Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Here we go again my 2nd cab project

monkeychunkuk

Soo like many others ive got the cab building bug.

As the new years start I'm going to start my second project,this time I'm going to build a scaled down full size cab like this

8e9u9ypa.jpg

Im going go with custom Star Wars theme

And i hope to avoid the mistake's from my first build,like fitting better buttons and thicker Mdf so i can fit T-molding and instead of painting the wood I'm going to laminate it and apply vinyls to showing parts. Im also going to do a full shell with no trace of windows,oh and im fitting the reset buttons on the back i keep turning my machine off by mistake

As always i need advice,

Im always on the look out for cheap motherboard bundles and Hard drives

So please post your links

Where can i get hold of cheap non wide screen monitors in the uk?

Can anyone recommend a cheap amp? to use with a set of speakers i have.

Has anyone fitted one of these instead of ipac? Any problems?

e2edudy8.jpg

Link here

http://www.ultracabs.co.uk/usb-2-joystick--22-button-arcade-control-kit-71-p.asp

Anyone got any cool star wars themes

Going spare ; ) (Cough cough Mike)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Soo like many others ive got the cab building bug.

As the new years start I'm going to start my second project,this time I'm going to build a scaled down full size cab like this

And i hope to avoid the mistake's from my first build,like fitting better buttons and thicker Mdf so i can fit T-molding and instead of painting the wood I'm going to laminate it and apply vinyls to showing parts. Im also going to do a full shell with no trace of windows,oh and im fitting the reset buttons on the back i keep turning my machine off by mistake

QUOTE]

I'll be interested to see how this progresses. Its great your making comparisons to what improvements you will make since your last build, it will certainly help novice builders like myself... where possible state what the exact improvements are i.e instead of these buttons (link) i'm opting for these....like i said big help to someone like myself...

Anyway back to the build, so is this a sit down and play unit being scaled down monkey?

I'll be interested to see how this progresses. Its great your making comparisons to what improvements you will make since your last build, it will certainly help novice builders like myself... where possible state what the exact improvements are i.e instead of these buttons (link) i'm opting for these....like i said big help to someone like myself...

Anyway back to the build, so is this a sit down and play unit being scaled down monkey?

Kinda im just going to add a bottom half to the template i have for my bartop as you can see its sits on a little table i made, it will be nice not to have to fight for space in the new cab

nu6apa3a.jpg

Where can i get hold of cheap non wide screen monitors in the uk?

The last time I looked there was plenty of 4:3 monitors on ebay, are you going crt or lcd?

How about getting a touch screen and combining your HS build with a jukebox/media player, xbmc for example (my next project)...

how about a Lego Star Wars theme??? - give me some dimensions and I'll have a play..

Hmmm to be honest i wasnt keen on the idea but thinking about thats sounds great!!

The cp and marque are the same dimensions as the Retrocade,to save cash I'm going black on the side art!!

But i may change my mind ; )

Side art will be 19inch wide 48 inches tall

The only real difference is the front panel/kick board which will be 19inch wide 30inch tall

Would love to see anything you doodle ; )

Looking forward to this monkey...

I'd recommend getting a motherboard and cpu bundle from scan.co.UK. there service is excellent and you won't get cheaper other than second hand off eBay. It's not that dear getting something that can handle modern pc games, as I've said before in a previous thread steams big picture mode is excellent on our cabs. Mine boots into big picture mode and then from within there I can load hyperspin.

I might post up a vid soon to show.

Coupled with a wireless Xbox controller you get the best of both worlds. Also the wireless controller will work with them emulators that just don't play well on joysticks....

The cheap Chinese amps are fine..

Just been looking at scan mostly modern cpu motherboards so maybe eBay route...

A intel core 2 duo 6600 go cheap on eBay, more than enough for modern pc games coupled with a decent 2 year old gfx card would be cheap and powerful...I can play all the Lego games on full detail.

Cheers Rich ill check them out i think i may make this cab mame games only, my retro cade has a pc wheel that i update with modern games and has steam etc all installed, i think i want to make this cab a bare bones system completely shelled loading into hyperspin with a custom star wars intro and the load into one wheel , biring i know but i can save on Hard drive size and cpu parts

Looking forward to this! I've used that same encoder a few times now and it seems to do the job just fine, however it can be tricky mapping exit keys inside modules/ini files as opposed to the iPac.

Hmmm thank you for the feed back not sure i need the hassle of messing around with it when the ipac was easy to use

Im steering away from the ipac now and starting to go with something very similar to what you have there from Paradisearcadeshop called Xin Mo's. Found here. They are much quicker to hook up since all the wiring comes with, super easy and programming the buttons has been perfect also. I still like the ipac, but these little controller boards have been working awesome for me.

Has anyone fitted one of these instead of ipac? Any problems?

e2edudy8.jpg

Link here

http://www.ultracabs.co.uk/usb-2-joystick--22-button-arcade-control-kit-71-p.asp

Anyone got any cool star wars themes

Going spare ; ) (Cough cough Mike)

Make up a wire with a crimped hole connector on each end, remove a mounting screw from your motherboard and screw back down with one end of your wire under. Scratch some paint off the amp mounting point and clamp the other end under the amp mount screw, basically connecting the amp casing to ground...sry for the crap explanation..

Make up a wire with a crimped hole connector on each end, remove a mounting screw from your motherboard and screw back down with one end of your wire under. Scratch some paint off the amp mounting point and clamp the other end under the amp mount screw, basically connecting the amp casing to ground...sry for the crap explanation..

Great advice i had that problem with my retrocade,i wonder if the volume controls can be relocated to the outside of a cab ?

Archived