Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Plunger Options

northvibe

Just like the Nudging Options Thread, I wanted to make a Plunger Options thread. I'm at work so I wont be able to get all the pictures and information, but when I get home I can clean this up.

Button:

pbl_20-9663-b-4.jpg

Easiest method is just a button. It will work just like using "Enter" on the keyboard. Someone with one, does it work by the longer you hold the button the further the plunger goes (until full pull) or just a full pull shot?

Nanotech:

mot-ionkit-product.jpg

The Mot-Ion adapter is a USB adapter that allows Do It Yourself Pinball enthusiasts to build their own cabinet using real pinball controls providing analog inputs for nudging and bumping. This kit includes everything needed to connect a pinball cabinet to a PC. (I/O Board, Digital Plunger, Wiring Harness)

USB HID Device

No external drivers or programming needed. Automatically recognized by Windows and Linux systems.

Real-Time Game Interaction

Nudge, Shake & Tilt the cabinet to put "english" on the ball. 2 Axis motion sensor provides real-time x,y coordinates

Digital Plunger Support

I2C Bus Digital Plunger with Analog Input on Z Axis

ESD Protected Enhanced Inputs & Outputs

Supports 16 programmable I/O connections all protected from ESD.

All inputs debounced

Software Support

Fully compatible with Visual Pinball, Future Pinball, HyperPin & more.

Expandable & Upgradeable

Firmware upgradeable via USB or on board programming port.

Mot-Ion Adapter & Digital Plunger Kit: MSRP - $139.99

http://nanotechent.com/mot-ionkit.php

I think there is a vendor on Hyperspin or VPF that can get them quickly. I heard ordering from the Manf. can take a bit.

I hear this requires lots of tweaking and trial and error to get functioning well

DIY using real Plunger - Washer and leaf switch

wonderpuddle - made one with a leaf switch and washer. This seems like a digital on/off method though (not analog); Correct me if I am wrong though!

The parts:

IMG_2436.jpg

Not pulled back:

plunger1.jpg

Pulled back, and you can see the leaf switch being contacted:

plunger2.jpg

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3673&highlight=plunger

Sidewinder Freestyle Pro

This looks like a new method! Still in testing, but analog and uses the joystick from a MS sidewinder.

Video Demonstration:

Quick post on Hyperspin:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?p=138204#post138204

Detailed post on VPF and the progress they are making with analog plunger:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=11404&hl=

I've been creating a COM plugin for VP that will allow Mouse and Joystick input. It's still under construction as I want to make a User Interface for assigning buttons to key presses. I think this is going to be a useful plugin for both desktop and cabinet users. I started posting about it in Rawd's Wiimote nudging thread. I realize now that I should have openned my own WIP thread for it. Here is a copy of the functions built into the plugin and what they do.

If you want to give it a go' date=' download this zip file. It contains the installer for the plugin, run Setup.exe. There is a demo table and a .vbs file, they need to be together in the same folder. You can always uninstall the plugin through Add/Remove programs in Control Panel (Windows Vista and Windows 7 users, you know how to remove programs I hope).

Right now the demo table uses the X and Y mouse for nudging, right and left buttons for flippers, and push the scrollwheel like a button for the plunger. It also has the joystick configured for a MS Sidewinder Freestyle Pro, the motion sensor nudges, the trigger buttons do the flippers, and the A button does the plunger. It will probably work with other joysticks, I just don't know the button layout and unless it has a motion sensor, the nudging will probably be linked to the gamepad or joystick control.

If you check this out, please give me some feedback.[/quote']

Download is in the link to VPF

I think there may be 1 or 2 more more ways. Lets just keep this updated! :)

• 5 weeks later...

You said some time ago that your first model broke and there was no components on the market any more. Did you made another one?

How is it recognized by vp, as a z axis or you need some visual basic code in the table?

You said some time ago that your first model broke and there was no components on the market any more. Did you made another one?

How is it recognized by vp, ss a z axis or you need some visual basic code in the table?

No, my first model still works... It's just the components that were used are obsolete and I haven't been able to really determine the new components.

