Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

STAR WARS: Pinball Unleashed - 46"/32"/DMD Widebody Build

scottpe

nice!

Thanks!

Awesome job on the cab!! I can't see any of your build pics? They all have a photo bucket thing in each one. Am i the only one who sees this??

Sorry about that folks. Apparently I hit the bandwidth limit on my account. I believe it resets tomorrow, at which point the pics should start working again.

price?

I've intentionally avoided adding up exactly what I spent, LOL. But a conservative guesstimate would be around $4K...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
must be one of these budget builds i keep hearing about :P looking good though

Hah, thanks! Yeah, every time I start to cringe thinking about what I spent I just pop over to the arcadesrfun page and look at what they're charging for a machine that's not as nice. I don't fault them for it either; after building this, I know EXACTLY why they charge what they do...

• 1 month later...

i only get that on mine when i initially power up the cab when the screens are looking for a signal.. the only other time they appear on mine is if i'm playing around apps that change the screen resolutions.

for reference in windows my playfield is set for 1920x1080 and backglass is set for 1280 x 1024 (VP, HP and hyperspin are also set the same)

Mine is working the same as mikekim's; those messages only display when I'm first booting...

Also, is your playfield in 'game' mode? When displaying those status messages, mine says "Game Mode" right below the resolution information. I'm not implying that will have any effect on your current issue, but you'll want to make sure it's set to that mode so that any image processing gets disabled to prevent possible display lag while playing.

• 3 weeks later...

@Pinball999 - Sorry, haven't had a chance to mess around with the layback. Will try to do that at some point.

@gamefixer - Thanks for the compliment! I'm surprised that your Samsung would be 'washed out.' I assume you've already tried calibrating it? Btw, looks like we live in the same neck of the woods! ;)

• 1 month later...

Im pretty new to Pincab and I have trolled alot of pages, photos and designs and yet i still come back to this one, probably because the year after I was born Star Wars was released so i grew up with it. Recently I shared it with my son Flynn, whose 4 almost 5. I only showed him the original 3 as the newer ones are just a tad bit too much for him i think.

Anyway we have an Mame machine running and I want to add this pinball machine in with our toys.

My question is did this design ever get released with cabinet design measurements and artwork available to download? I know it may be stealing someones work, but i honestly look at this as complimenting the build by wanting it for myself and my son.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

All in all, great work im grateful you have shared it with us.

My question is did this design ever get released with cabinet design measurements and artwork available to download? I know it may be stealing someones work, but i honestly look at this as complimenting the build by wanting it for myself and my son.

Can't speak to the artwork, its also usually a very personal thing so not often shared or reproduced. The dimensions/plans however per the first post of this great thread are the ones that are available via my dr who thread or for free on my website.

Such a nice incredible build. There's only one thing that would annoy me - those lights in the back of the body above the screen. It's like a double flash because it's reflecting off the TV glass. I'd probably try to "curb" that by using a full LCD anti glare tint solution for the TV. nushield.com has such an item for $85ish. I was going to order a few for my pinball machines.

"Our antiglare film would have a 3/16" wide low tack adhesive strip around the film perimeter. It is quite durable and should hold up to the abuse pin ball machines get. It will minimize reflections and reduce glare."

Your pin is awesome. I'm a victim of the 70's and 80's - love any nostalgia theme!

Could someone tell me what kind of power supply do I need for those contactors? I know theyre 24VDC but how many ampers do i need per one? Does it even matter?

Cheers

if you are looking to use Zebs virtual output kit then any pc power supply over 350w will work. if you are not using the output kit (i.e. the relay route or the original booster boards) then you will need something like PSU 24V 8.4A

mike

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

- PC Setup

[*]Windows XP 32 bit Optimized Nlite Version

[*]AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core 3.4Ghz CPU

[*]Cooler Master Hyper-212 CPU Cooler

[*]Asus M4A785TD-M EVO Motherboard

[*]4GB G.SKILL DDR3 1600 RAM (2x 2GB sticks)

[*]Asus GTX560 OC Video Card

[*]Samsung 840 series 120GB SSD

[*]Corsair CX600M 600W Modular Power Supply

Very nice build.

Did you still have this pc setup?

Or did you have to change some stuff?

Are all the tables working fine, even future pinball tables?

I'm starting with my mini Pinball 2000, but not yet decided about the pc setup.

Thanks and Greetings

• 4 weeks later...
Very nice build.

Did you still have this pc setup?

Or did you have to change some stuff?

Are all the tables working fine, even future pinball tables?

Hi Superfrog. Thanks for the compliment! Sorry for the slow reply. Yes, I still have this PC. It works very well overall. It works flawlessly with VP, but I do occasionally get slight slowdowns in FP with the quality settings maxed out when things get crazy (multiball). I have to admit, if I was to do it again, I would probably just go ahead and get a good Core i5 based system as it would be more future-proof. I will probably end up upgrading the CPU on this machine in the future. I went with the AMD configuration because I already had a brand new motherboard for it sitting on my shelf.

Wow-You did an amazing job on this cabinet. I am interested in hearing more about the Zebulon controller.

Thank you! The LEDWiz (used to drive the various toys) has a 500ma per output and 2W per chip power limit. All of the lights and force feedback toys require significantly more power than that. His boards provide a more plug-and-play solution that works in tandem with the LEDWiz to get all of the correct voltages from a standard computer ATX power supply to all of the various components, in a nice, relatively compact package. You can find the thread for his latest version of the board here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?29304-New-Board-Design&highlight=booster+board

Thanks guys!

Russ, thanks again to you for your great invention (PinDMD) which makes some of the magic happen. :)

And Chris, your pin was a big inspiration for me. Thank you for being among the first to blaze these trails. :beer:

You and Chris are my inspiration to finishing my MAME Control Panel and get rolling on my 1978 Williams Widebody Contact Project.

Archived