Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Real DMD's In Pinball Cabs

H4CK3R

its a weird problem mike

i think after trying 3 different pinDMD's / 3 ribbon cables / two PSU's it must be the display :(

the previous bug was with the pinLED so wouldn't even effect the Plasma displays, another member has exact same display and its working great. and they work great on my own Plasma. so i can only assume it must be a DMD problem unless you live in some huge static bubble hehe?

I have had mouser swap displays before so it should be fine :) keep me updated :)

To answer my own question, these are the components I used to connect the hard disk's Molex to the Vishay's power connector. I've crimped for the first time in my life, thanks to a few Youtube tutorials it was pretty easy.

Crimp Tool

https://ch.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=63811-1000virtualkey53810000virtualkey538-63811-1000

Terminal

https://ch.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=08-50-0106virtualkey53810000virtualkey538-08-50-0106

Socket

http://ch.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=09-50-3041virtualkey53810000virtualkey538-09-50-3041

The connector is a perfect fit, you just have to make sure to connect it the correct way (RED on +5V).

post-57361-142870583341_thumb.jpg

its a weird problem mike

i think after trying 3 different pinDMD's / 3 ribbon cables / two PSU's it must be the display :(

the previous bug was with the pinLED so wouldn't even effect the Plasma displays, another member has exact same display and its working great. and they work great on my own Plasma. so i can only assume it must be a DMD problem unless you live in some huge static bubble hehe?

I have had mouser swap displays before so it should be fine :) keep me updated :)

Emailed Mouser about the problem and this is their response:

"The photo suggests that there may be a missing or improper control signal, perhaps the COLUMN LATCH signal (pin 7). This might be caused by an open connection in the ribbon cable between the display and controller board, a defect on the display module, a compatibility issue between the display and control board, or a variety of other causes. The customer might try a different ribbon cable. Else, Vishay recommends returning the display for analysis/repair."

as there is a 16 week lead time on a replacement plasma unit, Mouser have very kindly offered to credit me the cost of the unit, so i can order a Vishay LEE-128G032-1 (which they have in stock).

excellent service.. highly recommended to anyone looking for a supplier of components.

Well I wasn't gonna go with a dmd but how easy it will make doing my backbox I'm doing it. I bought the xpin green\yellow dmd. So all I need is pinDMD 2 to run it?

Correct. The only problem you may have is that Russ is sold out for the next 2 months or so. You may be able to buy one off Noah form Virtualpin.

I just received my Vishay DMD today. I hooked it up with the PinDMD (v1) and I have a column that is constant on (at about 10%).

I ran the FT_Prog recommendation and was able to change from 1000 to 1001, but doesn't fix it at all. I watched a vid where the warm temp was making the PinDMD go crazy, but it's about 50 degrees so I don't think the cold temp would be an issue.

Does anyone no how to test if it the Vishay or the PinDMD?

I just received my Vishay DMD today. I hooked it up with the PinDMD (v1) and I have a column that is constant on (at about 10%).

I ran the FT_Prog recommendation and was able to change from 1000 to 1001, but doesn't fix it at all. I watched a vid where the warm temp was making the PinDMD go crazy, but it's about 50 degrees so I don't think the cold temp would be an issue.

Have you tried a different USB cable? Preferably a short, high quality one.

boogies, is your dmd plasma or LED?

i think they are pre flashed for LED.

on the pindmd v1 i had to flash the appropriate firmware update (plasma) on mine to get it to work, and not just display garbage.

boogies2 - which display is it. 1 column been stuck on sounds more like a display fault then a firmware/board fault :( when the pinDMD1 gets to hot the whole display will start showing garbage or if the firmware is wrong for the DMD again it will show just garbage. 1 stuck column sounds like a faulty shift register in the display. I have a 1 spare pinDMD1 if you would like to send it back for a swap. this way we can confirm if its the board/pinDMD1 :)

Here's a quick video of it - You can see the column on, until the PinDMD is unplugged.

@ 3:50, I also run a DMD test in a game, and you can also see a couple 8x8 squares that are a different color - not sure if it is anyway related - IE voltage regulation?

Russ - Thanks - I might take you up on that offer, but first I'm gonna talk with Noah at VirtuaPin and inform him as to what is going on.

Edited by boogies2

ok that's interesting, from what i can see from the video the faint column remains even when the display is totally blank? at this point the firmware is writing 0's to the dot data, basically turning all pixels off. does not seam like a board fault to me.

again with the slightly different 8x8 matrix segments being slightly different shade, there is no reason the firmware would target certain matrix and make it another shade. seams more like a faulty or slightly out of tolerance 8x8 matrix segment.

but i'm more then happy to test the board my self to confirm this :)

Edited by russdx

@rotoforever from the image i can see the 8th pixel down on the faint line the pixel is not lit up? can you play a few games and see if this pixel has died?

on my pinLED i has a dead pixel and it caused a faint line to appear like on your displays but at some point the faint line disappeared and the pixel remained dead. its like when a pixel dies it slightly shorts out a whole column.

which DMD are you running rotoforever

Give Noah a shout, it looks like from that video, that there is an issue with the display (the line constantly on. The 8x8 darker squares are probably covered, and deemed ok under manufacturing tolerances, due to it being assembled with modular panels and not one complete unit).

He should hopefully be able to arrange for Vishay to get it repaired or swap it for a replacement model. (if you can get hold on one that is - probably another 20 week wait!!)