Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Starting my first arcade cabinet (kind of vewlix style)

ripleyxlr8

Hi everybody,

I'm starting my new project and i will post here my ongoing work, using your advice to improve my design.

it's an arcade cabinet for 2 player based on a kind of vewlix style that will fit a 32" flat screen. The idea is to integrate my gaming PC inside and play retro and current game.

It will be slighty higher than the vewlix in order to be used either standing or on a high chair.

The control panel will be removable to be able to switch from arcade style to mouse / keyboard game style.

You can find attached to this message the draft of the control panel layout.

Here is a first 3D render of the cabinet.

Ip505sD.jpg

NEXT STEP : Inside design and measurement checking in order to integrate the computer and the graphice, the RAID array, the double coin door, the PSU and the cooling systemand make it easyli accessible....

Support Plexyglass V4.PDF

Good luck. There are a couple Viewlix builds here and on arcadecontrols.com you should check out. You might be able to find the blueprints already done so you aren't re-inventing the wheel for no reason.

Also, why is the perspective in your render wrong?

You have a good view for the perpective... In fact it a trimetric view. That's my default view in solidwork.

In fact I will finish the design myself. I love the creation as much of the building ;-)

I'm currently working on the control panel... It is not an Easy part...

R

Looks like you're keeping it to an 8 button Japanese layout. Nice.

Maybe you've already seen this, but this gives you the detailed measurements for the different button/joystick layouts.

http://www.slagcoin.com/joystick/layout.html

Yes this is a 8 buttons japanese layout! i took it from slagcoin, it is seems very ergonomic to me, but i will test it on cardboard before building it.

Ok i just ordered some parts from http://www.arcadeworlduk.com/.

Taking into account your comments i choose 2 ultrastick 360 (il will mod them to be able to light them), a smaller door (but with double entry), 1 spinner and one trackball. I have made some cardboard test with the button layout, it seems fine to me so i'm keeping it with the 8 buttons (ultralux RGB).

- The ultrasticks seems a good compromise to conserve a low number of item on the control panel but i guess i will miss the "click" even if i'm not a purist.

- The big door i had on the previous drawing was nice (may be too big for HazzardActual), i loved the fact to have a "working" arcade machine with a real coin mecanism. But i had a problem to fit the ATX motherboard inside the case with the CG and the disipator. So i order single level coin door, and i will make myself a small coin receiver.

- I don't know if i will use the spinner (for the moment i'm not playing any games with enabled spinner - I you had example, i will try), but I will add it on the control panel.

For your information i'm putting bellow my order (it is not the cheapest price on the web but i'm in France and the delivery cost are very high on the cheapest website....)

Cart Items SKU Qty Item Price Item Total Horizontal Twin Entry Coin Door With 2 x Coin Mechs 
(Denomination: EU 50 Cent Coin)   1 £64.99 GBP £64.99 GBP I-PAC Ultimate I/O Interface 
(Wiring Harness: 1 & 2 Player Wiring Harness, Player 3 & 4 Connection Pack: No, 9 LED Single Colour Connection Pack: No)   1 £62.99 GBP £62.99 GBP SpinTrak Arcade Spinner 
(Connection Type: For USB, Handle: Red/Silver Large, Flyweight: Small)   1 £57.99 GBP £57.99 GBP Ultralux RGB Illuminated Arcade Button 
(Style: Chrome, Microswitch: D44X Cherry - 4.8mm)   16 £4.79 GBP £76.64 GBP UltraStik 360 Ball Top Joystick 
(Colour: Black, Restrictor: Square & Round Gates, Button Harness: Yes)   2 £51.97 GBP £103.94 GBP UTrak Arcade Trackball 
(Colour: Cue Ball White)   1 £59.99 GBP £59.99 GBP UTrak RGB LED Illumination Kit   1 £18.99 GBP £18.99 GBP Subtotal: £445.53 GBP Coupon Code (AWUK10): -£44.58 GBP Shipping: £45.00 GBP VAT: £89.19 GBP Grand Total: £535.14 GBP

I'm currently in hollydays so i will not be able to play with theses parts before I came back to France.

NEXT : to validate the panel control layout with the real products.

See you

Richard

• 1 year later...

I had some issues with the position of the buttons and joystick. I wanted them to be symetrical on both side of the panel and lower but it was not confortable. So I ended up with a non symetrical positionning.

The second issu was during the drilling of the hole. For the first drills I put nothing under the drill and when the bit came trough the panel it rip off a big thickness of wood..... I will need to clean up this mess with the router.

Next step is using the router to clean my drilling mess and to adapt joystick and trackball.

18406349_10154991384553859_625381897_o.j

18426777_10154994346333859_556795813_o.j

• 1 month later...

If you had tear out from drilling. Just glue the chunk that came out back on. If you clamp it well while the glue dries it may not even be noticeable afterwards. Wood is very forgiving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Sorry to disappoint you but I was planning to mount the monitor flush just behind the bezel. But I guess your solution will look very nice. Do you have any example to show?

Thanks

Envoyé de mon SM-G935F en utilisant Tapatalk

Most standard, real arcade machines have the monitor sitting 1-1/2" to 3" behind the glass. So building a normal cab with the monitor flush instead of recessed can make it a bit obvious that they aren't real arcade machines.

However I just looked at some Viewlix pics and it seems that those actually are built with the monitor glass flush with the bezel, so carry on with your plans

Looking great! I do have a few questions how wide is your monitor and how wide is your control panel, also how did you mount your joysticks? From underneath or above if above how did you hide the screws?

Im building a vewlix as well i have everything except the monitor as i cannot decide on the width :(

5 hours ago, wallmachine said:

Looking great! I do have a few questions how wide is your monitor and how wide is your control panel, also how did you mount your joysticks? From underneath or above if above how did you hide the screws?

Im building a vewlix as well i have everything except the monitor as i cannot decide on the width :(

The control panel is 80 cm wide and the screen is a 32 inches. Honestly, since I did not try to play, i'm afraid the screen is a little bit too wide for the control panel distance.

Everything is mounted from underneath with threaded insert. My control panel thickness is 19mm and i recess 10mm at the position of the joysticks. I used theaded insert to be able to lock the screws.

Good luck with your build.

Just now, ripleyxlr8 said:

The control panel is 80 cm wide and the screen is a 32 inches. Honestly, since I did not try to play, i'm afraid the screen is a little bit too wide for the control panel distance.

Everything is mounted from underneath with threaded insert. My control panel thickness is 19mm and i recess 10mm at the position of the joysticks. I used theaded insert to be able to lock the screws.

Good luck with your build.

thank you! will suss it out more don't know what monitor to buy what did you go with?

i look forward to seeing more updates!

On 24/07/2017 at 4:58 PM, wallmachine said:

thank you! will suss it out more don't know what monitor to buy what did you go with?

i look forward to seeing more updates!

I've taken one of the cheapest 32" full HD screen, a Samsung S32F351H, I've got it for 210€.

One drawback of the screen is the hinge feet that can't be removed without removing the screen frame....

Quick follow-up

Tonight I've got the marquise and the top cover glued to the frame :

mini_25556320170725201716.jpg

mini_52438220170725201521.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived