Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

**SOLUTION STILL NOT FOUND!** Hyperspin bug!!! Please help....

martijnsx

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like to happen on rare moments with normal games and always when you start a game which rom does not load (bad rom or missing rom files). Without the suspend mode the emu exits within a few seconds and returns to the hyperspin menu but with the suspend mode the exit to hyperspin is not working as it should.

Make sure your exit key is not the same as the exit key your emulator uses. For,example - I had hyperspin freeze on me every time I exited a game. The reason was the ESC key is the exit key in mame, and I had hyper HQ and rocketlauncher UI also using the ESC Key to exit. This caused the crash. I changed the exit emulator key in rocketlauncher UI and the hyperspin key in hyper HQ to a key I don't use (which was BACKSPACE key). 

Works fine now. 

The issue is related to the fact that it's RL who is responsible of unsuspending HL, and RL need to go thru the exit sequence triggered by RL .... when the emu crash, it look likes RL do not do the exit sequence ... I do not know if it is an RL issue (make RL detect the emulator stop and fully execute all the steps) or an emulator issue in a sense that you should make sure no emulator exit in a unattended way? (Which is what I do on my side, but probably not sustainable long term?)

have you discussed this on RL forums?

I do not have the problem per say as my roms are not supposed to crash... but I can easily reproduce the behavior ... if it become an issue I would probably try to see how I can tweak RL modules to make sure the unsuspend function is called when emulator quit (i'm not yet familiar with it)

I tried setting up another exit key for hyperspinHQ. No succes. My general exit key is C so it was not conflicting with mame. 

Exiting games fails 1 out of 20 times with games/roms that are working. I think i post a message on the RL forum.

3 hours ago, martijnsx said:

I tried setting up another exit key for hyperspinHQ. No succes. My general exit key is C so it was not conflicting with mame. 

Exiting games fails 1 out of 20 times with games/roms that are working. I think i post a message on the RL forum.

Your exit key is C?

I have my HyperSpin exit key set to ESC. Same as it is for MAME and all my other emulators. no issues.

Maybe your problem is that you changed it?

I tried to understand a bit what happen in RL when the "User ask for a normal exit" (HS is not suspended), vs "Emulator exit by itself" (HS remain suspended) :

According to RL Logs, that happen in the modules, and there's indeed two differents behaviors:

Normal close:

00:08:17:886 | MD |      INFO  | +0     | Process.Run - Running: H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch_1.3.6\retroarch.exe  "H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Roms\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).zip" -f -c "H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch_1.3.6\retroarch.cfg" -L "H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch_1.3.6\cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll" -s "H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch_1.3.6\srm\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).srm" -S "H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch_1.3.6\save\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).state"
00:08:17:928 | MD |      INFO  | +47    | Window.Wait - Waiting for window "RetroArch ahk_class RetroArch"
00:08:18:400 | MD |      INFO  | +468   | Window.WaitActive - Waiting for "RetroArch ahk_class RetroArch"
00:08:18:916 | MD |      INFO  | +516   | Process.Process - "WaitClose" "retroarch.exe" 
00:08:27:161 | MD |      INFO  | +8250  | CloseProcess - Started, user requested to end launched application
00:08:27:466 | MD |      INFO  | +312   | CloseProcess - Ended

00:08:27:583 | MD |      INFO  | +110   | ExitModule - Started
00:08:27:583 | MD |      INFO  | +0     | UpdateStatistics - Starting Updating Statistics
00:08:27:714 | MD |      INFO  | +125   | UpdateStatistics - Game section statistics updated.
00:08:27:738 | MD |      INFO  | +31    | ExitModule - Ended

Unattended Close:

