Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Real DMD's In Pinball Cabs

H4CK3R

I got my pindmd and xpin display in. I wanted to just test the display to make sure its working before I start anything. Installed the driver for the pindmd and plugged the display up to it. The display has a green light on the back. When I hit the test button it does nothing.

xpin needs the signal from pinDMD firmware (not pc) :)

if the pinDMD is plugged into the DMD and the pinDMD is plugged into the pc using a usb cable you should see the firmware logo on the DMD.

if you dont some thing is wrong!!!

does the pinDMD show up as a 'pinDMD2' device on your pc? (best way to confirm its alive)

Edited by russdx

xpin needs the signal from pinDMD firmware (not pc) :)

if the pinDMD is plugged into the DMD and the pinDMD is plugged into the pc using a usb cable you should see the firmware logo on the DMD.

if you dont some thing is wrong!!!

does the pinDMD show up as a 'pinDMD2' device on your pc? (best way to confirm its alive)

When I goto device manager it shows pindmd2 as device

noooooooooooooooooo

the dmd needs its own power!!!

this is very important, only the pinDMD2 device is powered using the usb!

you need to power your xpin using another 2amp power source (your pc psu is a good one)

xpin / pinLED connected to a pinDMD can blow it to pieces as the dmd tries to draw 2amps through the pinDMD :( it does say this in the install guide in a big red warning box :)

hopefully the pinDMD dmd gpio is still alive :(

connect your DMD to 5v using the power header on the DMD and hopefully the pinDMD is not dead hehe.

Acid, you should see plug molex or pins with +5 0 -5 (or +12 0, 0, +5)b etc by each pin similar to this spot on the bottom right:

dmdscreen.jpg

You need to plug that into a power connection from your PC (same connectors you would plug external fans to or old IDE drives (the big 4 pin ones).

As I dont know if yours is 12v or 5v, you need to be very careful because you only want whichever volt is required...not all 4 wires (unless 12v)

post-29564-142870584442_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zablon

You can get the xpin in a 5v version, and also a 65v version. If you did not specify anything when ordering, the needed voltage is probably 65v..........

something else: has anyone ever tried/seen/bought the Babcock/microsemi PD01F221 ???? it is a plasma DMD 128x32 with onboard DC-DC converter (it accepts 12v), and what looks like the standard 14 pin connector. Sounds great, right? Cant find any for sale though...

Edited by wowter

picked up my LEE-128G032-1 today and it works without any issues :party:

20130203180706.jpg

20130203180812.jpg

20130203181754.jpg

20130203181907.jpg

no segments, as Russ said, just 4096 LEDS.

simple to connect - just cut the yellow off a pc molex connector, as it only runs at 5V

plugged in the PINDMD2..

not as bright as the plasma version, but still looks very nice running.

sounds about right, when ordering xpin you need to ask for the 5v version, as the other version is designed to be a plug and play for a real pinball as it feeds off the 65v source, but as most cab users have a nice 5v source from the psu its much easier to use the 5v version :)

even though the pinDMD2 still shows up as a device im hoping having the un-powered DMD connected to it has not blown the dmd gpio drivers. hopefully its ok :)

sounds about right, when ordering xpin you need to ask for the 5v version, as the other version is designed to be a plug and play for a real pinball as it feeds off the 65v source, but as most cab users have a nice 5v source from the psu its much easier to use the 5v version :)

even though the pinDMD2 still shows up as a device im hoping having the un-powered DMD connected to it has not blown the dmd gpio drivers. hopefully its ok :)

Me too

• 1 month later...

Hi,

my plasma DMD (Vishay APD128G032A) just arrived yesterday. After I hooked it up with pinDMD2 (Rev 5.84, but already tested all other ones) I saw that I have the same issues than Mikekim. The screen were it shows the pinDMD logo is flickering and the picture itselfs is unclear. It seems that the bottom line is showing at the top.

post-8900-142870585992_thumb.jpg

I will try to test the DMD in real pinball mashine and will tell you the result. If it is not working I will write mouser an email and ask for a replacement.

What I want to know is does anybody runs a Vishay APD128G032A with pinDMD2 without problems?

post-8900-142870585988_thumb.jpg

i dont think this is a DMD problem but a firmware problem, there is another member on vpforums that runs the same display without any problems which is weird, i think the tolerance on some of the signals is quite high and it might change on different dmd's thats why it works on some and not others.

checking on a real pinball would be best because it might not be a fault with the DMD and mouser would be replacing a good display which is alot of hassle. if its ok on a real pinball ill have to try and find out which part of the firmware needs 'loosing' up a bit so it works better with these displays.

i run the exact same display my self but 192x64 and it runs great. so its a bit strange some displays have issues. but im sure we can resolve it all :)

when mike had a similar problem i thought it might be a dodgy display, but 2 of them doing it probably the firmware?

im pretty sure its not the DMD, just need to tweak the firmware a bit. one of the signals is probably to fast, probably the row reset signal by the looks of it