Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperbase Live: Public Beta

fr0stbyt3

Ok so i just added all of the systems in the HBL list

Missing Tiles

Commodore 16 & Plus 4

Xbox Live Arcade

Namco System 22

SNK Neo Geo

SNK Neo Geo MVS

Sega Nomad

Tiger Game.com

Duplicate systems

Valve Steam (copy of Steam) does not have a tile

Mega Duck (copy of Creatonic Mega Duck) does not have a tile

Missing Systems

I believe i have all systems listed in hyperspin. These are the systems that are available in the old hyperspin, but are not in the HBL list.

Sufami Turbo

Super Vision 8000

Electronic Handheald Games

Gaelco

ResidualVM

Ideas

1. system name bubble appear on mouse over in all consoles

2. in  specific console edit show if a system is known to not have all roms dumped. example... VM Labs Nuon (could say something like incomplete next to the system name... this would probably be dependent on good database information)

3. designate a system is complete or missing on all consoles view (Maybe have a green or red box surround the tile).

4. Have media go to it's specific folder. example... box art goes to box art, carts goes to carts... instead of artwork 1 etc. This might make it easier to store/sort, and be more universally compatible. Of course this would require themes to have to updated, or the whole system would have to be reworked. Probably won't happen, but it's an idea.

Hope some of this info helps! :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, maabus said:

Missing Tiles

Commodore 16 & Plus 4

Xbox Live Arcade

Namco System 22

SNK Neo Geo

SNK Neo Geo MVS

Sega Nomad

Tiger Game.com

Duplicate systems

Missing Systems

I believe i have all systems listed in hyperspin. These are the systems that are available in the old hyperspin, but are not in the HBL list.

Sufami Turbo

Super Vision 8000

Gaelco

ResidualVM

Ideas

2. in  specific console edit show if a system is known to not have all roms dumped. example... VM Labs Nuon (could say something like incomplete next to the system name... this would probably be dependent on good database information)

3. designate a system is complete or missing on all consoles view (Maybe have a green or red box surround the tile).

4. Have media go to it's specific folder. example... box art goes to box art, carts goes to carts... instead of artwork 1 etc. This might make it easier to store/sort, and be more universally compatible. Of course this would require themes to have to updated, or the whole system would have to be reworked. Probably won't happen, but it's an idea.

Missing Systems - @Avar and @ci2own. Do we have these somewhere?

Ideas:

• Yeah, I can add tooltips in the future. But its not as pretty :)
  • Are you saying you want to know if the database on the server is known to not be complete or your local database?
  • Again, I think I get what you want, but its all about how to incorporate it. Adding large colored boxes would be more distracting than helpful in this case. We can talk after 1.0 about having an audit screen or something.
  • HAH! I totally hear you there. I could fix that in about 10 minutes. However, Hyperspin would not take kindly to that kind of modification. 
    • That being said, we're looking to support that and so much more in future releases of HS itself.

Yeah a lot of my suggestions im not sure how to incorporate but keep the awesome look you have.

I have ocd pokemon syndrome so i like to be able to see that im as complete as i can be without to much effort ?

For number 2 i am thinking of it being on the database side. One of the things that drives me nuts about the current database is there are games listed for some systems that are not released or dumped but nothing states the game is unavailable. I know you can remove the entry but now i know of some game and go on a quest to find it only to find out that you cant get it. So if hbl follows the old listings it might save other ocders time not hunting down an elusive game that is not released.

If we have it listed but you cant get it, have a note somehow that a complete system is unavailable. I hope that makes sense.

I could be on a different page than what the finished hbl program will be but im just thinking of things that would have helped me auditing early on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The only reason i was thinking of tool tips was i had the tiles shrunk down when i was trying to compare what was missing and couldnt see the names on some of the tiles clearly. Not a big deal and if it doesnt flow well dont add it, or maybe have a togle in settings to turn tool tips on/off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

When this goes 1.0, there will be a feature request thread that we open up. That way we don't lose any of this awesomeness in the noise of questions. 

I totally understand why you would want this info. It's all about how we choose to display it. Too much info and you overwhelm basic users. Too little, and you might as well not have it at all. I'm trying to keep that balance. I think the answer is to have a dedicated page in the app or a toggle to display these things.

@fr0stbyt3 

Missing Tiles

Commodore 16 & Plus 4

Xbox Live Arcade.                

Namco System 22

SNK Neo Geo

SNK Neo Geo MVS

Sega Nomad

Tiger Game.com

Are Xbox Live Arcade and Sega Nomad new HyperSpin Official Systems?

Tiger Game.com, Namco System 22, SNK Neo Geo MVS are already done. Don't know why didn't uploaded.

SNK Neo Geo is a system itself?

