Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Noob Guide for HyperSpin Hyplerlaunch, HyperSync, and MAME

ouguitarman

Hey guys,

There are quite a few guides out there, but I have not been able to find a noob or intermediate guide for HyperSpin, Hyperlaunch, HyperSync, and MAME in one place. I built one and hope it helps.

http://gameroomsolutions.com/setup-hyperspin-mame-hyperlaunch-full-guide/

Please let me know if there are other pieces I should add to help others.

Thanks,

Hey guys,

There are quite a few guides out there, but I have not been able to find a noob or intermediate guide for HyperSpin, Hyperlaunch, HyperSync, and MAME in one place. I built one and hope it helps.

http://gameroomsolutions.com/setup-hyperspin-mame-hyperlaunch-full-guide/

Please let me know if there are other pieces I should add to help others.

Thanks,

Very nice! And straight to the point.

One recommendation. You mention nothing about updating HyperLaunch. As time and updates come out, they are not posted here. They are all on the GIT site. So, your guide is already outdated. ;)

Also,

You do not need to add a GLOBAL emulator. If you rename your ...\HyperLaunch\Settings\Global Emulators (Example).ini as ...\HyperLaunch\Settings\Global Emulators.ini before you launch HLHQ the first time, all the emulators are listed and you just need to set the emulator location. ;)

Thanks,

Ron

Great guide! All the pictures make it easy to follow. Question: does Don's Hyperspin Tools use the settings in HyperHQ? Is that why you recommend inputting paths and extensions under the section about creating a database? Otherwise you should handle ALL of that through HyperlaunchHQ, and having people filling in those paths there is setting them up for potential conflicts. Also I'm not sure but I don't think you'll lose any of the information in the official Mame database if you just use Don's tools to create an xml off your romset directly, instead of editing the official one (But I could be wrong about that.)

Altogether great guide. I don't see why you wouldn't just plop in a thread on this site, though.

Very nice! And straight to the point.

One recommendation. You mention nothing about updating HyperLaunch. As time and updates come out, they are not posted here. They are all on the GIT site. So, your guide is already outdated. ;)

Also,

You do not need to add a GLOBAL emulator. If you rename your ...\HyperLaunch\Settings\Global Emulators (Example).ini as ...\HyperLaunch\Settings\Global Emulators.ini before you launch HLHQ the first time, all the emulators are listed and you just need to set the emulator location. ;)

Thanks,

Ron

Thanks Ron. I did this from scratch and decided to do a guide because it can be very confusing to people wanting to try out HyperSpin. I will take some of your suggestions and update for those that are upgrading or need to in the future.

• 2 months later...

ouguitarman: Excellent fuck1ng tutorial. There are YouTube videos out there that are like an hour long (just part 1). Yours was pretty good. Still... I'll probably go back to Atomic FE. I don't think it fits well with my older laptop running MAME.

Whoever wrote "HyperSpin will be a very easy to setup..." on http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/HyperSpin needs to be quartered and drawn with the help of horses. Sorry for being a total a$$hole. I'm tired. I've been HypeSpinning my wheels trying to find the best tools to classify MAME roms. Everything pointed to HyperSpin, but there needs to be a huge disclaimer stating you need a beefy computer and that it's "not easy". Pretty counter MAME intuitive. I should have picked up on that earlier.

Again, sorry for the dickish comments. When I decide to make an investment in a laptop for MAME this might work. Again, nice work on the tutorial.

My advice is to check out Simply Austin(austin585) on YouTube. His main goal was to make it for beginners so it's noob friendly. He has a dozen or so that walk you through how to setup HS/HL, HyperSync, Mame, RetroArch and the cores(more to come). Check him out, they're really good tutorials.

Edit: I kind of feel stupid as I thought you were asking where to find a good guide for beginners. My Bad. But if someone is looking for videos, Austin is your man. By the way, great guide ouguitarman!

Archived