Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Commodore Amiga Nvidia Shield TV

Luvarim

1 hour ago, agent47 said:

The issue is that it's not open source and apparently using GPL licensed code from multiple open source emulators which violates the license of those projects. They're basically taking code from other devs and exploiting it for their own profits. So if they are indeed violating the licenses they seem to be, nobody should give them a dime or support this kind of behavior because it harms the emu community as a whole and only benefits them.

Well that makes more sense.... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys! Still waiting on Amiberry for Android, it's still not even finalised for the RPI yet. So whilst I've been waiting, I tweaked the theme for the Amiga a bit BUT more importantly...I've settled on a workaround for the games that aren't loading from the Hyperspin wheel.

Just wanted to share the latest info from the Amiberry guy's Facebook page. It was suggested I do a post with more info to help guys duplicate my setup. However Sod's law dictates as soon as I do that Amiberry will release, hopefully the Android port follows the RPI soon after. It also looks like the .uae files I have aren't going to be too much help from the look of things, at best they will need "refreshing". I will transition to this emulator though once it's out and do my best to get everyone else up and running too.

"Latest updates from the "dev" version: (as of 28/12/2017)
The below is a summary of the latest changes since the last post, earlier this month. For the full list of changes, you can always check the commits in the Github repository...

- Brought back the Screen Width/Height setting, in the Display panel
- Brought back the Vertical offset setting, in the Display panel
- Changed font and font size in the GUI (hope you like it!)
- Lots of GUI layout cleanup and bugfixes!
- Fixed default resolution for CD32 emulation (no more cut-off)
- Fixed buffer overflow related crashes
- Fixed help text in GUI not fitting in the screen
- Removed obsolete "Custom Controls" options, they are now replaced with full controller mapping (including support for RetroArch config files!)
- Code cleanup and modernization in many places
- Added more error handling for various scenarios
- More speed improvements across the board
- Added an About panel with information regarding version and contributors
- SDL2 speed improvements

Note: several options in the config have changed name, to harmonize them better. Some older configs might not work correctly and will need re-saving or cleanup! Users of UAE Config Maker need not worry, as that is updated in parallel with Amiberry and gets all the latest changes"

"This is still a "dev" version, in other words not stable enough for a release. As such, it still has to be built from source currently. When we reach a stable enough state, it will be pushed out to RetroPie among other distros... Not much more to do currently, so it should be soon!"

Another video! Ransom is doing a great job converting the WHDLoad games to HDF, that really does seem to be the way forward. Whilst I wait on Amiberry for Android, I'd like to make video snaps to fill in the blanks I have for some games. Plus I show "fixing" a game that is running faaaar too fast.

Cool stuff Hono,

I'm thinking out loud here but it seems we(you) are basically done now ironing out the methods.

Its now a case of trunking through the 1000's of games and checking compatibility.

To make this whole adventure the best it can be for everyone that ever comes apon it, do you thing there is any milage in pulling all the info into a "compatibility" spreadsheet that spans all parties

Ransoms games, uae4arm, Amiberry, android, pi, hdf, adf, whdload, video snap, screenshot, wheel art, uae files and config maker.

Is there any compat list floating about already?

I love google sheets and think it would serve everyone very well at providing extra detail and a visual reference on what needs to be worked on.

It would take a little time away from doing the work but allow everyone to work independantly without doing the same things over and over.

Thoughts welcome

Im off to see what info is out there from Amiberry

There's no more info on Amiberry than what I have already posted earlier in the thread. I'm no expert, I'm just trying to document my findings as I muddle along. I really should get to know the uae config file maker better to be honest.

I'm going to crack on with making the video snaps, as this should benefit all the communities. So my game testing is going to be limited to those games missing previews for now. Although I can say that "Jamespond3AGA" I've yet to get working in any of it's versions.

I can't thank Ransom enough for all his efforts. He mentioned March as a date he might look to do more HDF's but don't hold me to it. I think I'd like to have a complete HDF set for WHDLoad before I make changes to my UAE files. Many of the HDF's Ransom makes I don't really need, CD32 for example. I'm just going to be patient and let him do his thing.

Altering my UAE files seems futile as I know Amiberry won't like them BUT it will be compatible with the UAE config file maker. You already know how fussy UAE4ARM is over the names of UAE files for launch intent. I'm reasonably happy with this setup as it stands, I know how to "fix" problem games that occasionally show up when myself or friends try to play them. I'll make a more dedicated effort for Amiga & CD32 when Amiberry is out.

Fair enough

I will probably crack on with a sheet when I get a chance. I know your probably not that fussed but my memory is all over the place so maybe thats why I need some notes.

I will post it hear and see if anyone fancies working on little bits to make the task more managable

My success rate with Workbench and it's Bootloader for WHDLoad is incredibly high. It's just not the most convenient way to launch the games. I still think it's a cool nostalgia hit using that desktop, so it will stay and the WHDLoad folder games. So yes a spreadsheet for that might be helpful to know the few games to avoid or be removed to save confusion.

