Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

New Bartop taking shape

richie_jones

Nice job on your build Rich! To get that bubble out of the marquee, poke it with a new exacto knife blade and press. Otherwise, leave it out in the sun for a couple of warm days and the material should tighten a bit and the bubble will come out eventually. Poking the bubble shouldn,t damage the graphic though so I would just do it that way. Great job applying the graphics.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope were did he get it? And hows it applied

Try gremlinsolutions.co.uk its probably 15mm chrome t-molding.

It clicks into place after you have cut a 1mm slot in the centre of the wood.

Sent from my mind, using the psychic friends network..

Ah ha...yes mike is correct I spent months looking for 12mm chrome t moulding and no one has it. I ended up buying it off eBay. It's 12mm but just flat, comes with some tape on the back but I just glued it on with superglue, after I think mike told me he had to stick his on with superglue...was far from easy to apply.

I thought it was gonna look really bad until I realised it had a plastic coating on the front, which peels away to leave a nice finish...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-Chrome-Self-Adhesive-Car-Detail-Edging-Styling-Moulding-Trim-Strip-12mm-/190710783007?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c673f9c1f&_uhb=1

Ah ha...yes mike is correct I spent months looking for 12mm chrome t moulding and no one has it. I ended up buying it off eBay. It's 12mm but just flat, comes with some tape on the back but I just glued it on with superglue, after I think mike told me he had to stick his on with superglue...

I think that was me. It was f**king horrible stuff to apply. It's trim designed to be used on the sides of cars, and it's not designed to bend, so when you bend it around tight curves like on on the front of the cab the sticky stuff either comes away from the cab or from the moulding or both, and rides up off of the surface. I had to glue it down inch by inch, holding it down while the glue set every few inches, then the moulding itself came away from it's foam backing (which had been glued to the cab by then) so i had to glue all THAT back on the same way. There are still little annoying gaps where it's coming away that bug me every time i see them.

The sticky foam backing on that moulding is a right pain. As well as not sticking well enough, it raises the moulding 1 mm or 2 off the surface of the cab so it doesn't sit flush, like it would if you removed the backing altogether.

It looks nice when it's done, and when the plastic cover is peeled off it's nice and shiny, but if i was applying it again i'd make sure to peel the sticky foam off the back of it completely and throw it away, and then glue the moulding itself on directly very carefully with epoxy resin or some other glue that takes a little while longer to set. Superglue is handy to stick it with, but it's runny and sets very quickly, so while it involves less time holding it in place to dry and it's less likely to squeegie out from under the sides of the moulding, it's also very easy to ruin your paintwork or vinyl wrap job if you let some drips of it get away from you, even for a few seconds.

Also, just as a general rule, as someone who's stuck himself to himself several times using superglue, i try to avoid it whenever possible :-(

Yes mack it was you my apologies...

I must admit I've left the foam backing on so now I'm worried it may peal away, if it does then I'll reorder some new stuff any reapply...

Inch by inch is the way to stick it making sure it's really tight around the corners. Looks great. But yes a pain..

Proper chrome t moulding would be better but if your in the UK and have used 12mm mdf you ain't gonna find anything other than 15mm chrome t moulding...

• 1 month later...
Very nicely finished off at the back there and the name plate is a nice touch. Great job :top:

Agree with eric, love the meshing, simple yet effective......

Can't wait to start my bartop (need to finish my main cab first), love the "detail touches" on this build Rich....

Thanks guys

Link to eBay for etch acrylic

I cant recommend this guy enough, his etch plates are top quality and really leave your mark for years to come on your arcade machine, be it a bartop or full size.

Who knows who will own your machine in the future allways nice to have your name on it...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150940003530?var=450138736894&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Archived