Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Horror Comic Inspired Build

Hey there! I've been working on my cabinet for a few days now, and I thought I'd share some photos with y'all. In the end, the cabinet will feature horror comic artwork, as that's my line of business (I'm a professional comic book writer and letterer.)

My wife and I are building the cabinet based on Ultimate Arcade II plans. Enjoy the photos, and feel free to ask questions if you've got 'em!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.jpg

Here are a few ideas I have worked up for side panel art. These are pulled straight from one of my comics.

LeftSide.jpg

RightSide.jpg

And here's the semi-budget PC I built to go inside the cab. I purchased everything from Newegg, except the massive video card. That was donated by one of my twitter followers!

pc1.jpg

pc2.jpg

That's it for now, but I'll be back with more updates on the weekend.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Haha i love how semi budget looks high end!.. I think i have a Old P4 in mine. Great start. Have you figured out a name yet?

Haha, I built the whole thing for under $500, so that's "budget" to me, I suppose.

I've been thinking hard about a name, but I haven't settled on one just yet. I'm still debating on whether I should go with graphics from one of my comics, or something from my old favorites, Creepy and Eerie.

you may have "screwed the pooch" with that ATI Video card. Nvidia would have been the way to go...

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the pic. I set my whole arcade up with an ATI 5850, noticed some problems with Model 2, Demul and Zinc (its not like they ran perfectly to begin with though) so I lived with it (plus most of it is CPU limited). Then came Taito Type X games. . .You should switch. The pictures look like its still new, take it back for an Nvidia you'll be happier in the long run.

Cab's looking good by the way.

Just reread, so your card was donated by a Twitter follower eh?. . .sell it on ebay lol

Just reread, so your card was donated by a Twitter follower eh?. . .sell it on ebay lol

Yeah, it was totally free. If you don't mind my asking, what would be the issue with the ATI card? I have HDMI outs on my onboard vid, so it wouldn't be a huge issue for me to scrap the card if need be. I just wanted something that could run Street Fighter 4.

I dunno, I have a Radeon HD 6870 and haven't had an issue with any games yet. Granted, I don't have Taito Type X and I heard one or two of those games can be a problem with ATI cards, so if that's important to you keep that in mind. But I've had no issues with Model 2, Demul, NullDC, ePSXe, among others.

I dunno, I have a Radeon HD 6870 and haven't had an issue with any games yet. Granted, I don't have Taito Type X and I heard one or two of those games can be a problem with ATI cards, so if that's important to you keep that in mind. But I've had no issues with Model 2, Demul, NullDC, ePSXe, among others.

Awesome! The only thing I plan to run which will require the power of the card will be Street Fighter 4. Nothing else is any higher than Sega 32X.

This would go great With The House of the Dead Series... Combine the artwork with the hillariously bad voice acting, then PRESTO. You have yourself a 50's B Movie at it's finest.

COME! And find out What happens to TheIronRachel!

SEE! How Much she laughs at DAHMES (James) and ROWHGUN (Rogan)

FEEL! The terror of how well it all ties into the horror theory!

Yeah, it was totally free. If you don't mind my asking, what would be the issue with the ATI card? I have HDMI outs on my onboard vid, so it wouldn't be a huge issue for me to scrap the card if need be. I just wanted something that could run Street Fighter 4.

You should be fine. I was running Super Street Fighter IV: AE perfectly on ATI cards . remember though to turn off AA, driver glitch (Thank You ATI) causes the game to run under 60fps even with Vsync off.

The stereotype with Ati is that their awful with drivers, bringing up capability issues, glitches and shoddy performance. An like all stereotype, there is truth to it. Since your only video card usage will be when you play SSFIV or other steam games, you'll be fine with your card. forgot what we said. . .carry on :)

You should be fine. I was running Super Street Fighter IV: AE perfectly on ATI cards . remember though to turn off AA, driver glitch (Thank You ATI) causes the game to run under 60fps even with Vsync off.

The stereotype with Ati is that their awful with drivers, bringing up capability issues, glitches and shoddy performance. An like all stereotype, there is truth to it. Since your only video card usage will be when you play SSFIV or other steam games, you'll be fine with your card. forgot what we said. . .carry on :)

Thanks for the tips! I did notice that every time I start the machine, it boots up to the desktop, and after about 30 seconds, the screen goes black and comes back. I figured it was some sort of driver issue with the video card. I may just replace it in the future if it proves to be bothersome. No big deal.

Haha, you had me up until you called me "he". I'm a lady, dontchaknow?

Oops, EXCCUUUUUUUUUUUSE me.. I'll go an edit that right now. In all seriousness though, great job on the artwork. It'll go great with other games like Resident Evil or Silent Hill as well... wait, those arent arcade games, but hyperspin has the list support, so why not?

Im pretty sure SFIV was made to use Nvidia so i would say it is probably the most compatible, Honestly later down the road, you WILL want to add new emus...its like crack, and when you do, you are going to wish you took my advise. To each its own i guess.

P.s. Now im confused, at first, it seemed as though you were female(judging from the pretty lady in your avatar), but i remember seeing you post something about you having a "Wife". Now you say youre female?!??!?!? I guess i should have been thinking "outside the box" so to speak lol

P.s. Now im confused, at first, it seemed as though you were female(judging from the pretty lady in your avatar), but i remember seeing you post something about you having a "Wife". Now you say youre female?!??!?!? I guess i should have been thinking "outside the box" so to speak lol

Haha, it's really not so confusing. I'm a lesbian.

NOTHING is wrong with ATI, NVIDIA just has some rancid fan boys.

Here are a few ideas I have worked up for side panel art. These are pulled straight from one of my comics.

LeftSide.jpg

RightSide.jpg

OMG I MUST see your comics.

And here's the semi-budget PC I built to go inside the cab. I purchased everything from Newegg, except the massive video card. That was donated by one of my twitter followers!

pc1.jpg

pc2.jpg

That's it for now, but I'll be back with more updates on the weekend.

LOVE the ASUS, ATI, AMD combo all SOLID brands with quality products.

OMG I MUST see your comics.

LOVE the ASUS, ATI, AMD combo all SOLID brands with quality products.

If you have twitter, you can follow me for updates on my comics, and details on where to buy them, etc. @racheldeering

And yeah, I purposefully bought ASUS and AMD, because I know them to be great brands. The ATI card was a freebie, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Well ATI was bought by AMD some time ago 4 years or so I believe... as least so it seems. AMD finally did away with the ATI name the last few series of video cards they came out with if you buy a new line ATI its all labeled AMD

I love the idea's that you have going for the artwork. I am looking forward to see how this cabinet comes together. I have built a machine for one of my customers using the same exact hardware and I have had no issues with ATI/AMD products. They are running it with no issues. I cant wait to see the final product.

I love the idea's that you have going for the artwork. I am looking forward to see how this cabinet comes together. I have built a machine for one of my customers using the same exact hardware and I have had no issues with ATI/AMD products. They are running it with no issues. I cant wait to see the final product.

Good to hear! I'm sure the artwork will change a million times before I settle on something. One thing is for sure, though, it WILL be horror related, because horror is my life!

There is nothing wrong with making changes. That is some of the fun with the creative process of the cabinet build. I have been working hard on my designs for months for my arcade cabinet build. I have yet to start building it until i get the software running perfectly, then I can go ahead and start the cabinet build.

But Cheers to your build. Good Luck. And as I said before I cant wait to see the progress of this build.

Archived