For the Hyperspin wheel I want to use HDF exclusively if I can. Remember the Hyperspin Database is basically solely the WHDLoad collection. When I have the complete set I'll redo all the UAE files and game test them all. A spreadsheet for that will be helpful no doubt.

9 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Interesting read.

As I said the HDF is a conversion of the WHDLoad game (or package). It felt quicker loading HDF but that wasn't a scientific test, they could well be the same. I don't really want to test it lol As you've seen in my videos though there seems to be a difference between the two Bootloaders.

The Workbench Bootloader I have, would play my Beneath A Steel Sky WHDLoad package but the UA Bootloader wouldn't. Ransom's BASS WHDLoad package might well be newer than what I had, which is why it worked in the UA Bootloader BUT the WB Bootloader is also just as happy loading it too. That's why I say I have more success with it, as it seems less fussy.

I'm no expert as I say, I really do want to get on board with what the RPI/RetroPie guys are doing. As ultimately the Emulator I want to use (Amiberry) comes from there, we will eventually use a port of it. UAE4ARM is dead, the work the dev did I thank him for and it has been absorbed into Amiberry.

I need to understand how to effectively use the uae config file maker with the Shield TV. My config files are made manually and don't take advantage of what the community is sharing to ensure the best results. I never really intended to do the whole schbang of the Amiga WHDLoad collection, only the games I really enjoyed BUT I got carried away...like we do ;)

Cool I will get on it this week.

i will need to extract those assets to get the folder so I can run a text list of them for the sheet. At least we found a valid base set to work with.

config maker takes a little sorting for use with pc and I did struggle with it(I do with most things lol) 

i will look at my notes and maybe guide that one up soon. 

Let's say my WHDLoad package collection was older than Ransom's, there's clearly a difference between the two based on Beneath A Steel Sky. My Another World game didn't work with the UA Bootloader, nor does the one I have from Ransom's Collection. His HDF conversion does work though, so what WHDLoad package did he use to do the conversion? I'd have to assume the WHDLoad package that he has in his collection BUT that's assuming and could make an ass of you and me ;) 

As I said I made no other changes to the UAE file, just that it load the HDF file. All I know is his HDF file worked, I can try and look for more problem games with the UA Bootloader and see if he has a HDF that fixes it. I can't guarantee that though as he hasn't completed the set. Only he can say what he is working with, maybe we'll hear from him and he can clear things up. He's far more Amiga savvy than me.

There really isnt much difference from whdload to hdf most of the time. Some whdload games fail to load in wb environment because it lacks extra commands of lines required in the startup sequence to male the game function. Whdload bootloader uses 1 standard preload command i think. There were many hdfs that didnt work with only this command. I have had help from Retroplay who supplys the latest whdload versions of the game which i convert to hdf. Then i playtest if it fails i use many different commands to make it work. Some games like example Butcher Hill required some extra commands.

Another thing is some games work better on a600 then a1200 try torvak the warrior. A600 has music a1200 doesnt. You cant change settings in the bootloader its a standard aga a1200 setting. With torvak hdf. You can simply change it to a600 ecs 2mb chip and you can play it properly with music.

1 minute ago, ransom1122 said:

Another thing is some games work better on a600 then a1200 try torvak the warrior. A600 has music a1200 doesnt. You cant change settings in the bootloader its a standard aga a1200 setting. With torvak hdf. You can simply change it to a600 ecs 2mb chip and you can play it properly with music.

So in this case who would be able to change the bootloader to corect the issue or is that not possible? If I can list these type of things in a spreadsheet I wonder if that could help knock off some of the issues lile that when someone gets around to fixing things

Just now, ransom1122 said:

Which version whdload hdf and what platform pi or shield. Im only setup on pi at the moment.  My shield isnt where you guys are at yet

Reported on RetroPie forum at the link posted couple of posts up.

Wife is hogging the telly so no shield for me tonight :(

Currently redownloading some multipart rar's that didnt fully transfer 

13 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

So in this case who would be able to change the bootloader to corect the issue or is that not possible? If I can list these type of things in a spreadsheet I wonder if that could help knock off some of the issues lile that when someone gets around to fixing things

No. Like i said. Bootloader uses 1 standard config. Pretty silly if you tell me considering amigas complicated game configurations required.

All the whdload games that were slapped originally with the bootloader were never tested. 

Which is why i playtest all my hdfs and adfs at the moment before each pi update. I use latest whdload slave and latest whdload game version before I make the hdf.

15 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Ah think i get it now.

So the bootloader is from ultimate amiga project or something more global?

Is it the only bootloader there is for Pi/android?

Bootloader was made by Horace specifically for the pi. 

Any technical questions about it should really go to him. Im not sure how the config maker works.. I rather do things manually like ny uae configs. Boxcovers. And game content. I think eventually ill update my whole whdload set of games on my image one day.

Thanks, one last thing as I dont want to hold you up.

Do you modify anyo of the WHDLoad files at all or just grab the stuff feom EAB Turran/Retroplay's threads/ftp?

As it may be quicker (short term) for me to use those than extract the 50gigs of rar for building the spreadsheet I plan

Archived