Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Retrocade - bartop

mikekim

Mike,

Is the ServoStik control board attached in this picture?

Or do you have it attached elsewhere on the cab, and wired?

Nope, but I have installed it in the space on the top left hand side.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So as long as it is wired, it doesn't NEED to be attached/touching the joystick?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the servos, or the control board.

The servos are attached to the joysticks as shown. The red and black wires from each servo go to the control board. The only limitation of positioning for the control board are the length of the connecting wires.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Mike,

Looking at the photos you've posted of your build, I can't tell if the marquee has a slight teal tint to it...

Is that just the way the camera is capturing it, or does the marquee look teal with light behind it?

(original colors)

Having been given the original artwork and build advice from awesome Mike I would say it's the camera making it look like teal

But he's full of surprises so I could be wrong

Sent from the smut hut

Any opinions on adding LED buttons to the Retrocade?

I love the Retrocade. I also love the look and options with LED buttons...

Just can't tell if they would look good together...

Thoughts?

Led= problems the current project I'm working has gone through 3 lamp changes

Like always I say keep it simple

25fe3b66b5be92f528f55d6e76ed1939.jpg

Sent from the smut hut

Any opinions on the cosmetics of LED buttons on the Retrocade, though?

Can't tell if it would look good or bad...

(As a certified/certifiable Disney nut... your Magic Kingdom bartop is AWESOME... link to the full build?)

I think for that true retro look I would go without a the lights the money you would have spent on lights spend on true leaf switches

And I'll put a build thread up once it's complete

014522b3f1d10e473aae9fde443ba586.jpg

Sent from the smut hut

Mike,

Looking at the photos you've posted of your build, I can't tell if the marquee has a slight teal tint to it...

Is that just the way the camera is capturing it, or does the marquee look teal with light behind it?

(original colors)

sorry for taking so long to get back to you re this..

the marquee is printed in the same colour as the original sides, but because its printed on transparent vinyl and there where 2 sets of led lights behind it the colour looks washed out.

moving forward.. i'm thinking about putting some white paper (or similar material) on the back of the marquee to stop the majority of the light bleed and preserve the original colour.

as for leds, i'm putting them in for the coin and start buttons but not sure about the main buttons, i suppose they would look ok if only left at white.

the marquee is printed in the same colour as the original sides, but because its printed on transparent vinyl and there where 2 sets of led lights behind it the colour looks washed out.

moving forward.. i'm thinking about putting some white paper (or similar material) on the back of the marquee to stop the majority of the light bleed and preserve the original colour.

as for leds, i'm putting them in for the coin and start buttons but not sure about the main buttons, i suppose they would look ok if only left at white.

I've been using spare white off cuts from my print to put on the back of marquee as the led don't give a nice glow like old lights

I'm still not 100% happy with it

Sent from the smut hut

• 1 year later...

Thanks again for all the inspiration and guidance. I tried LED buttons, but I hated the off-white color of the unlit buttons. It didn't gel with the Retrocade. So as an awesome, but not exactly simple workaround, I took the LEDs out of my Ultimarc ClassicRGB buttons and wired them into my solid white GroovyGameGear CLASSX. The result is fracking amazing. The buttons look solid white, when the arcade is off, or when they are not illuminated. However, when the buttons are lit, they glow with the color/light, enough that they are clearly noticeable -- for highlighting gameplay functionality -- but not too bright that they're overwhelming or distracting. 

I'm still trying to get a good photo, but all attempts so far get washed out. Here's a video where you can kinda see it in action:

• 3 months later...

Hi All

An old thread now I guess and I don't think I have posted before, but I wanted to thank this community, and in particular this thread, for the many ideas and the inspiration to build my bar-top which I have just finished. Thanks all!!!

I've attached a pic of my cab. Happy to answer any questions.

Cheers

Ron

post-27541-0-10761500-1473671012_thumb.jpg

Space invaders ... Thought I'd share mine. Actually trying to sell to no avail , I guess it's not that popular but I still like it and might just keep it. My photoshop was a little off on button overlays but I learned from the mistakes. Happy building guys!

8afa7ceffe8f68e51ed4ad73bdeec5d7.jpg

6324e6017c8e75a8d7c56c29134394ae.jpg

b0ea93c1f612e92db45377f12ba30940.jpg

875697a7900aa72c0e67666e1cee61f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
On 5/31/2014 at 7:07 AM, mikekim said:

its really surprising what you find when you start looking through old image files...

here are the original designs i had for the retrocade artwork before i decided on the Invaders theme:

Marquee

fwrb.png

Side

3us1.png

Control Panel

3w2d.png

Front Panel

t1lf.png

I was wondering if you have the file for the side art.  I kind of like this design.  I may use it for my bartop that I am making.  I know this thread is pretty old but I was hoping to get the unflattened photoshop files so I can move some things around.

Thanks 

Archived