Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Driving Cabinet build

Fursphere

Hey there

Started a new cabinet last weekend. I was so inspired by gbeef's Outrun project, that I decided to build my own. I didn't have any plans to go off of, and very little information about what the dimensions of the thing are, so I traced out a picture of gbeef's, then used so mathematics to get a rough idea of the rest.

Here is how far I got last weekend... Hoping to finish up the base construction today, and start working on the top section. I just picked up a 32" LCD screen last night since Best Buy had one I liked on sale.

post-25808-142870584259_thumb.jpg

More to follow...

**Running Total of Costs - 6/15/2013**

2.5x 4x8 Sheets of 3/4" cabinet grade plywood - $90 (Home Depot, have a half sheet left over.... bartop maybe?)

4x 2.5" casters - $30 (Home Depot)

32" LG 1080p 60hz LCD - $330 (Best Buy)

Seat - $130 (ebay)

Logitech G27 - $200 (amazon on sale)

Daytona arcade dash - $50 shipped (ebay)

Misc nuts and bolts - $15 (lowes, home depot)

Couple of tools for better finding angles - $10

5.1 Logitech Speakers - Donated from a friend

Sound Ordnance 2x100waat amp $80

Bondo Filler - $10 (lowes)

Aura Bass Shaker - $50

--------------------

~$1000 so far

Added v1 of the plans for the cabinet.

Bunch of PNG files and a Google Sketchup 8 drawing.

mycab.zip

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking good and can't wait to see it finished so I can tackle a sit down myself.

Yeah I always say that biscuits are better than screws and dowels, and a jointer is a must for this type of stuff. Most of my edge joining I use one of my router tables with the right bit, its a lot faster. For non edge joining, I use the biscuit Joiner.

I'm having a heck of a time selecting a seat. I've called a few dismantling yards and some of them seem to think their seats are dipped in gold - but I'm not even sure what make/model I'd want one out of.

Then there are the "generic" sport seats. Still exploring that option.

I picked up my set of actual racing seats for $300 from ebay. A little pricey but they are very comfortable and come with the sliding mounts. Easy to install, just drill a few holes in your base.

These are the ones I WISH I would have bought.. only in Red/Black..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Black-Blue-JDM-Turino-Sport-Racing-Bucket-Seats-6-PT-Belts-Camlock-Strap-Pair-/190785632277?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6bb5b815&vxp=mtr

Im not exactly sure if this set comes with the sliders, I think they do though. In the description it says you have to buy the bracket according to what vehicle you have, but those are just the brackets that mount from your car to the slider mounts. Mine came with slider mounts and no brackets, but I just bolted the slider mounts to the metal base of my cabinet and they work great.

Here are the ones I got..only in black.. they have the sliders on the bottom..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-BLUE-CARBON-RACING-SEATS-RECLINABLE-ALL-HONDA-NEW-/330759774170?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d02d19fda&vxp=mtr

I don't have an arcade base - so I'll have to fabricate something. Shouldn't be an issue, just something else to build. :)

I think I really need to get the seat loosely in place before I build out the top section - so I can get the screen height correct.

Yeah I got lucky and stole the base off of my Daytona USA cabs, my racer cabs were from a game called wing wars, same cab as Daytona but with taller bases. So for sure get your seats before you build the base.

I don't have an arcade base - so I'll have to fabricate something. Shouldn't be an issue, just something else to build. :)

I think I really need to get the seat loosely in place before I build out the top section - so I can get the screen height correct.

Ok, I ordered the second one. :) Should have it next week.

I scored a Daytona dash board too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180830012333;jsessionid=3B58F953B805853BA06AA1C1D7824A55?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D180830012333%26_rdc%3D1

I should update the 1st post with a running tally of what this thing cost to build.

Nice score on the Daytona dash. $800, is not too bad, all things considered. It looks like the only big thing left is the computer?

Which I should have covered already. I've got a Core2Duo 3ghz, 4 GB Ram and an 8800gt video card to get started with. Might have to buy a hard drive for it, not sure yet. Video card will need to be upgraded down the road, but it'll be enough for now.

I need some sort of sound system too. Still working on that. I think I spent about $1,000 on my MAME cabinet when it was all said and done. And still cheaper than my pinball machines...

You should get an old cheap in dash car radio and install it for music and extra effect! lol

My friends at work are telling me to get a CB radio for it. :)

Which I should have covered already. I've got a Core2Duo 3ghz, GB Ram and an 8800gt video card to get started with. Might have to buy a hard drive for it, not sure yet. Video card will need to be upgraded down the road, but it'll be enough for now.

I need some sort of sound system too. Still working on that. I think I spent about $1,000 on my MAME cabinet when it was all said and done. And still cheaper than my pinball machines...

Nice, that computer should be able to handle what you need. Might struggle with Model 2 and 3 though, but should be rectified after you upgrade the card. For sound maybe a cheap PC 2.1 system? I got a Logitech system for my MAME cab for like $20 new, and it sounds more than good enough for these old games. Oh yeah, pinball is out of control, both real and virtual. I'm already at $3k for my virtual pin and I don't even have the computer yet (I pretty much have everything else).

I had six real pinballs, down to four now. I've seriously considered building a virtual more than a dozen times - but its just *NOT* the same. :) Fun, but not real enough.

(Black Hole, Volcano, Super Mario Bros, and Stargate if you're curious)

*edit*

Does Model 2 and Model 3 emulators actually leverage the GPU for rendering? Or is it all emulated rendering on the CPU? Thats usually what causes slowdowns with these kinds of things.

My "main" PC is an i5 3750k with a 460gtx GPU - so if needed, I can "borrow" it for awhile. :P

Archived