Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Real DMD's In Pinball Cabs

H4CK3R

DMD's are a pain lol

Plasma ones leak gas and go all funny or the paper ribbon cable on the side gets detached and kills whole rows/columns.

LED ones seam to have dead pixel faults which intern cause faint lines to appear.

out of 235 pinDMD's sold iv heard/seen about 6 dodgy DMD's (mostly pinLED lol) 1 or 2 Vishay and 1 Plasma vishay

@rotoforever from the image i can see the 8th pixel down on the faint line the pixel is not lit up? can you play a few games and see if this pixel has died?

which DMD are you running rotoforever

Thanks for your reply. It's the LEE-128G032B. It seems the pixel is working though.

post-57361-142870583816_thumb.jpg

ok doesn't seam to be a dead pixel then, does your faint line remain when the DMD should be blank.

the reason i don't think these faults r pinDMD related is because there is around 60ish pinDMD1's running that DMD with out any problems, running the same firmware as you. and normally when there are firmware issues it seams to upset the whole display or every one see's the same fault. but in these 2 cases (and a few others) it seams to be 1 random column seams to be faulty. (iv seen it for my self with my pinLED, and it was a DMD fault) which leads me to believe its a DMD fault not pinDMD/firmware fault.

if you want you can send the pinDMD back to me and i can test it for you :) (on 3 different DMD's hehe) to confirm that the pinDMD/firmware is ok :)

Let me know :)

Edited by russdx

DMD's are a pain lol

Plasma ones leak gas and go all funny or the paper ribbon cable on the side gets detached and kills whole rows/columns.

LED ones seam to have dead pixel faults which intern cause faint lines to appear.

out of 235 pinDMD's sold iv heard/seen about 6 dodgy DMD's (mostly pinLED lol) 1 or 2 Vishay and 1 Plasma vishay

...and one X-Pin :(

January must be the Bermuda triangle month for DMD's, they're crapping out all over the place.

@boogies2 and rotoforever I feel your pain, my X-Pin came with a dead pixel, some of the 8x8 blocks twisted, some right against each other while some were 1/16" apart, a real shame.

I'm really starting to think the 16x16 PinLED is the way to go, less blocks to have issues with, less grid lines to deal with, lifetime warranty (US and Canada).

post-62570-142870583868_thumb.jpg

post-62570-142870583862_thumb.jpg

post-62570-142870583865_thumb.jpg

But hey, The pinDMD.com logo looks awesome!

I'll report back with any warranty updates, if I can get a hold of X-Pin :hmmmm2:

2013-01-22 Edit: Just got a reply from Brett, we're going to wait until the end of February for a new one from the new manufacturing process. :)

Edited by jasonsmith
Updating

Im sending my pinDmd and vishay led dmd back to noah today. He will test and RMA as needed.

There was a couple games that I did have issues with, Robo-war didnt work at all, Spirit acted funny.

Im figuring that was probably more of a software/firware compatibilty issue

what was wrong with the games boogies2 where these both 128x32 dmd games?

ah just did a search and found those games.

regarding the pinDMD2 not working with those games, this is not a fault with the pinDMD2. its just those games and quite a few others are not supported by the special pinDMD pinmame.dll there was way to many games to cover so only a few core pinball techs are covered. the pinDMD was only originally ment to support 128x32 games but i added quite a bit of code to support as many alphanumeric games i could. but if you find some of these games don't work its not a fault with the pinDMD hardware but the .dll simply does not support those games.

Edited by russdx

Here's a little vid:

Is there a way to turn off the PinDMD in any of the scripts - I know how to turn off the pinmame window (.hidden = 0), but the actual DMD?

There are quite a few B2S's that I would rather not see the DMD with - I.E. Spirit

the first game was one of the techs i did not support because there was to many alphanumeric segments to fit on the dmd i think. so the dmd will just stay blank. the second game with the flickering digits is a bug in the alphanumeric frame work in the .dll nothing to do with the pinDMD :)

you can turn the pinDMD off by adding some code to the table, i cant remember off the top of my head what it is :( its in the pinDMD2 dev thread over at vpforums, ill try and track it down.

by watching that video the pinDMD is behaving correctly, its the .dll code which either does not support the game or has a few glitches with the game hehe. (i don't spend to much time mending alphanumeric game glitches as there are thousands of these games)

im just gonna wait another 2-3 weeks make sure people are doing ok with current batch. if all goes ok i will get another batch made. iv ordered all the components and have 90% of them. and will hopefully be getting the next x100 batch assembled soon :)

already have 70ish back order from previous batch + new orders so think this next batch will be gone by march as well!

Got mine in today. Came in fast. How do I setup FP to work with it?

Until the developers decide to post it all up on this forum, here are the external links to the original threads.

FP DMD development info is here - http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2649

Download is in this thread - http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2901 [Just download FP-Intercept and add the pinDMD specific files to the root of your Future Pinball folder.]

LedWIZ with FP info is here - http://www.gopinball.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=2833