Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Real DMD's In Pinball Cabs

H4CK3R

Do some digging and see if you can find some transformers that put out the required voltages needed for a plasma display. You can use multiple transformers and even feed one from another.

Also remember a transformer is just that and can be used either way.

A 110v ac input and 12v dc output can also generate 110v ac if you feed it 12v

dc (although not very efficently)

u cant just connect it to a simple transformer :(

first you need a transformer that can supply all the correct voltages, then you need alot of smoothing caps and other crap to make it constant current.

if it was easy we would all be using plasma's :)

and the 12v dc power supply ones are even more complex as they are creating all the voltages from 12v.

well, you can still order the 12v plasma's. The 16 week lead time that seems to be the norm, leads me to believe the displays still need to be manufactured.

I have no inside dirt other than what he told me, but if you really want one you might be wise to do it sooner rather than later is all I'm thinking. ;)

So I fried my XPin yellow/green DMD, stupidly plugging it into 12v on accident. Derp.

Brett at XPin is awesome, he responded to an email right away, late afternoon on a Friday, and got me a replacement out Saturday, be here by noon on Monday. That's service. Stupid waste of money, but all my fault, and his speed means all the family flying in from various parts of the country can play around with it still over Christmas.

Sorry to hear that, these things happen. Scary that they would fry that easily though, there should be some sort of protection on them or something.

@ wowter. I know the latest Sterns are using the block LED style such as the X-Pin. This could be the real deal as it's about the same cost but you never know, it could just be "compatible".

does sound like a xpin display, i think they are the only ones making blue dmd's? shame the foam is left on in the picture as under it would be all the xpin logo silk screen hehe.

Aurich - do you still have the blown display? you might find only a few components are fried but 95% of the display still works, might be repairable?

Do i need to install a fuse or anything between a pinled display and the 12v coming from my computers power supply? The display has a glass fuse on-board.

i am hooking it up, while we await the arrival of the PINDMD2

Edited by wowter

• 2 weeks later...

Hope this hasn't been asked before.

I have a Vishay LEE-128G032B (the red one) that I'd like to wire up. This is how the power connector looks like.

post-57361-142870583233_thumb.jpg

1. Could someone help me out with the part# of a connector that mates with this? Preferably one where I can fix the wire with a screw.

2. The connector has 2x +5v and 2x GND pins. Do I have to connect both or just one of them? Does it matter which?

Thanks guys!

Aurich - do you still have the blown display? you might find only a few components are fried but 95% of the display still works, might be repairable?

BTW just to update that, I sent it to zebulon to see if he can fix it up (and keep it, we swapped for his new shaker motor). So hopefully he can bring it back to life!

Hope this hasn't been asked before.

I have a Vishay LEE-128G032B (the red one) that I'd like to wire up. This is how the power connector looks like.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22896[/ATTACH]

1. Could someone help me out with the part# of a connector that mates with this? Preferably one where I can fix the wire with a screw.

2. The connector has 2x +5v and 2x GND pins. Do I have to connect both or just one of them? Does it matter which?

Thanks guys!

You can put a PC molex connector over those pins, and you only need to connect one set. Shouldn't matter which, I'd just do the outside ones.

Yep, that 12v would probably kill the poor thing. ;)

Thanks for the replies. I've seen it too late though and already went ahead and ordered a fitting connector. Took me half a day to figure out the different types and what I need. Will let you know the exact part numbers once it arrives and I've confirmed it's working.

I've tried the PC molex (8981 series - this is what you meant, right?) this morning but it didn't seem to have a tight enough fit. But maybe the connector was too worn out or I'm too picky. ;)

About powering the Vishay LED DMD.. (still waiting my Orange display but I want to make sure I know how to connect it when it arrives):

According to the attachment few posts back there are 2x 5v connections and 2xGND.

Now... If I have understood correctly I should be able to use my PC PSU to power the display. BUT in order not to fry the display I need to modify the default 4-pin molex connector(?).

I found this description about the molex:

1 yellow +12 volts

2 black ground

3 black ground

4 red +5 volts

So I need to take the yellow and second black wire out and make sure the remaining black/red wires match the 5v/GND on the Vishay? I don't own any voltage meter so can I trust this? Or is there a risk that the color coding is different in different PSU's?

I'm a total dummy when it comes to electricity so I just want this explained in a way that even I can understand :)

-Teppo-

About powering the Vishay LED DMD.. (still waiting my Orange display but I want to make sure I know how to connect it when it arrives):

According to the attachment few posts back there are 2x 5v connections and 2xGND.

Now... If I have understood correctly I should be able to use my PC PSU to power the display. BUT in order not to fry the display I need to modify the default 4-pin molex connector(?).

I found this description about the molex:

1 yellow +12 volts

2 black ground

3 black ground

4 red +5 volts

So I need to take the yellow and second black wire out and make sure the remaining black/red wires match the 5v/GND on the Vishay? I don't own any voltage meter so can I trust this? Or is there a risk that the color coding is different in different PSU's?

I'm a total dummy when it comes to electricity so I just want this explained in a way that even I can understand :)

-Teppo-

correct

got my pindmd2's from Russ in the post this morning.. (two of them)

still the same problem... :dontknow: tried both units

have just sent off an email to Mouser to see if they will replace the display, otherwise i'll just have to get a new unit.

have you tried the new firmware for the PinDMD2, there were some problems with the initial rev. ? might be just that?

yep, have tried firmware updates.

have also tried different combinations of ribbon cables, pindmd's (2x pindmd2 and 1x pindmd1), molex connecting cables and power supplies.

have spoke with Russ about this problem and he seems to think its a display issue as well.