Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Retrocade - bartop

mikekim

Speakers are mounted inside the cab. I went with some usb speakers. they sound quite good considering the size of them. http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHANNEL-Aluminium-Portable-Computer-required/dp/B00409GNUI/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332095619&sr=8-3

Volume is controlled via the Player 1 joystick up/down (shifted)

How do you find the volume control, does it work in hyperspin and all emulators, I've purchased a small amp with volume control but it's gonna be a pain to fit it so it looks right in the front panel. I was thinking of just extending the volume knob shaft and just having the dial sticking through the cab instead of the whole unit, but using the stick sounds like a better option...

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How do you find the volume control, does it work in hyperspin and all emulators, I've purchased a small amp with volume control but it's gonna be a pain to fit it so it looks right in the front panel. I was thinking of just extending the volume knob shaft and just having the dial sticking through the cab instead of the whole unit, but using the stick sounds like a better option...

the volume control via shifted up/down from the minipac interface works in all emulators and windows. its a simple solution to not having a physical volume control.

• 4 weeks later...

This is a nice build mate, very nice

Can I ask you, this is the original control panel supplied with these kits, but modified?

Im interested in doing the additional 3 buttons at the top, and possibly the two at the front, cant do the middle one for on/off due to me mounting a amp with volume there, although I might just get the front remade in MDF im not loving this amp I powered it up to day and the sounds not too good with a HUM every time I touched the BASS Knob lol not ideal!

The panel is custom. I ordered my panel blank, as initially i was looking to put in the controlls for player 1 and a trackball.

The on/off can be mounted anywhere on the cab, doesn't need to be at the front.

The admin buttons are a great help, saves having to setup (and remember) shifted buttons.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Can I ask where you got the panel blank from and how much it was?

Did it fit these cabs without any problem or was there any modifications you had to do in order to get it to fit?

I was thinking about a trackball but it wont fit on this panel lol :)

I got the panel from the original supplier. You could try emailling him for an additional panel.

I couldn't get the trackball to fit properly either, so i went with the 2 player layout instead

Mhhhh maybe not a trackball on this build then lol

Will the extra three buttons fit on top of the original control panel is that what you did?

Dont want to be drilling holes before I know for sure :)

if you look on the first page of this thread at my control panel layout pictures, and then compare them with your layout. you should be able to get a rough idea if they will fit

• 4 weeks later...

Mike, this looks great! The artwork really makes this bartop stand out, IMO.

Would you be willing to share your photoshop files for the artwork? (I saw you already posted your CP design) If not perhaps you could give me a pointer on where you found the original Space Invaders assets... I thought I was on a winner with arcadeartlibrary.com but no joy.

It's been a while since I last dabbled but I think this thread is responsible for my next cabinet build! :)

Thanks Mike!

Ordered my kit from tinyarcade today. I thought about cutting my own from MDF but I don't think my lungs have recovered from building my last cab yet, and that was over 5 years ago!

Thanks again for the upload. :)

Chris

Mike...

If its ok with you I think I'll be using your gfx for my Bartop. I really like the space invaders theme. Currently saving up for the printing hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be able to order it...

I might take you up on the offer of a different name for the marquee. I'm still trying to think of something which isn't easy..

Again thanks for the upload..

Richie

Thanks again Mike. I'm in the same boat as Richie, trying to think of a name....Son of Retrocade? ;) Really good of you to offer the name change, if / when I think of something I'll let you know :)

Does anyone know a decent UK based printer that can do this justice? If not I'll see what pricing Lucian045 can offer. When I did my last cab (a Centipede rip off, err, I mean homage) many years ago, I used arcadeshop.com for the artwork. I was really happy with it, but being US based the shipping costs were high. Plus, a £ bought many more $s back then compared to now!!

Cheers,

Chris

Lucian charged me around $190 (but 60 of that was shipping). Top quality service and the graphics are really easy to install.

I'm toying with the idea of a full size cab, or maybe a pinball next, and would use Lucians services again.

Mike,

Okay so I feel like a bit of an a**e for asking this given what you've already shared, but do you have the layered psd for the control panel? I've been studying images of the pre-drilled kit online and I'm pretty sure the sticks and buttons are in a slightly different place to your custom layout.

I think the safest option for those of us planning on replicating your artwork on the standard pre-drilled kit would be to remove the stick / button icons before printing, which would obviously be a two second job with the layered psd.

If you don't have the layered psd anymore no worries, I reckon with a bit of work I can pull in the big invader from the sideart, and the other button icons are easy to wipe out.

Cheers,

Chris

PS - I noticed the big invader on the cp / side has a sort of lighter "bloom" in his centre, rather than being solid black - would you say this is particularly noticeable on the final printed copy?

Lucian charged me around $190 (but 60 of that was shipping). Top quality service and the graphics are really easy to install.

Cool, that's good to know, thanks.

I'm toying with the idea of a full size cab, or maybe a pinball next, and would use Lucians services again.

If you've got the space for a full size cab I'd absolutely recommend it, I had a blast building mine. :proud: Unfortunately the missus said we didn't have the space for it in the house so it's been relegated to the garage. :hmpf:

Chris

Mike,

Okay so I feel like a bit of an a**e for asking this given what you've already shared, but do you have the layered psd for the control panel? I've been studying images of the pre-drilled kit online and I'm pretty sure the sticks and buttons are in a slightly different place to your custom layout.

I think the safest option for those of us planning on replicating your artwork on the standard pre-drilled kit would be to remove the stick / button icons before printing, which would obviously be a two second job with the layered psd.

If you don't have the layered psd anymore no worries, I reckon with a bit of work I can pull in the big invader from the sideart, and the other button icons are easy to wipe out.

Cheers,

Chris

PS - I noticed the big invader on the cp / side has a sort of lighter "bloom" in his centre, rather than being solid black - would you say this is particularly noticeable on the final printed copy?

The control panel on the ftp is fully layered, so that shouldnt be a problem.

The image is full black, and the bloom in photos is just reflected light

Ahh - I should have used invaders control panel.psd (layered), not invaders control panel new.psd (not layered) - cheers!

I actually see the bloom (if that's the right word) in the psd in photoshop - can't say I noticed it in your pics of the cab. Weird...

Cheers again for all your contributions!

Chris

Archived