Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Indiana Jones and the Pinball Crusade (46/28/15) build project

bill55

OK....Got some more wiring done yesterday. I'll post a few pics, then I am going to post a few with labeling on them. Let me know if this all looks right to you guys.

The power cord you see is coming from my 24v power supply. That is then in daisy chained to the 12v power supply. Closeup pics of the wiring to follow.

post-27857-142870575243_thumb.jpg

post-27857-142870575247_thumb.jpg

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK guys. Let me know if this all looks right or if I screwed something up :-) I tried to label with as much detail as I thought was needed.

Basically how I hooked everything up was connecting the 24v power supply to the outlet via a computer power cable that I cut the end off. I then daisy chained the 12v power supply off these same connections. (Both power supplies are on one power cable to the outlet).

I then took the +V from the 12v and 24v power supplies to separate terminal blocks. I took the -V from the 12v and 24v power supplies to the SAME terminal block. (The -V from both power supplies is connected via my 'Common' terminal block. I daisy chained all the terminal block connections together for each block to give myself an easier way to connect multiple things to each.

Here is the 24v power supply and all the connections labeled.

post-27857-142870575248_thumb.jpg

Here is the 12v power supply and all the connections labeled.

post-27857-142870575251_thumb.jpg

Here is the 12v terminal block.

post-27857-142870575254_thumb.jpg

Here is the 24v & Common terminal blocks as well as the Dual H Bridge.

post-27857-142870575256_thumb.jpg

Last but not least....The LEDWiz

post-27857-142870575257_thumb.jpg

Another shot of the LEDWiz

post-27857-14287057526_thumb.jpg

Holly Cow Bill, this series of photos is like a VP wiring centerfold (only the pages don't stick together)! The entire thing looks Great!

Where did you get the wire conduit? I did not see it in the parts list.

Observation: The one thing that jumps out at me is that your hot 12v and 24v source use a common wire color which is also common to the control wires (exiting the ledwiz), which are not uniquely color coded by volts either. Seems like that could come back to haunt you some day.

Just to make sure I am following your pattern;

the orange wires, post fuse, with resistor, are for cree's (12v)

the light blue wires, post fuse, are for leds (12v) or contactor/knocker (24v)

the dark blue wires are all ledwiz to fuse bank

black is ground, all tied together.

from power supplies: light blue is 12v and 24v and orange is linking the 12v together or (separately) the 24v together

Thanks,

Matt

Holly Cow Bill, this series of photos is like a VP wiring centerfold (only the pages don't stick together)! The entire thing looks Great!

Thanks

Observation: The one thing that jumps out at me is that your hot 12v and 24v source use a common wire color which is also common to the control wires (exiting the ledwiz), which are not uniquely color coded by volts either. Seems like that could come back to haunt you some day.

I had 4 colors of wire and did mix and match as I needed to. That's why I labelled my terminal blocks and such so I knew what was where. I also have a spreadsheet of my LED-Wiz connections so I know what is what. Not ideal I agree, but I've been as careful as I can.

Just to make sure I am following your pattern;

the orange wires, post fuse, with resistor, are for cree's (12v) - YES

the light blue wires, post fuse, are for leds (12v) or contactor/knocker (24v) - YES. Basically any led-wiz connection not for my cree's

the dark blue wires are all ledwiz to fuse bank - YES

black is ground, all tied together. YES. Well the black is the common for the stuff powered by the power supply. I won't use that for the ground to my buttons or anything. Is this technically the ground since it's the -V? I wasn't sure of what it was called to be honest since the power supply has a 3rd wire (ground) that connects to the power outlet.

from power supplies: light blue is 12v and 24v and orange is linking the 12v together or (separately) the 24v together - Yes. I used orange to join all the terminal contacts. I was using them differently then didn't feel like redoing all those short pieces when I rearranged things. The 12v and 24v connections to and from the terminal blocks are light blue. In hind sight I should have gotten like 8 colors, but this is my first pin. Had no idea how much wire I needed.

Thanks,

Matt

See my replies in BOLD.

Ok...need some confirmation that I was interpreting this correctly. This is a diagram of my relay, knocker, and gear motor. Those are the only 2 things that should need a relay I believe. Can someone please confirm if my labeling looks right? I understand that both devices need a separate relay. I only did 1 pic though. I believe for the knocker the 12v connections would need to be 24v instead though. That sound right?

Please let me know what (if anything) is wrong with this wiring.

Thanks!

Bill

UPDATE: PICS REMOVED. Corrected ones posted below

assuming that is a 12v relay

85 goes to the 12v power rail (+)

86 goes to a trigger port on your ledwiz (-)

87 goes to the ground wire on the wiper motor

30 goes to the your ground rail

then run a hot wire from your 12v rail to the wiper motor's positive wire.

assuming that is a 12v relay

85 goes to the 12v power rail (+)

86 goes to a trigger port on your ledwiz (-)

87 goes to the ground wire on the wiper motor

30 goes to the your ground rail

then run a hot wire from your 12v rail to the wiper motor's positive wire.

Yes. They are 12v relays. I'll redo my pics and repost.

oh so its purely for sound effect?

It is supposed to reproduce the mechanical sound from things like the mouth of Rudy (Funhouse)and Red & Ted (RoadShow), the cannons on Startrek, things like that, not sure what other games. I have not yet investigated how VP/FP knows to run the motor, but I am sure it can be customized for any game.

Wiring, wiring, and more wiring. I must say. I expected the wiring to take a while and be sort of a pain. This has been ever more than I anticipated. No major issues yet (knock on wood), but damn has it taken a long time. I would have to guess 15+ hours of wiring overall. I'm sure I could do another quicker, but still....very time consuming. I am almost done though. Still have the LED panel left to go, but everything else is pretty much wired.

Shaker

post-27857-142870575279_thumb.jpg

Front buttons with power for lighting and controls wired.

post-27857-142870575283_thumb.jpg

I have been lurking in this thread and read it a couple times over and I must say: what an awesome job you're doing both in building the cabinet as well as documenting it. Especially the wiring and force-feedback stuff answered a few questions for me! Hope it works out great for you!

You are very welcome. I have asked countless questions to so many people around here. (esp Mameman who probably wishes I didn't have his email address) lol. I figured the best thing I could do to help others is post details of what I am doing to hopefully avoid the amount of questions I asked everyone. Hope it helps.

I can't wait to get this done and play some pinball!!!! Still have artwork after this is all done. Wish I could have had it done first, but wanted to focus on the build.

Archived