It just works like a normal NO microswitch. It's only an on/off switch, but there are no physically touching parts.

i think not

i think it uses x y and z from first device, but not sure

i tested a bit with two gamepads and as i remember correct it reacted only on first one for plunger and nudge and both could be used for buttons (in pbw order)

i think not

i think it uses x y and z from first device, but not sure

i tested a bit with two gamepads and as i remember correct it reacted only on first one for plunger and nudge and both could be used for buttons (in pbw order)

Thanks for the response and crap.

I guess that leaves an analog nudge out of the equation for me as an analog plunger is more important.

• 1 year later...

I wanted to bump this to the top as I too am researching plunger options.

Does the launch button method work as full plunge or does it depend on how long you hold it? I am hoping to find the simplest, most reliable solution I can. The nanotechnology plunger looks like nothing but a headache.

Daze, how about your solution? Does it just work? Does it allow you to easily vary the shot power?

What about the mouse wheel option? Same question.

Surely there is a good solution out there.

Thanks,

Randy

With the launch ball method, the strength of the pull depends on how long you hold the button. This in my opinion is the best solution at the moment. It's the most accurate and it works right out of the box with every table.

The nanotech plunger looks nice, and it does work, but it's a royal pain in the ass. If I were to build my cabinet all over again, I would skip it and go with either a launch ball button or something much cooler like the Indiana Jones gun launcher like in Aurich's thread. While most newer tables are being built with plunger support, there are a crapload that do not, so you will need to learn how to do some minor scripting and add plunger support to every table you have.

Yeah, I decided that the Nanotech just wasn't worth the hassle, too many stories of it constantly needing fiddling or breaking, tables not working with it, etc. I'm sure it's possible to get working, but a microswitch seemed a lot more reliable, and also meant I didn't have to mess with a dual plunger/launch button clutter.

My Indy gun feel great in the hand, definitely not like a compromise. You can't launch a ball with your hip like the big button tables (Monster Bash etc) but it's got more than its own charm.

There are a few reasons.

1) The nanotech keyboard encoder does not have shift key support. So you will need a physical button for every feature you want to include. With the ipac you can assign lesser used functions to a shift key instead. (Open Coin Door, Volume + / -, Genre, Add Coin, etc...) This really cuts down on the clutter on the front of your cab.

2) The wires on the nanotech wiring harness are pretty short. This restricts where you can mount it, as it has to be right next to all of your buttons. You could solder on extensions, but that is a pain.

3) The nanotech board appears to have issues exiting properly with fplaunch. I haven't encountered this myself, because I used the ipac from the beginning, but I believe there are some workarounds for this.

If you're looking to save a few bucks, you can omit the ipac, but my personal preference is to use an ipac.

Thanks Dee. I've used an ipac with my mame project last yr and it was a breeze to set up and configure. I just wasn't sure what disadvantage/s of the nanotech was.

I was considering using M$ sidewinder for nudging as described by others in the past. Given the issues ppl are having with the nudging on the nanotech this still seems like a reasonable option.

Will I run into problems bye using the plunger feature of the nanotech and 'disable' the nudging feature so I can use the sidewinder?

As far as a keyboard encoder... I know a lot of people use the MS Sidewinder game pad as a nudge device... Has anyone used it as their key encoder as well? It should be easy enough to solder your button wires to the traces on the game pad. And it seems like it would have enough inputs.

Neo, As far as I know, that setup shouldn;t be an issue.. Other than the issues I keep reading about the Nanotech plunger, not working out of the box for some tables and constantly needing re-calibrated/tweaked.

But no, your proposed setup is a fairly standard one.

I wasn't trying to answer your previous post, I was asking another question ;)

If I recall correctly, vp looks for devices called pinball wizard, which is the nanotech board. You would need to somehow rename the sidewinder, and rename the nanotech board if you had one. This may have changed with some of the newer updates. I haven't kept up.

Yeah, I decided that the Nanotech just wasn't worth the hassle, too many stories of it constantly needing fiddling or breaking, tables not working with it, etc. I'm sure it's possible to get working, but a microswitch seemed a lot more reliable, and also meant I didn't have to mess with a dual plunger/launch button clutter.

My Indy gun feel great in the hand, definitely not like a compromise. You can't launch a ball with your hip like the big button tables (Monster Bash etc) but it's got more than its own charm.

Yup, that's exactly why I went with my Jurassic Park gun launcher, plus it matched my theme. :)

Archived