Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Mini MVS

mikekim

I never had good luck with the gonbes and the SLG3000. It created some strange banding. So, no hyperspin? Hahaha!

BTW, you can't call it a MVS cause those were only for 2, 4 and 6 slot cabs... :)

Also, I see you have 2 speakers... If you want stereo sound you can pick line level stereo off the PCB but you'll have to send it to an external amp.

Looks good!

Edit... oops I see you have an amp already... I am not understanding the need for a mono amp... You may as well have just used the amp built in the PCB, and run your speakers in parallel, if you were going to do mono. BTW I saw you complaining about the speakers.... If I was going to build another bartop I'd use a pair of Visaton FRS8 or FRS7. They are small 3.3" and 2.5" respectively, and they sound good, but more importantly they also sell corresponding speaker grills ;)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I never had good luck with the gonbes and the SLG3000. It created some strange banding.

if i run at 640 x480 the scanlines are authentic, so at the moment its not an issue.

So, no hyperspin? Hahaha!

nope - i already have a hyperspin machine, this baby is a pure arcade machine running Neo Geo MVS carts

BTW, you can't call it a MVS cause those were only for 2, 4 and 6 slot cabs... :)

Why not?? the MV-1B board is only designed to take MVS carts.. and as i'll be running a 138 in one Cart - it will be technically a multi video system :P

Also, I see you have 2 speakers... If you want stereo sound you can pick line level stereo off the PCB but you'll have to send it to an external amp.

Looks good!

Edit... oops I see you have an amp already... I am not understanding the need for a mono amp... You may as well have just used the amp built in the PCB, and run your speakers in parallel, if you were going to do mono. BTW I saw you complaining about the speakers.... If I was going to build another bartop I'd use a pair of Visaton FRS8 or FRS7. They are small 3.3" and 2.5" respectively, and they sound good, but more importantly they also sell corresponding speaker grills ;)

didn't know about the on-board audio, really should read the manuals sometimes... will probably ditch the amp, after all it only cost me £6... as for speakers I will be using 2x Cambridge Audio Minx Min10's (in Parallel) that i have spare from my pinball machine.

20120921194500.jpg

I got these cheap from Richersounds.com a while back, as they where end of life (replaced by a newer model - the Min11) £30 each

Richie,

yes you do need a motherboard, as the 138 in 1 is an MVS cart.

However, you could probably pickup a 311-in-1 Blue Elf 2009 V2.0 or The Transformers Ultimate Edition 2011 302-In-1 (a faster loading version of the Blue Elf). these both plug straight into a standard Jamma Harness and have most of the Neo Geo games installed (as well as loads of others)

if i run at 640 x480 the scanlines are authentic, so at the moment its not an issue.

Yea the problem is how your monitor handles upscaling the 640x480 to its native 1024x768(or whatever resolution it is) If it does bicubic resizing you may be ok, but if it does bilinear resizing it would look something like this:

The original 640x480 scan lines:

640sl.jpg

then upscaled bilinearly to 1024x768:

1024sl.jpg

nope - i already have a hyperspin machine, this baby is a pure arcade machine running Neo Geo MVS carts

I know, but this is the "Hyperspin" forums! :)

Why not?? the MV-1B board is only designed to take MVS carts.. and as i'll be running a 138 in one Cart - it will be technically a multi video system :P

I was just messing with you! But you notice that all the 1 slot arcade machines dont say MVS anywhere! :P

didn't know about the on-board audio, really should read the manuals sometimes... will probably ditch the amp, after all it only cost me £6... as for speakers I will be using 2x Cambridge Audio Minx Min10's (in Parallel) that i have spare from my pinball machine.

20120921194500.jpg

I got these cheap from Richersounds.com a while back, as they where end of life (replaced by a newer model - the Min11) £30 each

Are those desktop speakers? if they are be careful running them on the MV1B PCB... A lot of times they use 2-ohm speakers in those and you could end up blowing the speakers if you run them too loud. I believe the amp on the MV1B are rated at 8-ohms.

Are those desktop speakers? if they are be careful running them on the MV1B PCB... A lot of times they use 2-ohm speakers in those and you could end up blowing the speakers if you run them too loud. I believe the amp on the MV1B are rated at 8-ohms.

the Cambridge Audio Minx Min10's are satellite speakers that are rated for 8-ohms. i have used them in many A/V installations as they sound fantastic for their size Spec Sheet (PDF)

Update

only got a couple of hours work done today..

Managed to fit the 15" screen though - had to de-case it, as their was no space for the MV-1B to fit other wise. didn't realize how little space there is inside this cab..

20130331171946.jpg

even after de-casing there is only a couple of mm gap between the cart and the back of the screen.

20130331171928.jpg

one major tip

measure twice and cut (or order in this case) once... The Bronze polycarbonate screen i ordered is 15mm too short.. oh well another £4.00 down the drain..:banghead:

picked up the artwork this morning..

currently in the process of allowing it to uncurl - will post pics of the sides and cp artwork later on.

applied the marquee to the lexan - quick test fit on the cab

20130406123816.jpg

looking good so far!!

also picked up the correct size polycarbonate yesterday, so will now be able to proceed with fitting the screen, and then painting, prior to artwork application

edit:

Polycarbonate screen fitted

20130406140220.jpg

polycarbonate is 290x stronger than glass and half the weight. (perspex is only 8x stronger than normal glass)

so essentially its the equivalent of toughened glass. its mainly used in greenhouses and conservatories.

https://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/cut-to-size-clear-polycarbonate-p-207.html

cost is between £4-6 depending on what size sheet you want for your machine front. they do clear or Bronze tinted.

they also sell perspex at reasonable prices. delivery is 1-3 days depending and the items arrive in perfect condition.

pretty hard to find a fault really.

polycarbonate is 290x stronger than glass and half the weight. (perspex is only 8x stronger than normal glass)

so essentially its the equivalent of toughened glass. its mainly used in greenhouses and conservatories.

https://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/cut-to-size-clear-polycarbonate-p-207.html

cost is between £4-6 depending on what size sheet you want for your machine front. they do clear or Bronze tinted.

they also sell perspex at reasonable prices. delivery is 1-3 days depending and the items arrive in perfect condition.

pretty hard to find a fault really.

NOW you tell me about them! what thickness did you get?

Looks great mike..

Whats the poly's scratch resistiveness like...

It's better than perspex, still not as good as glass in that respect

NOW you tell me about them! what thickness did you get?

Used 3mm for the screen

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Archived