Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Setting Up Controls Across ALL Emulators

sreisig1

So I'm starting to set controls for my emulators but starting to run into some issues with some. For instance some emulators don't open up and don't have a menu to change controls. Daphne singe for american laser games doesn't open up, but when I run through hyperspin it loads fine. How do I set controls for that? Just as an example.

Like for Nintendo entertainment system, I was able to open nestopia and set the input controls. But for a lot of other emulators they don't open by them selves but Launch fine within hyperspin to run the rom. For systems like these how do I set the controls and input map so I can use with my control panel? I would really love some help with this if someone could take a look at my setup.

post-112507-142870650481_thumb.jpg

Its a case by case basis, it seems. Being required to manually open the config is something I've never had to do across 92 systems (and even more emulators), but I don't use Daphne Singed. If you want a "catch all" solution, its to leave the emulator controls as they are on the keyboard, and use xpadder to simulate keystrokes, then make a different profile for each system/emulator. If you want to do them individually, you'll have to learn how to use each emulator individually, but most will have a ui you can set, a config file you can alter, and/or some, like mame, mess and mednafen, you access the control settings by being in game and pressing "tab" (mame and mess) and "alt-shift-1" (mednafen) respectively.

Its a case by case basis, it seems. Being required to manually open the config is something I've never had to do across 92 systems (and even more emulators), but I don't use Daphne Singed. If you want a "catch all" solution, its to leave the emulator controls as they are on the keyboard, and use xpadder to simulate keystrokes, then make a different profile for each system/emulator. If you want to do them individually, you'll have to learn how to use each emulator individually, but most will have a ui you can set, a config file you can alter, and/or some, like mame, mess and mednafen, you access the control settings by being in game and pressing "tab" (mame and mess) and "alt-shift-1" (mednafen) respectively.

Thanks. I have xpadder installed. Is there a guide on how to get these profiles setup? I have an ipac2 and using this setup, and using the middle 3 buttons as the primary buttons for all, and then the top 3:

post-112507-142870650483_thumb.jpg

Yep, just search "setting up xpadder in hyperspin/hyperlaunch" on google to bring up a bunch of tutorials. Here's a vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWrBrTni3Hc I personally can't speak for the ipac2 but if it works in xpadder then the set up should be essentially the same as for controllers.

Edit: the benefit of using xpadder is that you can seamlessly transition from a "hyperspin" profile that controls hyperspin, to an "emulator/system profile" (use "system profile" if you use the same emulator for every game on that wheel, "emulator profile" if you have more than one) to contorl the games, and then even a "hyperlaunch" profile which will control Hyperpause. However, some people swear that they have noticeable latency using this method and prefer to set the controls individually inside the emulator. I've done both and personally haven't noticed any difference.

you can't use Xpadder with your ipac2

Xpadder is designed to map keyboard keys to joystick buttons.

an Ipac2 is a keyboard encoder, an encoder that uses WinIpac to program your keyboard keys to your inputs.

they work the same as if you did this to a keyboard

http://people.cs.vt.edu/~vanmetre/arcade/big2/keyboard_closeup.jpg

your PC will see them as a keyboard

if you wan't to use Xpadder you will need to replace your Ipac with a joystick encoder.

a joystick encoder works similar to doing this to a joystick

http://les5laurents.free.fr/Datas/borne_arcade/100_2219.JPG

any joystick encoder you buy will register similar to pluging a generic joystick to your PC.

some joystick encoders

keywizmax

http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_81&products_id=235

Howler controller

http://www.wolfwareeng.com/

and I'm not sure but I think the Ipac ultimate

http://www.ultimarc.com/ipacuio.html

both Keyboard encoders and Joystick encoders have their benefits and their flaws. Its up to you on what you wan't to use.

I use a joystick encoder because with Xpadder you can use all the default keys on all your emulators.

the flaw is that Hyperspin has a joystick bug, you can't directly control Hyperspin with a Joystick, but that's why we use Xpadder.

wait. I'm a bit confused.

I have wireless xbox 360 controllers hooked up via xpadder.

I was going to hook up my mini-pac today and use win pac to map.

Are you now saying that it won't work if I use one at a time.

Want the option to use the pedestal for some games and xbox controller for other games.

Instead of looking into JoyToKey or XPadder, look into AHK remaps. They are compatible with your setup

Any suggestions, tips, tricks for someone with a rudimentary understanding at best? Any sites with particularly good tutorials? Lastly, if you can map xbox controls with AHK, why hasn't anyone sort of compiled the .ahk files for download for the community?

At any rate, I will be looking into this.

In case anyone comes behind me: https://sites.google.com/site/hyperlaunch2/home/features/keymapper#TOC-AutoHotKey and some handy links on how to do it there as well. But I notice that it says that you can't create a Hyperspin main menu or Hyperpause profile? Is there a workaround? I'd love to move all my mapping to autohotkey (presumably it'll solve a few of the xpadder quirks). Plus, truth be told, I'm just looking to learn something new, so any information is appreciated.

wait. I'm a bit confused.

I have wireless xbox 360 controllers hooked up via xpadder.

I was going to hook up my mini-pac today and use win pac to map.

Are you now saying that it won't work if I use one at a time.

Want the option to use the pedestal for some games and xbox controller for other games.

I think you missed my point, plug in your mini-pac, if its a keyboard encoder Xpadder will not work.

because it will always look for a Joystick plugged to your PC

if you have the mini-pac and the 360 controller plugged in, Xpadder will only recognize the 360 joystick.

Xpadder ONLY works with joysticks.

if you have a pedestal and want to use that for your arcade systems and use the 360 controllers for console systems.

you multiple set up options.

- No Xpadder, simply map the 360 joystick buttons directly to your emulators.

(only draw back is you will not be able to control hyperspin with the 360 controller; You will have to use the pedestal buttons to start, exit and navigate Hyperspin)

- use Xpadder, Hyperlaunch as a "preferred controller" settings,

you can have multiple controllers plugged in and assign a default controller to each system.

this works out great if you are have multiple controllers (Xbox, Wii remotes, N64 or others)

you can assign

- Wii remotes to run with your Wii system

-N64 controllers to run with your N64 system

-and so on

I have a GPWiz (joystick encoder) as my default Global controller.

the GPWIz is assigned to all the arcade buttons (similar to your pedestal)

my mame Xpadder profile

but my console emulators run on 360 controllers.

if you do this set up the Xpadder profile will be loaded to a 360 controller and not into the GPWIZ profile.

given that your mini ipac is a keyboard encoder, you will probably have to create fake Xpadder profiles for systems that use the pedestal buttons, I really don't know how that will work, since its not a problem I have.

• 1 year later...

This topic is a bit confusing. So I'm going to confuse it even more.

-To setup your controls within a given emulator, follow the instructions for that emulator, sometimes in a readme within the folder structure, sometimes on their website. For most once your controls work natively in the emulator they will continue working the same way through RL/HS.

-If you're using an iPac you don't need to mess with Xpadder or Joy2Key etc (at least I've never had to)... those are to convert controller/joystick inputs into keystrokes. Keyboard encoders (like the iPac) already send keystrokes.

-If you want to remap iPac controls without actually re-programming the iPac you can simply remap your buttons using AHK through RocketLauncher under the keymapper tab. It's pretty simple just check autohotkey.com for the tutorial (for example x::b would make pressing your X button send the B key instead)

-There is no "iPac mini to Winipac". Winipac is simply the options menu/programmer for your iPac. Nothing more.

• 3 years later...
On 10/15/2014 at 4:00 PM, rfancella said:

A side note that pertains to this as well. There is currently a project to create a single layout with profiles for each emulator.

Might be worth taking a look or helping out:

http://www.hyperlaunch.net/forum/showthread.php?173-Project-Key-Mapping&p=1853&viewfull=1

Thanks,

Ron

Old thread but this link now goes to an attack site (hyperlaunch.net). Whatever happened with this project? Thanks

On 8/19/2019 at 6:23 PM, tdspin said:

Old thread but this link now goes to an attack site (hyperlaunch.net). Whatever happened with this project? Thanks

Yeah that link and this thread are both very dead. 

Metalzoic's post is the most relevant as hopefully most people set up controls in the emulator. I only use joytokey for computer systems like C64, Pinball FX3, etc. 

Archived