Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Real DMD's In Pinball Cabs

H4CK3R

Just based on those two pics it seems to me that the actual color would just be a matter of personal preference (I'm not a huge pinball fan so I'm not sure if one is considered more authentic), and it actually looks to me just based on those pics that the orange is maybe a little too bright and is washing out some of the detail... maybe that's not true in real life, it's just how it looks to me there. But, I do see the little gaps between the LED segments on the red, and that bugs me.... ;)

Just based on those two pics it seems to me that the actual color would just be a matter of personal preference (I'm not a huge pinball fan so I'm not sure if one is considered more authentic), and it actually looks to me just based on those pics that the orange is maybe a little too bright and is washing out some of the detail... maybe that's not true in real life, it's just how it looks to me there. But, I do see the little gaps between the LED segments on the red, and that bugs me.... ;)

Yea it's not true, although I do find it so bright that it's reflects so much off the playfield that I think it needs a filter. Orange tends to be more authentic as only a few had red (or maybe just 1?). There are certain games that look really good with red though.

hey guys iv slightly amended the VPinMAME.dll iv made the usb baud very slightly slower it seams to stop the slight flickering you get when running dim colours in fast animations (tales from crypt insert coin animation)

iv uploaded the new version :)

let me know if its an imporvement or not hehe (looks much better for me)

can download the VPinMAME.dll from mine and snots sig :)

ALSO - some REALLY good news :)

Noah Fentz has managed to get hold of the vishay displays!!!! i think he will be stocking the orange ones? im not sure yet but i will be sending him some pinDMD's for testing soon to make sure they are ok.

so hopefully this is the DMD shortage problem and you will all soon have a place to buy your DMD's from :)

ban.png

www.pinDMD.com | latest Cabinet VPinMAME.dll with pinDMD integration is Here! | pinDMD firmware is Here!

Edited by russdx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I talked to Brett a very nice guy making pinball replacement displays. He Company is www.xpinpinball.com and he is producing 5v DMD. They even offer different colors. I asked him to post his details here. I will post some images for him.The last three pictures are Xpinball display working with Russ board.

post-39825-14287057809_thumb.jpg

post-39825-14287057814_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870578157_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870578162_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870578165_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870578167_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870582084_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870582085_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870582087_thumb.jpg

Edited by pinballlooking

If you are interested in the 5V version of the LED DMD, just send an email to [email protected]. I currently am ramping production for the standard version. The 5V version is supported with just some component changes and easy to run side by side. I am unsure of the interest though because I never new this group existed. If I get enough interest I will initiate a build of 20 or more. I would be interested to know what colors you are looking for.

Regards,

Brett Davis

XPin Designer

yes please! I need news for the power board for my plasma display!!

I've used a Bally Williams dot matrix controller board to power my plasma dmd with russdx pinDMD board. To put power to the dot matrix controller board, you need to get your 5V and 12V and ground from your computer supply. Then two small step down transformers to run the 80VAC and 100VAC that would normally come from the large transformer in the bottom of a real pinball machine's cabinet. In the US, I use a 120VAC to 100VAC Japanese step down. These are relatively inexpensive and easy to find on internet. Here's one source

http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/japanese-up-down-transformer.html

For the 120VAC to 80VAC, I found it here..http://edcorusa.com/c/37/xpwrseries. When you go to this site, you need to select your secondary voltage on the left st 80V. Then the transformer will come up at $20.01.

The wiring diagram for the dot matrix control board is found in wpc games manuals. For instance, you can go to the international pinball database and look up Theatre of Magic. The diagram is on page 3-31 of the English Manual.

I have not used the exact tranformers from these websites to power my display. I was fortunate enough to come across some at work. But I hooked up this system, and powered my Vishay plasma display this way, so I know the concept works. I used russdx pinDMD board to run the signal from visual pinball. However, I found my Cherry displays do not work with the pinDMD board. Russdx is still working on that.

I talked to Brett a very nice guy making pinball replacement displays. He Company is www.xpinpinball.com and he is producing 5v DMD. They even offer different colors. I asked him to post his details here. I will post some images for him.
Wow, I absolutely love the Blue DMD... that would look great on my pin as well as freaking awesome on a real Tron.

He is going to send me a display to test. I work with [email protected] and Russ to make sure they work well with Russ’s board. I will take pictures post them here if it working. His pricing is decent and they can have some ready I think August.

I do think the blue will look good on Tron.

The last three pictures are Xpinball display working with Russ board.

post-39825-142870582088_thumb.jpg

post-39825-14287058209_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870582091_thumb.jpg

Edited by pinballlooking

• 2 weeks later...

Russ,

Do you have a diagram how to connect the pinled to a pc psu?

And give me your honest opinion should i wait out for the power driver board and do the plasma dmd thing or should i just do the pinled ?

Vishay's are to expensive to get shipped to nl

my dad has paused the power board project for a while, so this wont be available for a long time :(

pinLED is a good option as long as its used correctly :)

i did noticed mouser are selling 12v plasma displays for £240 the other day, only £40 more then a pinLED. am tempted to buy one my self

my dad has paused the power board project for a while, so this wont be available for a long time :(

pinLED is a good option as long as its used correctly :)

i did noticed mouser are selling 12v plasma displays for £240 the other day, only £40 more then a pinLED. am tempted to buy one my self

that's better indeed would you mind sharing the link to mouser or the PN? and will i just be able to connect this to my pc psu?

is is this one?

http://nl.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Dale/APD128G0320A00G01/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMui8icXhU1dEqArMiFw/y3J

and what would i need more? thx man !! only 300 :) so that's ok

Edited by njay

I saw these at CAX today. They really look nice. Brighter than a normal plasma dmd, and details seem to show better on animations.

He mailed me a display out yesterday so I should have some more info soon.

The last three pictures are Xpinball display working with Russ board.

post-39825-142870582092_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870582094_thumb.jpg

post-39825-142870582095_thumb.jpg

Edited by pinballlooking