00:06:20:603 | MD |      INFO  | +0     | Process.Run - Running: H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch_1.3.6\retroarch.exe  "H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Roms\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).zip" -f -c "H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch_1.3.6\retroarch.cfg" -L "H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch_1.3.6\cores\genesis_plus_gx_libretro.dll" -s "H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch_1.3.6\srm\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).srm" -S "H:\HS-HYPERSPIN\Release\v1.0\Emulators\RetroArch\RetroArch_1.3.6\save\Sega Genesis\3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA).state"
00:06:20:638 | MD |      INFO  | +47    | Window.Wait - Waiting for window "RetroArch ahk_class RetroArch"
00:06:21:160 | MD |      INFO  | +516   | Window.WaitActive - Waiting for "RetroArch ahk_class RetroArch"
00:06:21:693 | MD |      INFO  | +531   | Process.Process - "WaitClose" "retroarch.exe" 
00:06:27:954 | MD |      INFO  | +6266  | ExitModule - Started
00:06:27:954 | MD |      INFO  | +0     | UpdateStatistics - Starting Updating Statistics
00:06:28:087 | MD |      INFO  | +125   | UpdateStatistics - Game section statistics updated.
00:06:28:090 | MD |      INFO  | +0     | ExitModule - Ended

See lines in Red, I'm pretty sure the Unsuspend happen somewhere at that time but it is not done in the unattened exit. I'm not an expert in RL, but I'm pretty sure it can be solved (either by tweaking the modules), or by opening a bug on RL ?

That's weird metalzoic as I had to change my exit key. It was same ESC as default in name.  

Everytime I exited a game it froze.  I had to change to exit emulator key and hyperspin key in hyper hq to the same key (other than ESC) for it to work. Tried everything. Only that would stop it freezing. 

Well i changed the exit (emulator) key in hyperspinHQ and rocketlauncherUI to ESC. Now i am able to crash/freeze hyperspin every time when using the C button. The C button is in mame linked to UI CANCEL. Do not know if that is the mame exit function.

Maybe this is the problem (like martin said). I thought i changed the exit key before and still had a crash. So i think i need to test more. Last test there were no crashes.

A "workaround" was shared on RL forums, bascially:

You have to change a script in the RL folder ( \Lib\Fade.ahk)

Option 1: You are using the FadeOut:

Change: this

FadeOutExit(){
	Gosub, FadeOutExit
}

to :

FadeOutExit(){
        Gosub, ShowFE
	Gosub, FadeOutExit
}

Option 2: You are not using the Fadeout:

First, activate the fadeout in RL UI, and in previous file, 

Change this:

FadeOutStart(){
	Gosub, FadeOutStart
	Gosub, ShowFE
}
FadeOutExit(){
	Gosub, FadeOutExit
}

to:

FadeOutStart(){
	Gosub, ShowFE
}
FadeOutExit(){
	Gosub, ShowFE
}

Let us know if it works

Hi bubs, 

I am trying to understand the discussion on the RL forum but do not follow it completely.

Does the workaround work?

Do you know if it will be fixed by the RL crew with an update?

I do not need the fade out animation. Is there a way to use fade out without the animation/graphics? Only use it as a workaround for the suspend bug. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bubs

On 9-1-2017 at 0:29 AM, Bubs said:

A "workaround" was shared on RL forums, bascially:

You have to change a script in the RL folder ( \Lib\Fade.ahk)

Option 1: You are using the FadeOut:

Change: this

FadeOutExit(){
	Gosub, FadeOutExit
}

to :

FadeOutExit(){
        Gosub, ShowFE
	Gosub, FadeOutExit
}

Option 2: You are not using the Fadeout:

First, activate the fadeout in RL UI, and in previous file, 

Change this:

FadeOutStart(){
	Gosub, FadeOutStart
	Gosub, ShowFE
}
FadeOutExit(){
	Gosub, FadeOutExit
}

to:

FadeOutStart(){
	Gosub, ShowFE
}
FadeOutExit(){
	Gosub, ShowFE
}

Let us know if it works

Hi Bubs,

Today (and last week) there were updates of Rocketlauncher. The fade.ahk has changed and this workaround does not seem to work anymore.

Any suggestions? Apperently they did not include this bugfix in the RL update as requested on the RL forum.

Hyperspin/Rockelauncher overall seems to be buggy after the update (without the above posted manual change).

Thanks.

Archived