Welcome Guest!

Join us now to get access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, and so, so much more. It's also quick and totally free, so what are you waiting for?

Sign in to follow this  
pocketpal

HyperPin as Shell in Windows 7

I have scoured the forums here and at VPforums to no avail. I want to run HyperPin as my shell replacement in Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (on an SSD). I have tried everything I can find and everything I can think of on my own to get it to work, but I always end up with the same result: nothing but a black screen with an arrow mouse pointer in the center. I have added a "Shell" entry to the WinLogon section under the CURRENT_USER part in the registry, and quintuple-checked that my shell path for HyperPin (F:\HyperPin\HyperPin.exe) was correct, and I have disabled both UAC and the "GUI boot" option in MSCONFIG to hide unsavory Windows elements, so the black screen is expected as my background. Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL and choosing the Task Manager, I see no programs (at all) or processes for HyperPin running. Therefore, my theory is that HyperPin is being launched as my shell, but is crashing immediately for some reason. I can choose "Run" from the File menu of Task Manager and run HyperPin from there with no troubles, and it works just fine in Explorer (normal windows).

I spent hours on this yesterday, and it has me completely flummoxed. Please help!

Try HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windowsNT\CurrentVersion\winlogin

there should be a shell in there for explorer.exe

Good idea, but I did try that, and unfortunately got the same result, except with the side effect where running explorer.exe from the Task Manager only opens up the Computer file manager window instead of the familiar desktop & taskbar interface.

I'm doing this today too

did you add a String to winlogon section on the right, not a new subfolder key?

had trouble getting mine to work at first, but I had put in the wrong path, all good now

good luck!

I found this thread invaluable http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,113896.0.html

Thanks! I took a look at that, but I'm already doing the part that I'm having trouble with the way in which they say it should work. I've got a few more ideas I'm going to try out tonight.

you might try putting the executable on the C drive not sure if you can shell from anywhere but the boot drive:dontknow:

Well, F: is my boot drive now since I installed my SSD and switched it to be the primary... active... system... whatever disk. One of the things I DID try last night, however, was installing a fresh copy of HyperPin onto the old C: mechanical hard disk and shelling to that instead. Still no go, though. :(

Among the other things I tried was:

- Setting compatibility mode for all executables in the HyperPin directory to XP SP3 and enabling "Run as administrator"

- Installing VLC media player in case there was a problem with the codec from Media Player Classic that I had installed prior

- Disabled videos in HyperPin all together

- Shelling to a batch file that changes working directory to the HyperPin folder and then starts HyperPin from there

I'm really just grasping at straws now. The best theory I can come up with is that there is some process/service/whatever required for HyperPin to function that isn't quite loaded yet when HyperPin attempts to execute as the shell, but then IS there when I press the 3-finger salute, bring up Task Manager, and launch it manually from there. Does anyone have any idea what that might be?

The best theory I can come up with is that there is some process/service/whatever required for HyperPin to function that isn't quite loaded yet when HyperPin attempts to execute as the shell, but then IS there when I press the 3-finger salute, bring up Task Manager, and launch it manually from there. Does anyone have any idea what that might be?

I should mention, though, that two nights ago I wrote an AutoHotKey script that waited a number of seconds before launching HyperPin, which I compiled into an EXE and entered as my shell, which obviously didn't help. So there's that.

instead of shelling you can kill explorer with start up bat from hyperpin and open explorer with exit bat from hyperpin - i think somebody posted that it works

effect should be the same windows without explorer and taskbar while you play in hyperpin

instead of shelling you can kill explorer with start up bat from hyperpin and open explorer with exit bat from hyperpin - i think somebody posted that it works

effect should be the same windows without explorer and taskbar while you play in hyperpin

Thanks, Blur! I'll give that a shot and see if it will work for me. I really don't want any notification balloons, anti-virus messages, flash update windows, etc. popping up whatsoever during the normal course of use. I have my arcade cabinet shelling to MALA in XP, which works perfectly I might add, but as soon as I open Explorer, I get flooded with all that notification cruft that I want to keep from ruining the pinball experience.

Edited by pocketpal
slight correction

Here are a couple more options I just found which I also hope to try at my next opportunity:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=How-to:Make_Windows_boot_directly_to_XBMC_%28as_a_shell%29

Of course the page is about XBMC, but the basics should be applicable to any program one might wish to use as a shell. I actually already have some experience using EventGhost to allow the use of my ATi RemoteWonder II remote control with none other than XBMC! It seems like it would be seriously overqualified for simply shelling to another program, so I'll likely try the SilentLaunch method first, but I AM getting desperate....

Just in case anyone else has this problem, I had this issue today while trying to setup HyperPin as a shell on Win 7 x64.

I think the problem is that HyperPin won't start unless the working directory is set to your HyperPin directory.

The simple solution I came up with was creating a .bat file that chdir's to HyperPin directory then runs the .exe

Here's my .bat file:

@echo off

C:

chdir C:\hyperpin

C:\hyperpin\HyperPin.exe

Tried it tonight and it seems to work without a hitch, now I can go to bed happy ;)