D i feel like i should cry LOL

"aking elements of hyperspin to make another FE is a big no no....." sounds strange to me. Of course a verbatim copy would be awkward to say the least. As I said, I will use some concepts from HyperSpin and others the same way HyperSpin did and there's nothing wrong with that.

About a direct port, even if BBB decided to release the source, ti won't be possible because HyperSpin was created using some sort of multimedia creation tool from Adobe IIRC and there is no equivalent for Linux.

Oh, I'm not a Linux hater... I'm a server and database admin at work. We work with unix servers all night long. I have nothing against Linux.

The reason why HyperSpin isn't open source is because it uses some custom plugins that cost $$$$. These plugins aren't ours to distribute and HS can't be compiled without these plugins.

We've looked into possibilities, but with a low Linux userbase in this hobby wouldn't be worth the development time and resources. Not to mention trying to offer the level of support that we try to offer for multiple products on different platforms is a nightmare.

Honestly, I dread the release of 2.0 because we are going to have 3 versions out there and we are still trying to get people off the very first release.

Dazz, never said you were, sorry if I gave you this impression ;)

Anyways, I'm curious about one thing: you say HyperSpin source isn't released because it requires some commercial plugins to compile it but how are the plugins connected to the source? Couldn't the source be released anyways? The person that wants to compile will be required to buy the plugins. Or the source itself include patches of some sort *into* those plugins sources as well and, as such, couldn't be released even as patches due to some licensing restriction?

• 2 years later...

Now I'm beating a dead horse here, but I run XBMC Live. It uses linux as a backend, but boots directly into XBMC as if it were a DVD player or BluRay player. It is extremely quick and, quite frankly, idiot proof (my wife and 2 young kids use it along with 2 of my sisters and both my parents). This version of XBMC just works with little configuration and doesn't require any knowledge of any type of OS. Hyperspin would be the next best thing for something like this. Imagine a complete all-in-one solution for movies, tv shows, games, etc all packaged into a super lite, free OS. With a micro computer like Aldruino hitting the market BIG, and only getting bigger, this would put every media center to shame (including Mediaportal, SageTV and even the upcoming XBox One... yes I said XBox One (lol)). Quite frankly, I would donate to this. And not just $20, but willing to put some real money into this. Others would too. There is an Aldruino project that did a 3 month marketing and contribution website and raised over $10,000. I imagine that would be enough to get Hyperspin for linux off the ground if it were to target the Aldruino PCs. I know this question has been asked over and over again, but I, along with several others, humbly ask you to reconsider. Can the Hyperspin Community please reconsider there stance on making a linux-based front-end. I, and others, will be willing to help raise the money, and even help spearhead this project. Thanks for bearing with my long rant.

• 6 months later...

I would also like to join in here.

Dazz said that there is no sufficient userbase for porting HyperSpin to Linux.

The question is why there are so many forum posts when there is no userbase.

I personally just chose HyperSpin on my second visit.

On the first time I saw this: Windows only... ActionScript... ... and tried other FrontEnds.

Have you seen the SteamBox coming? This will push the userbase a lot into the right direction IMHO.

Additionally the adoption for Windows 8 is so bad that HyperSpin should get prepared for the future.

AFAIK HyperSpin is technically a program that displays some fancy graphics and videos on the screen controlled by XML files.

In the end it is just launching executables.

I really don't understand what $$$ plugins are necessary to accomplish these simple functions.

Don't get me wrong. I could never do such a thing on my own (bad programming skills) and really appreciate your work

but I don't see things that aren't doable with i.e. SDL, libxml or Java.

I would also love to assist in this port by creating an operating system environment (or a package repository) around HyperSpin and testing it.

For ActionScript it may be possible to compile it like this: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/775526/compiling-actionscript-in-linux.

Could someone please rename this topic. This Hiperspin hurts my eyes :-)

Archived