Another general question: once a user's local databases get updated to the one's on the server (via the Export XML as we talked about before), what will happen with the users roms? Because this would create a mismatch in the names of the roms and the databases, and launchers like RocketLauncher still require exact naming.

12 minutes ago, JoeC3109 said:

Another general question: once a user's local databases get updated to the one's on the server (via the Export XML as we talked about before), what will happen with the users roms? Because this would create a mismatch in the names of the roms and the databases, and launchers like RocketLauncher still require exact naming.

So the "filename" fix that I spoke about before will have to be how I fix this. Media will have to disk with the file name rather than cleaned ROM name. Additionally, if you still want that exported, as the description (to be displayed on the left in hyperspin) I will allow that as well. 

Damn ... 30 minutes fight with the editor, since it would not quote stuff as I like it ... 

@maabus I feel you ... 20 years of emulation ... and I still gotta catch them all :rofl:

@fr0stbyt3 How ridgid is the database and how resilient to changes? One of the things, I'd like to see is really some kind of globalisation at least being thought of. We here are all kind of maniacs doing weird stuff for the outside world and we established English as language. But that doesn't mean we would like our memories being preserved as we know it. (Or showing off to our kids and grandchildren ;) ) Which means a lot of folks might even prefer it to use the games in their mother tongue (... even though translation might be abyssmal) so actually saving spots for regional releases and languages supported might be a good point to start. So for me as a German selecting: give me all games suttporting (in the following order) German language, Europe release, US/English, Japanese (English fan translation available), Japanese (if nothing else matches) .... sounds like a great idea :) 

IMHO, the community can be leveraged to help you decide what is the right rom to include (please don't make me cast a vote on Pferd & Pony: Mein Pferdehof (engl: Horse & Pony: My Studfarm ...) (a GBA game..)).

Just thinking here ... 

When I say server side database I mean its a real database. So change like that would be pretty simple. I would need to add an additional table with foreign keys to their translations. You could select a language preference. If someone has added the translations, your output xml, and thus hyperspin, will be in your preferred language.

Wow i should have kept my eyes in here. I am going to now leave this alone until realease as i have many things going on and i think the others have got you covered @fr0stbyt3.

I will leave you with my opinions on the last topics and wait excitedly for the relaes. Wich seems very ready now to give it a run out.

On 5/23/2017 at 9:50 PM, maabus said:

cool.

A few ideas for HBL...

Add Console

remove a rom directory option (I accidently added the wrong directory, and had to delete the entire console to remove the directory) I noticed that if click and hold a grey bar fills the window, but i dont know what it is doing.

Editing a Console

Add a rom directory or remove directory from the console edit. (If you change your rom paths there is no way to change it in the console other than deleting the console and adding it back)

Wish List

When adding a console...  remove consoles that are already added from the drop down list. (I'm adding all the consoles, and it's a slow process scrolling through the drop down past ones I already have. This will also stop the possibility of accidentally adding a system you already added. I tested adding a duplicate, and it appears to not do anything so that is good. It is just time wasted going through the steps )

EDIT: OHHH i just figured out you can type the name of the system and it will display the systems that have what you type. That narrows down the drop down list. Still would be cool to remove what you have already added though! ;)

Edit 2: Maybe also display which directors are being used for roms in the edit console window.

Totally agree with this, meant to mention it myself.

16 hours ago, maabus said:

Missing Tiles

Commodore 16 & Plus 4

Xbox Live Arcade

Namco System 22

SNK Neo Geo

SNK Neo Geo MVS

Sega Nomad

Tiger Game.com

Duplicate systems

Missing Systems

Sufami Turbo

Super Vision 8000

Gaelco

ResidualVM

Ideas

I would prefer the use of a poll or at least official thread before deciding to remove or add a system. People put way to much effort in to this stuff to be excluded by admin/a few people. Imo (i may have read the reply from @Avar wrong :) )

Yes to box and cart folders but that not for this thread

10 hours ago, fr0stbyt3 said:

When this goes 1.0, there will be a feature request thread that we open up. That way we don't lose any of this awesomeness in the noise of questions. 

I totally understand why you would want this info. It's all about how we choose to display it. Too much info and you overwhelm basic users. Too little, and you might as well not have it at all. I'm trying to keep that balance. I think the answer is to have a dedicated page in the app or a toggle to display these things.

Please make use of the poll system and give us options instead of free rain lol more efficient imo.

Again poll for what options need a tool tip and agree keep it light on popup boxes

9 hours ago, EyMannMachHin said:

Damn ... 30 minutes fight with the editor, since it would not quote stuff as I like it ... 

