Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Indiana Jones and the Pinball Crusade (46/28/15) build project

bill55

Ok...time for more updates. Took a day off work and got a bit more done over the weekend too.

Finally got to work on the backbox screens and speakers. Decased the Dynex 15" LCD (my DMD display). I was not happy to see that the boards were not mounted to the screen like the other screens I am using. I decided to mount the boards to a 1/2" piece of wood so they wouldn't just be laying inside the backbox. Still not sure if I will somehow mount this to the back of the speaker grill or to the inside of the backbox.

DSC_0329.JPG

The LCD screen mounted to the speaker panel. Fits perfectly! Use 4 screws to mount it to the back.

DSC_0333.JPG

DSC_0334.JPG

Speaker panel from the front with the plexi and screen in place.

DSC_0335.JPG

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now to mount the backglass screen. I decided to go with strips of the MDO mounted from left to right across the backbox, then using bolts to hold the screen to the wood. The top strip of wood is screwed in through the backbox sides as well as from the top.

DSC_0325.JPG

For the bottom wood strip I made it an 'L' shape. Part of the strip is under the screen and part is behind it. Pretty simple to do and everything seems pretty solid.

DSC_0326.JPG

DSC_0327.JPG

For the bolting of the monitor I needed something where I didn't have to reach behind the screen to put a nut on. I used those nuts that have the teeth on them and you nail into the wood. Worked perfectly along with the 2" bolts.

DSC_0317.JPG

DSC_0316.JPG

You can see I had to route some slots in the wood so the TV would sit flush. There were a couple things in the back of the screen that would have prevented it sitting flat.

DSC_0320.JPG

DSC_0321.JPG

Here you can see the wood strips from the side of the backbox. Few screws to hold them in place.

DSC_0322.JPG

Both mounting strips installed and ready for the screen.

DSC_0319.JPG

DSC_0318.JPG

Screen mounted.

DSC_0324.JPG

DSC_0328.JPG

Got the fan hole and vent holes drilled out as well. (Rotozip with circle attachment worked awesome on the large holes.)

DSC_0332.JPG

It is looking good. I like the backglass TV mounting.

The vent holes above the backbox fan will be a issue if the fan is blowing out. The fan will just short flow the air in the top hole and out the fan not cooling anything.

You think it will not do any good? I have seen other machines use a similar design. I was thinking that without the vents there would be no air circulation. Or should I say not enough for a fan that size. I thought the vents would allow it to move air freely.

I have vent holes in the same place because that is how it was made from the factory. But there is no fan I am real pinball machine and the heat just flows out the top holes. I had to cover the top holes because I have my fan blowing out. You don’t want air to flow in the top holes and out your fan. You want fresh air coming in lower and hot air out toward top.

I would say it not a real big deal because you are putting a fan in the bottom cab also.

Just try it you will see what I am describing.

So I should have that fan pull air in, instead of out, mameman? Wouldn't I need a filter if I use it as an intake fan? Do they even make them that big?

pinballlooking: I totally get what you are saying. I wasn't thinking it would just be pulling the air in the top and right out the bottom and trapping warm air below or anything. I thought with a fan that size it would still pull any air out of the entire backbox, plus circulate fresh air in through the vents.

So I should have that fan pull air in, instead of out, mameman? Wouldn't I need a filter if I use it as an intake fan? Do they even make them that big?

pinballlooking: I totally get what you are saying. I wasn't thinking it would just be pulling the air in the top and right out the bottom and trapping warm air below or anything. I thought with a fan that size it would still pull any air out of the entire backbox, plus circulate fresh air in through the vents.

i have had them running both ways, made little difference. there is more room inside that head than there is inside the case of a screen so i would not worry about cooling that much. filter? lol is your house that dusty :)

i have had them running both ways, made little difference. there is more room inside that head than there is inside the case of a screen so i would not worry about cooling that much. filter? lol is your house that dusty :)

:-)

No...(at least I don''t think it is). When I was talking about intake fans on the cabinet a while back I was told I should use a filter on the intake fan.

Good point about the space in the original screen cases. And there is no fan in those at all. Even with this as an outtake fan it would have to be better than the original case I would think.

Did some work on the speaker/DMD panel yesterday.

Cut out some pieces to mount the speakers to the speaker panel.

DSC_0336.JPG

Few extra's for the other pins I'm working on.

DSC_0338.JPG

Mounted those to the speaker panel. (Had to be careful not to go through the front!)

IMAGE_2FC6D9AB-D7AC-4A05-B02B-BBF275C824AE.JPG

With the speaker mounted.

IMAGE_D3C18CB7-DD71-4211-9FA8-4532AE5A304D.JPG

From the front with both speakers and the DMD screen installed.

IMAGE_798E76BC-5DDD-48C9-9D1A-3BECBB6E040E.JPG

Put some mesh over the vents on the backbox. (Great tip Mameman on the gutter covers at Lowe's!) About $3 for 20 feet! Just used a regular staple gun to hold it in place.

IMAGE_D4F86B82-1EA7-4F9A-BB1F-24D3C545B8B4.JPG

A shot of the speaker panel in the backbox with the screen.

IMAGE_F25BF817-5F0D-494B-9514-D9764CD57120.JPG

Thanks guys! Props to Mameman for making the panel and the speaker advice. I found a cheap composite shelf at Lowe's for like $3 and used it to cut those speaker adapters from that.

Zablon: That plastic strip along the top of the speaker panel is called the 'H Channel'. (LINK)

You will need some 10-32 ½” machine screws and washers to attach the plunger as the kit does not come with them. Simply route out the hole according to the Nanotech install PDF instructions and use the screws and washers to secure the plunger to the cabinet.

Placement of the board depends on if you plan on using the keyboard encoder of the adapter. The wires that come with it are a little short, so you will have to keep it relatively close to the buttons. It works best if you're going with an apron design, as you can simply mount it upside down on the apron.

Having trouble finding the PDF install instructions on their site. I'll keep digging and go grab those screws and washers. Thx.

I am using the IPac2 for the controls so I will only be using the Mot-Ion adapter for the plunger and nudging. Recommendation for placement? Right to the inside front of the cab?

Edit: I found this pic on vpforums. I think I get it now.

http://vpforums.org/imghost/208/sdc14225.jpg

Bill,

Great thread and great build so far.

Just wanted to say thanks to you and all the other Cab builders with such informative build threads. The details and links you put into your posts really helps with design ideas and parts to use etc.

So thanks! and keep it up. Will be keeping a close eye on the progress of this one as it seems to have exactly what my research has led me to want for mine. Really interested to see how the nudging and plunger work out too.

Seems I have so much work to do yet before I can even start building that the task is actually a little daunting. But I WILL have a pincab in my house :D

Cheers,

Arkay.

Archived