Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Optimus-Pin P2k Build (39/24/22)

viriiguy

Ohhhh... lookie what I got!!!!!!

8D8F96B5-0EDC-4349-AEAA-6275825AF5CB-26797-00001B1F7CBC9018.jpg

B8CA3D32-1C66-4E0A-B7B5-27BC3DE83AA2-26797-00001B1F8533AD35.jpg

EA3067A8-36BB-44AD-BDDF-9870916D260F-26797-00001B1F6C6DCA37.jpg

Mameman is simply AWESOME!!! This work is top notch! Just as soon as I do a little work, am going to get started on it!

Ignore my nasty floors and the beat up door :)

The previous owner had a dog locked in the garage and I have not replaced the doors yet. And the floors... Well It's a garage :D

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Currently assembling the Body of the Cab. So I tested my screen fits.

Mameman does PERFECT work!!!!

14854B06-C4A8-425D-A139-41BFDCBC72A8-27018-00001B69681A3EB2.jpg

Unfortunately I do not give perfect measurements :D

D47FC354-AA1F-47C8-B8B9-BCC9261C8B57-27018-00001B6961FE4C35.jpg

Whoopise!!! But it is no big deal. This is the DMD, which you cannot see on the P2K Cab. So I will center the LCD and fill the gaps with cardstock or something black.

Once the glue sets a little on the front, I will release the clamps, then glue and nail the rear and sides into place.

I am not quite sure how I am going to drill out the leg holes.. But I am thinking I will mount the leg hardware that goes into the cab and drill from the inside out.

I think the problem was I measure 5 times! 1 time too many ;)

The cabinet is all glued and nailed.

I have one side of the Head glued up and it is all assembled and clamped for the night.

Time to stop.

D2821BA9-75D4-4678-B020-6A218FB55C53-27222-00001B7513DEA3AC_zps3cf42aba.jpg

It looks like I will have to de-case the Westinghouse 39" to make it fit. I was hoping I wouldn't have to. Tomorrow I have to run to the lumber store and pick up some wood to use for the Playfield supports and then start working on figuring out where to place it.

Ahhh crap.... I JUST realized that if I had routed the inside of the cabinet, I could fit the 39" LED without de-casing.

Ah well. It is all glued together now.

I would think still potentially possible if you wanted. would not rule it out 100%.

Yea, it would technically be possible. But I have since decided that instead, I will just mount the TV, so I can easily get it out, to work on the electronics. I may chop up the TV case to make a bezel for it. Plus after looking at it some more, leaving it in the case just might keep me from getting it as far forward as I want. It looks like it may be just thick enough to interfere with the flipper buttons.

Do you happen to have measurements handy for the ideal angle of the PF in these P2K cabs?

Actually, I just measured it one more time.. Depending upon the angle it MAY be possible. I will do some searching around and draw it out and see.

Yea, it would technically be possible. But I have since decided that instead, I will just mount the TV, so I can easily get it out, to work on the electronics. I may chop up the TV case to make a bezel for it. Plus after looking at it some more, leaving it in the case just might keep me from getting it as far forward as I want. It looks like it may be just thick enough to interfere with the flipper buttons.

Do you happen to have measurements handy for the ideal angle of the PF in these P2K cabs?

Actually, I just measured it one more time.. Depending upon the angle it MAY be possible. I will do some searching around and draw it out and see.

mydefault is usually 3/4" down at the front from the top of the side. 4" down at that back of the screen.

A learning experience, this definitely is. Spray paint for a cabinet, not a good idea. This plywood can REALLY soak up the paint! So tomorrow, I will take Mameman's advice and buy some paint and a roller. I have spent the entire day painting and sanding and painting. And still it just sucks up the paint. So, instead of spending another $50 on Spray paint... I'll just buy a good can of black paint.

But, here is where it is at the moment... Well actually this picture was taken 2 coats ago, but it still looks much the same.

715876C4-C165-438A-A352-70F8013EC087-27857-00001CC7A30C1986_zps42ab0c13.jpg

Yup a good primer to seal the wood then your black. Sand between coats to remove any unwanted artifacts in the finish. Since you are going to adding decals over the top be sure to let each layer then the final coat to dry properly so the decals can get a good adhesion. Winter and a garage are never a great time for paint ;)

I finally drug a heater out to the garage :D SO at least the paint can dry. It will be at least a month or more, before I have the decals. So if it doesn't set in that amount of time... There are some serious issues :D

I used a high quality spray for the first 3 coats, with sanding in between, But I think a spray product is just too thin for this wood, as it just wants to soak it up.

So, tomorrow... More paints!

It was pretty cold today, so I did not get much done, besides spending money. I nailed some monitor supports in place and put some filler on the front edges and over the nail holes from the supports.

I also bought some tinted Kilz primer and some Velspar Gloss Black paint. Tomorrow I will sand and probably put a coat of primer on.

Here are the monitor supports. They are nothing fancy and do not look level in the picture, but they are. The back one is angled to match the monitor case, this will hold it in place. The back of the monitor is a funky shape, so it was had to find places for supports.

0B2AE9EF-68F9-4F8A-815A-1C22A3E3AF37-28665-00001D746DCD622B_zps0fabe305.jpg

I will add some L Brackets under the oak boards to better anchor them to the cab.

And, Javier sent me another update! These are the Autobots for the left side of the cab!

pencils_auto_35_zps74e311b3.jpg

Thanks man!

Now hopefully I can get my paint job smooth enough that the artwork looks smooth and perfect on the cab!!

I have been working on it all day today. I put on two thick coats of Kilz and I am now in the process of wet sanding it with 220.

I have MOST of the wood grain covered up.. But there are still some small lines visable. Feels pretty smooth to the touch now though.

0EA2E107-7CF4-4EE7-AB7A-A350F53DDCA2-29130-00001DF7BBFDF4E4_zps47b0b1ed.jpg

I will probably go ahead and put a coat of the Gloss Black on after I finish sanding the head. Then try to get the last of the lines out of the black before a final coat. However, I know that the vinyl usually used for printing arcade graphics is a little forgiving, so long as the surface is flat and mostly smooth. I assume Lucian's stuff is too.

Well, the cab has a few more coats of black on it now, It still needs a little bit of work, but I am almost there. I have a couple of spots on the body that need some work, but the rest is just about where I need it to be. I got my coin door today, but I won't be using it. It is in a lot worse shape than the auction showed. So instead I will strip it for parts. Always good to have extra coin mechs. So I will be using my Import door for now. It is in great shape, just won't accept any currency that I have.

I also got my T-Molding in, 10 foot of Red and 10 foot of Purple :) My Boss 4 channel 400W amp came in. I wanted to work on trying to figure out how to hook it up, but my 12W PS is not in yet. Oh yea and my new Stern lock bar and receiver came in today also!

This weekend is a long weekend for me, Yay President's Day!!! So I am hoping to start getting it assembled. I have no idea when I will have the 12V Power supply. So that is going to hold me back on a few details. The delivery estimate on it is anytime between Feb 8th and March 15th.

I also ordered a couple of sheets of glass today from a local place. 1 for Optimus-Pin and one for our Addams Family.

This is what the cab looked like yesterday afternoon after HEAVY sanding...

55CDD171-43D8-438A-869F-6C4701A8573D-1330-000000AA784C0693_zps497ebeac.jpg

Currently it is black again.

*Edit*

Well dang it, I was SURE I had leg brackets, but can't find them.. So I ordered a new set.

Mameman, or any of the other P2k guys.. Can you give me measurements for the the hole, front and back for the leg bolts? I am trying to figure out where they need to be drilled, but info on these guys is sparse.

Thanks!

Archived