@maabus I feel you ... 20 years of emulation ... and I still gotta catch them all :rofl:

@fr0stbyt3 How ridgid is the database and how resilient to changes? One of the things, I'd like to see is really some kind of globalisation at least being thought of. We here are all kind of maniacs doing weird stuff for the outside world and we established English as language. But that doesn't mean we would like our memories being preserved as we know it. (Or showing off to our kids and grandchildren ;) ) Which means a lot of folks might even prefer it to use the games in their mother tongue (... even though translation might be abyssmal) so actually saving spots for regional releases and languages supported might be a good point to start. So for me as a German selecting: give me all games suttporting (in the following order) German language, Europe release, US/English, Japanese (English fan translation available), Japanese (if nothing else matches) .... sounds like a great idea :) 

IMHO, the community can be leveraged to help you decide what is the right rom to include (please don't make me cast a vote on Pferd & Pony: Mein Pferdehof (engl: Horse & Pony: My Studfarm ...) (a GBA game..)).

Just thinking here ... 

I would love to see HBL flexibility moving aeay fro USA preference but its hard to find people with thknowledge to maintain standards. Theres only a handful really capable or active. If the end user had the motivation and opertunity to do what they wanted that would be sick. 

Over and above that (pie in the sky idea)

I just asked a similar question about the LaunchBox database. It would be awesome to have a community database for all frontends and gaming things. Everyone is doing their own thing and it locks us in (but i can see why that happens) Awfully complicated but if buy some slim chance the top top people could get together and make adjustments to their code it would be awesome.

I see the structure as teo tier.

Community DB possible to sync with that.

Corresponding frontend partner variations

Select hyperspin and our prefered naming metadata is injected to our local setups via sync.

Could lower the maintenance needed by all software as you only need stuff that differs from the community agreed guideline database.

Sorry for the hijack. I have always thought this since day 1. The LB database does seem to sort of do it in part but still not global and they dont have the knowledge that this community does!

Peace out back at release

A sublist of custom systems would be awesome in the future.

So if someone releases a pack it could be added there. Even utilising existing artwork in sync and only grabbing custom changes.

Edit:- comunity maintained not official or official updates

Edit2:- just the HQ packs like klop/zerojay? DOOM, Aorins hacks+"complete" setups recently. Not sure what elese is about

@thatman84 I think the key to adding multi-language support will be allowing it to be an override rather than a whole new database. We can still maintain and edit the master database in english. However, allowing language name and description override should work just fine. This relies heavily on the community to get done.  

Also, I'll be adding a feature down the road where a user can edit rom metadata (name and description) and then have that item be "locked" meaning it will never be written over by the server side database.

@KlopjerO I'll ask @Avar to look at this later. The issue there is it may not have a main menu wheel image in the current sets.

@thatman84@KlopjerO the current plan is that anything that has assets to merit inclusion or is functional will get added, but flagged as an unofficial system until such a time as it gets an official database. It has to has some form of media or database though or at least be supported by RocketLauncher or there's not much point to including it except maybe as an advanced option for xml/content development.

AFAIK @fr0stbyt3's Collections feature should cover most of what people are looking for as far as specialty databases and setups go, only in what sounds like a much more convenient way than we're currently having to go about it :)

Zero Jay made a doom collection. It has a database. Wheelset. Soundset. Main menu and default theme. And it's own rocket launcher modules and video collection on a per Rom basis.... I always thought or was weird that eduke32 had its own official module. But gzdoom didn't get one. Really weird.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A700FD met Tapatalk

5 hours ago, thatman84 said:

I would prefer the use of a poll or at least official thread before deciding to remove or add a system. People put way to much effort in to this stuff to be excluded by admin/a few people. Imo (i may have read the reply from @Avar wrong :) )

@thatman84 I'm not sure if you were directing this at me or @Avar, but I was not suggesting to add or remove systems. I was just stating what was different from what currently has a database in hyperlist, and what is available in the HBL dropdown list in case something was overlooked.

2 hours ago, maabus said:

@thatman84 I'm not sure if you were directing this at me or @Avar, but I was not suggesting to add or remove systems. I was just stating what was different from what currently has a database in hyperlist, and what is available in the HBL dropdown list in case something was overlooked.

Sorry it may have sounded a bit blunt. No direction specifically but thought Avar may have mo detail as to who decides what is listed as "official" I know system 22 probably shouldnt't be official not sure on the rest.

I just got a my back up at the word deleted. :) bad couple of days and need sleep 

ok... I thought HBL was based off the same databases that were already deemed official in hyperlist, and these systems just got misplaced.  I guess Avar will have to add input to that.

@thatman84  Hope you feel better soon!

It will be but there were a number of systems showing up that have no official xml  (or in some cases any xml that I'm aware of) and were subsequently pruned. When all's said and done the system list'll be HyperList + anything else I can find that's got art or a database. 

Moving forward we're gonna keep the system list pretty clear so anyone who's made a main menu wheel set can keep it updated. Main Menu wheels have been a point of contention for me over the years in that it's been historically annoying trying to find one complete, homogenous set. XD

• Avar locked this topic

Archived