Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

ePSXe: found a solution to run the games flawless with psx2psp

pucpuc

The PBP format is a compressed Playstation 1 ISO, which saves space and do not need to be uncompressed to be played, I'm replacing RetroArch to virtually every system it emulates, because of its accuracy and it makes life easier for not needing to remap my PS3 controller (recognized as a Xbox 360), which makes life easier, but it still doesn't run PBP.

PCSXR proved to be a better emulator than EPSXE, it runs more fluently and I haven't any compatibility issues till date, also it runs PBP from HLHQ and HS without any loading times, my PS1 collection has 456 PBPs and it only needs 138 GB, if it were in ISO format, it easily should be around 300 GB, because we can choose compression rate and there's lots of titles that end up with half its original size, when I finish the Ps1 collection, about 1100 roms (I deleted lots of sport games and left only the latest releases, I didn't want to have Fifa 96,97,98,99,2000, only the latest ones for each sports games are OK for me) the size will be probably around 300 GB or less.

Its a great deal compressing to PBP for those who needs to save space, 7z can be more usefull for non cd bases systems because of its loading time.

I agree with Danmedregistrations, the games should be displayed like they were mean't to be, what's wrong with pixels?

I had actually converted my PS1 ISOS into PBP format when ePSXe first started supporting it, but that was also when I first started trying Mednafen. Eventually it's accuracy (could never get Tomba 2's BGM to loop correctly with any of ePSXe's sound plugins...) and ease of use won out over saving some hard drive space. My collection only takes up 52GB uncompressed so it's not too bad for me. Still, I hope Rypheca adds some type of ISO compression support eventually so I can have my cake and eat it too :D.

this thread turned into an interesting Retroarch discussion - Thanks bartmarley Awakened and Gigapig for sharing your settings.

I've switched to Retroarch for snes,nes,ms,genesis and will also try the other cores.

i think it's because we all started using epsxe, and when we met retroarch we were blown away by it's accuracy, so when someone asks for epsxe knowledge the only answer we can provide is to switch to better emu ^^

but everyone can do whatever he likes of course ^^ it's good sharing opinions, makes minds changes sometimes ;)

I use a mixture of RA/epsxe since I have found some games will only load in RA to a black screen (mainly Euro and Jap) and then RA times out.

It is just a matter of setting epsxe as an alternate emu for that specific game with RA as the default.

Epsxe on the other hand has worked for me for all games played so far (touch wood).

Has anyone else found this? Yes, they are standard bin/cue files as well so nothing out of the ordinary.

Why not just use Mednafen itself? That's what I use for this system and I've yet to encounter a game that doesn't work. I recorded the last chunk of missing PS1 games for emumovies which included a lot of rare Pal games and they all played perfectly fine. I'm talking rare like "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - Irish Edition (Ireland)" or "Time Bokan - Yattaman (Italy)". No problem with them at all.

Edit: This solution is no longer needed

I've managed to get the sound running properly on pcsxr - so no need for epsxe now

pcsxr with spuEternal.dll for sound and gpuPeopsOpenGL.dll is giving me the desired result now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

managed to run ePSXe without daemon tools.

also sound in subchannel data is no problem.

Solution is: psx2psp

just convert the games to psp - dadaaa! no dtools no black screen on Tomb Raider, CD sound.

I'm really happy with this solution because I like the epsxe plugins. Games look so much better with epsxe compared with other emus.

Comparison Wip3out PS1:

epsxe:

epsxersized.png

retroarch

RetroArchrsized.png

you can see a big difference here epsxe uses more of the video card awesome stuff mate!

Why not just use Mednafen itself? That's what I use for this system and I've yet to encounter a game that doesn't work. I recorded the last chunk of missing PS1 games for emumovies which included a lot of rare Pal games and they all played perfectly fine. I'm talking rare like "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - Irish Edition (Ireland)" or "Time Bokan - Yattaman (Italy)". No problem with them at all.

Thanks. I'll set it up and give Mednafen a try with the same games. EPSxe so far though for me has played all of the games that RA hasn't been able to.

PS: Any chance of pointing me in the direction of a copy of the WWTBAM - Irish game? I have 4 games missing from my xml and that is one of them. :)

Does Mednafen run PBP compressed PSX ISO?

It depends on how fast your cpu and hdd are. I have an i5 4670k and Western Digital Caviar Black I store games on. It takes about 20 seconds for a 500mb game to unzip. I don't like waiting on them but it saves a lot of drive space. For games I play often or if I'm playing a long JRPG, I will just leave those unzipped in the games folder so they load faster.

Have you ever considered PBP instead 7z?

Pros > Saves Space, No loading times + Saves Space and no Loading times

Cons > As far as I know, nor Retroarch or Madnafen runs this format, so I use PCSXR instead, which is far better than epsxe imo.

Other details: In a PSP, you can have multiple discs games into a single PBP, example, Final Fantasy VII, if the games prompts you to change the discs, you just have to press home and change it, it also happens in a Android smartphone, which recognizes multiple Discs into a single PBP file, but in HS, we need to have each Disc into a PBP, first because the Windows emulators doesn't support changing discs in-game inside this PBP and, for the database itself, which needs each disc in a file, i.e. Final Fantasy VII (USA) (Disc 1,2,3 an so on...), but, in a short time, I think all emulators will support multiple discs in a PBP file, so for database purposes we can create dummy files do fill the other discs entries.

Just a suggestion, I think it can clarify if someone needs to save space for PS1 games without compromising loading times.

Archived