Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Philips CD-i - Does anyone actually have it working?

Takaji

I'm curious to know if anyone has Philips CD-i working. Most games I try to load in MESS results in a blank cyan screen. I read on the MESS website that it only actually supports CD-i Mono - but I don't know which games are for CD-i Mono. I've got a very large rom collection, with a good deal of titles in CCD format. Before I convert those to bin/cue, I'm wondering if it's even worth it.

If anyone could provide some support, that would be greatly appreciated! :)

a) Use MESS's CHD dumps.

B) Use MESS's cdimono1 driver.

c) Games that use MPEG decoding cannot be played.

d) The cyan screen on startup is normal and if things work fine, you should soon see the startup screen.

e) BIOS should be in retroarch/system/mess/cdimono1.zip

This is another console I have working with Retroarch's MESS core.

a) Use MESS's CHD dumps.

B) Use MESS's cdimono1 driver.

c) Games that use MPEG decoding cannot be played.

d) The cyan screen on startup is normal and if things work fine, you should soon see the startup screen.

e) BIOS should be in retroarch/system/mess/cdimono1.zip

This is another console I have working with Retroarch's MESS core.

Is there any way to determine which games use MPEG decoding, or will I just need to try each game?

Also, do you have a HS-compatible XML database for the games with this MESS-style naming scheme? Or did you rename the CHDs to match the unofficial database floating around on the forum?

Thanks for the tips!

I just generally use whatever the MESS software list has and going with that, so I have no idea about bin/cue, etc... when it comes to CD-i, anyways.

I would say you probably have to try each game. I think the database I have came from a CD-I project someone here had done and I matched the CHD names to it.

Thanks to everyone's help, I went through the MESS CHD collection of CD-i titles, and produced this list of working games: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?38827-Philips-CD-i-Database-of-working-games

spotUP: Are you using the CD-i emulator with bin/cue files? I never tried that. Perhaps if you look at the games that don't work in this database you could tell me if they work in the CD-i emulator? https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XbXg0iUOKeXxXjkfTtPgWAW6Z6mkgET43dnAemnWHcI/edit?usp=sharing

• 6 months later...

mess using cdimono1 driver now gives me an error when loading :( i was working some time ago and now i just failst with

cdi200.rom NOT FOUND (tried in cdimono1 cdimono1)
cdic.bin NOT FOUND (NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN) (tried in cdimono1 cdimono1)
slave.bin NOT FOUND (NO GOOD DUMP KNOWN) (tried in cdimono1 cdimono1)
FATALERROR: Required files are missing, the machine cannot be run.

BUt all files are in roms folder, inside cdimono1.zip

• 1 year later...

I still have mine set to MESS 0.160. im sure it works with new MAME/Mess builds & retroarch too. I set it up played and tested a bunch of games because

I had never played it before. Haven't messed or played with it in some time. pretty sure it setup and played games no problem or without much tinkering.

it works. the controls and some other aspects of the system may not be as intuitive as some other consoles. the original games may not be polished 

but its kinda unique.

You'll need to use MAME and cdiemu to get this anywhere close to working. Different games work better with the two different emulators.

Also, support for the video module the Cdi had is pretty much non existent. So that excludes a bunch of games like 7th guest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried setting up "CD-i emulator" and then booted up one of the Zelda games. the sound and video were so out of sync it was completely broken.

Apparently it doesn't support game-pad's in that emulator either....

I've made several attempts to setup MESS via RetroArch, but it's an absolute headache. So many hoops to jump through... so many versions of games and crap...

I wish someone would do a concise and up-to-date,  video tutorial for that core because it's one of, if not THEE, last core/emulator in my way....

Well that and finding a compiled version of mame that works with Xpadder....

NIGHTMARE

I tried setting up "CD-i emulator" and then booted up one of the Zelda games. the sound and video were so out of sync it was completely broken.

Apparently it doesn't support game-pad's in that emulator either....

I've made several attempts to setup MESS via RetroArch, but it's an absolute headache. So many hoops to jump through... so many versions of games and crap...

I wish someone would do a concise and up-to-date,  video tutorial for that core because it's one of, if not THEE, last core/emulator in my way....

Well that and finding a compiled version of mame that works with Xpadder....

NIGHTMARE

MAME / MESS inside I'd RA is a double bag of hurt. It makes no sense - it's far easier and endlessly better to just use MAME directly.

Best way to approach this system is to use both cdiemu and MAME. Set the system to use MAME as the main emulator - then set cdiemu per game where that works better.

Why would you need xpadder for MAME? MAME support all kinds of inputs, keyboards, mice, pads, guns. Also it supports multiple bindings for each control. Can't see the need for xppadder with MAME.

27 minutes ago, tonesmalone said:

MAME / MESS inside I'd RA is a double bag of hurt. It makes no sense - it's far easier and endlessly better to just use MAME directly.

Best way to approach this system is to use both cdiemu and MAME. Set the system to use MAME as the main emulator - then set cdiemu per game where that works better.

Why would you need xpadder for MAME? MAME support all kinds of inputs, keyboards, mice, pads, guns. Also it supports multiple bindings for each control. Can't see the need for xppadder with MAME.

Everyone says stand-alone is easier, and I'm sure it is... but having things in RetroArch keeps my system as uniform as possible. Same hotkeys, input mapping, shaders etc across all systems...  so it actually makes more sense for me to emulate as much as humanely possible in RetroArch.

Regarding Xpadder in MAME, the native controller support is fine and all, but the problem with native controller support is you have to map it to a single controller. So, like, if I map MAME to my X360 controller, I have to use my X360 controller in MAME. While that sounds perfectly logical, my entire system is setup with Xpadder to avoide that specific issue.

Using Xpadder, I set a keyboard profile for each player and then map that profile across all my controllers. X360, X1, PS3, PS4, Wiimote, Saturn, Genesis, SNES, NES, N64, GC, PSX, Xbox, etc etc etc.

When you set it up like that, you can unplug one controller and plug in any other controller and it immediately works just the same. This has been FANTASTIC at the few parties I've brought my system to. We were playing some fighting games, and we'd have one person on a SAT pad, and P2 on a SNES pad, and then the next guy wanted to use an Arcade Stick, and then another just wanted an X360 controller. It didn't take any screwing around, you just unplug one and plug in another.

With MAME though, it completely ignores Xpadder... and I'd love to be able to use my whole myriad of controllers with it. A lot of those arcade games cry for a sega saturn controller, while others you just want to use an atari style joystick, and others still an arcade stick is best.

Regarding the point about being only able to map to a specific controller - this isn't correct.

MAME supports multi mapping, from multiple inputs to a single control. I have MAME setup so I can use both my cab control panel or a pad if I choose.

2 hours ago, agent47 said:

You don't need a special compile of MAME to use xpadder. You just need to set the input type in the mame.ini for direct input.

I've read so many times you have to compile a version with directinput enabled :( I'm trying this out as soon as I get home lol That's going to be amazing if this works :)

2 hours ago, tonesmalone said:

Regarding the point about being only able to map to a specific controller - this isn't correct.

MAME supports multi mapping, from multiple inputs to a single control. I have MAME setup so I can use both my cab control panel or a pad if I choose.

I'm going to check this out too. It still sounds like more work than Xpadder, but I hadn't seen this when I was trying to make it work before.

4 hours ago, badboo said:

I have this system abandoned as well. Too complicated to configure or it hasn't been developed that much. 

I have it decorating my hyperspin only and its roms taking space on my hdd lol

If there is a tutorial, that would be great.

That's precisely the situation with me. Same thing with Atari Jaguar CD (Though apparently that's still being worked on with Virtual Jaguar, fancy that!)

I set up a big "OUT OF ORDER" logo to pop up on those systems when perusing the main wheel though which was a cool effect.

I managed to run NEO Geo CD using MAME/MESS core via Retroarch, the same guy that showed how (over retroarch forums), said he used CDI in it and affirmed that every other system MESS can run can also be run via Retroarch, we just need to follow some steps.

I'll try CDI this week and come back with the results.

The best NEO Geo CD experience I had regarding emulation is using it via Retroarch, I used Raine before, but it has lots of things that bugged me.

5 hours ago, Aorin said:

I managed to run NEO Geo CD using MAME/MESS core via Retroarch, the same guy that showed how (over retroarch forums), said he used CDI in it and affirmed that every other system MESS can run can also be run via Retroarch, we just need to follow some steps.

I'll try CDI this week and come back with the results.

The best NEO Geo CD experience I had regarding emulation is using it via Retroarch, I used Raine before, but it has lots of things that bugged me.

I'm using Raine right now for Neo Geo CD myself. You're right though it's not ideal. Especially compared to RetroArch.

I think I participated in that conversation at RA for a bit, but it just became so hard to follow. I think I got some of the GX4000 roms to load, but they weren't looking right. That's about as far as I got at the time. Would love to get Neo Geo CD working with it, but I still need to find a source of CHDs. All my Neo Geo CD games are disc images. That's another thing that makes MESS such a pain... specific rom-types.

Would love to see your input on CD-i though. While it's not a system I'm particularly 'dying' to play, It is one of the 9 (out of 75) systems I have left for full functionality.

OK, I'll try that early this week and get back to you with or without results, I'm feeling the need to make a simple guide for MESS/Retroarch, it can help people stuck with NEO GEO CD and other systems.

The CHD stuff is boring, yes, I had to compress my NEO GEO set, fortunately they are less than 100 titles, but in PD, the software lists already comes in CHDs, it can help a lot to free some time.

14 hours ago, SkyHighGam3r said:

That's precisely the situation with me. Same thing with Atari Jaguar CD (Though apparently that's still being worked on with Virtual Jaguar, fancy that!)

I set up a big "OUT OF ORDER" logo to pop up on those systems when perusing the main wheel though which was a cool effect.

1 hour ago, Aorin said:

OK, I'll try that early this week and get back to you with or without results, I'm feeling the need to make a simple guide for MESS/Retroarch, it can help people stuck with NEO GEO CD and other systems.

The CHD stuff is boring, yes, I had to compress my NEO GEO set, fortunately they are less than 100 titles, but in PD, the software lists already comes in CHDs, it can help a lot to free some time.

I have atari jaguar CD and neo geo CD on my hyperspin, but they are not the most loved system for me, so I don't remember how I have them configured  or if they are working well. I will have a look and come back with what I have.

OK,  I managed to run CD-i in Retroarch (MAME core [includes MESS inside]).

This is really easy, I`m not sure if it works with bin+cue, I tested with a CHD CD-i game.

In short you need:

Retroarch 1.4.0 and a MAME core

A CD-i game in CHD

cdimono1.7z or cdimono1.zip (proper for MESS, now MAME) this file should be inside the same folder where the CHDs are, no other location will make games load and RA will crash.

2_zpsmvuoic0d.jpg

Maybe you'll need to open a normal MAME game using retroarch first to change three options, they are:

Enable softlists (OFF)

Media type (cdrm)

Boot from CLI (ON)

1.jpg

Now load the game, it should run without problems.

In this game, the mouse sensitivity was too high and I had to configure all inputs in my gamepad inside MAME OSD config, it's not TAB in Retroarch it's dash "/" it seems to be working fine now.

Apprentice, The (Europe)-170201-165154.jpg

Apprentice, The (Europe)-170201-165155.jpg

Apprentice, The (Europe)-170201-165248.jpg

I'm going to put this guide in Libretro Forums as well, there are a lot of people looking for this kind of guide, I'll add NEO GEO CD as well.

I'm going to try FM Towns Marty soon.

Oh wow man, that is great. I even like how it looks with the filter you have on. I will try tonight now that I know retroarch runs this system now.

And since I updated retroarch to 1.4, I will even try the other systems like atari CD ad neo geo CD to see if those work as well.

1 minute ago, badboo said:

Oh wow man, that is great. I even like how it looks with the filter you have on. I will try tonight now that I know retroarch runs this system now.

And since I updated retroarch to 1.4, I will even try the other systems like atari CD ad neo geo CD to see if those work as well.

OK, I can also try Jaguar CD later.

In case you want to try the shader I use, it's this one:

1.jpg

Archived