Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Hyperbase Live: Public Beta

fr0stbyt3

4 minutes ago, wesfranks said:

Will the disregard/removal of metadata in parenthesis also be applied to say, the MAME system category? 

Rather than building an xml based on the roms present in the MAME roms folder, I think many of us keep full romsets to make updating/seeding easier. We then pare down the xml, using the metadata in that xml to identify and exclude/include certain roms to be available to HyperSpin, rather than 20 or 30,000 games. It also helps to see the naming info in parenthesis when you prefer say a Midway version of the game vs Taito, etc, while spinning through the wheel.

For console or disc sets, the region info gives hints to where to hunt for certain games (ex., PAL or Asian sets). This is also true (as previously stated) with translated games. I do not hunt for a translation to apply to a rom unless I see that there is one available as listed in the xml. 

Unless there is something I am not understanding (very possible), I for one would prefer the info in parenthesis remains in the xml. 

Good points. Fr0stbyt3 we are going to need an option to keep bracketed data

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
should I be mentioning problems with media?  I'm noticing some extra spaces in some of the themes for snes just extra spaces before the extension

Noted, I'll get those taken care of tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good points. Fr0stbyt3 we are going to need an option to keep bracketed data

I can just save the original file name as a property. When I export I'll use the file name. However, in our master database, we're going to drop it in favor of proper metadata.

We need a more reliable way to express what each region actually is. Right now it's a little haphazard. For instance, a ROM can have multiple regions. Those regions can be the same for two different games but in a different order. Some are abbreviated. Some aren't. This makes matching and adding metadata much more difficult.

Also, down the road, the collections tab should give you what you need to create custom XML files (Including genres and favorites).

So I could give you an option to see the full file name there. You can set up your xml file in the UI. Then I can export with or without the extra parenthesis. All without 'losing' your information.

This may be a big task but i notice on scanning my mame version romset of Atari 5200 i got no matches. Would it be possible to add software list naming to the DB? For Android reasons and for ease of access to some romsets I have held off adding many systems i can run through mame to avoid renaming everything. Low priority as doubt many people do the same

This may be a big task but i notice on scanning my mame version romset of Atari 5200 i got no matches. Would it be possible to add software list naming to the DB? For Android reasons and for ease of access to some romsets I have held off adding many systems i can run through mame to avoid renaming everything. Low priority as doubt many people do the same

I haven't had any coffee yet, so I may just be out of it; but what are you saying here?

For all those who are worried about the original file name and parenthesis, here is how I will be handling it for now. I'll create a toggle where users can say they want all media to export as the file name rather than the game name. This should clear up any issues. Moving forward, we're going to come up with a better solution for housing this data.

fname.PNG

2 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Could also ClrMamePro it to the proper names. I've been in the arctic for a few years so haven't had the data available to do a full mame update in a while but if it's using the same garbage minimalist nomenclature as MAME you should be able to use the provided DATs to fix it locally. Likely much faster/easier. Also, unless the Software List went a different rom format direction, your normal Atari 5200 roms oughta work.

1 hour ago, fr0stbyt3 said:

For all those who are worried about the original file name and parenthesis, here is how I will be handling it for now. I'll create a toggle where users can say they want all media to export as the file name rather than the game name. This should clear up any issues. Moving forward, we're going to come up with a better solution for housing this data.

fname.PNG

Just curious you aren't manually entering everything are you?

So some of the data is from the server side database. Some of the data is calculated from the file system. Some of it is a direct read of information in the file system. The above is a picture of my local application database.

8 hours ago, fr0stbyt3 said:

I haven't had any coffee yet, so I may just be out of it; but what are you saying 

Your gonna need more than coffee to understand my rambles!

7 hours ago, Avar said:

Could also ClrMamePro it to the proper names. I've been in the arctic for a few years so haven't had the data available to do a full mame update in a while but if it's using the same garbage minimalist nomenclature as MAME you should be able to use the provided DATs to fix it locally. Likely much faster/easier. Also, unless the Software List went a different rom format direction, your normal Atari 5200 roms oughta work.

Not really sure what you mean about the fixes, clrmamepro is lost on my little brain :). Android mame can only use software list roms by default unless you use a text file to point all the normal cmd line switches at it ( which i dot think many people can get working bar me :( )

What im geting at is this for A5200 as an easy example applied to the tens of other software list romsets.

My xml lists beamridr and my mame rom is beamridr.zip for the game Beamrider (USA) 

Will HBL be able to match beamridr to Beamrider and download the media named as beamridr.

You have to forgive me as im a little slow! When something clicks im all over it but HBL has not clicked with me yet which is totally fine as its not finished yet. 

Not really sure what you mean about the fixes, clrmamepro is lost on my little brain [emoji4]. Android mame can only use software list roms by default unless you use a text file to point all the normal cmd line switches at it ( which i dot think many people can get working bar me [emoji20] )
What im geting at is this for A5200 as an easy example applied to the tens of other software list romsets.
My xml lists beamridr and my mame rom is beamridr.zip for the game Beamrider (USA) 
Will HBL be able to match beamridr to Beamrider and download the media named as beamridr.
You have to forgive me as im a little slow! When something clicks im all over it but HBL has not clicked with me yet which is totally fine as its not finished yet. 

The short answer is not yet.

The longer answer is the database supports alternate names. So a ROM could have an alt name that is the silly mame name. I really want to know why people would mangle the names like that...

So, down the road, yes I'll support that.

Hey guys, great continued work on this. General question, to help me understand how this will work moving forward. I just set up SNES, and it changed the names of each wheel art for each game to remove the region (which makes sense, as was mentioned earlier). However, now none of my wheel art is showing up in HS, presumably because the database name is different than the newly named files - ie database still has regions. How is this going to work in the future? The idea is that databases themselves will be phased out? I'm just wondering how I should maintain the naming for my files in the interim, because now my SNES wheel looks a little bare.

Thanks again for all you guys have been doing.

5 minutes ago, JoeC3109 said:

Hey guys, great continued work on this. General question, to help me understand how this will work moving forward. I just set up SNES, and it changed the names of each wheel art for each game to remove the region (which makes sense, as was mentioned earlier). However, now none of my wheel art is showing up in HS, presumably because the database name is different than the newly named files - ie database still has regions. How is this going to work in the future? The idea is that databases themselves will be phased out? I'm just wondering how I should maintain the naming for my files in the interim, because now my SNES wheel looks a little bare.

Thanks again for all you guys have been doing.

Back up your databases first. Then go to General Settings > Database > Enable 'XML Database Export'. Then delete and re-add SNES. Magic will happen.

@Avar Feel free to take over the op and do whatever you want for updates.

the link is exactly the same every time. I upload and installer and an update file for every build. You just need to change the number in the link. Also you should not use the installer every time . Doing so can delete your configuration database for HBL. Causing you to have to start over.

• Avar locked this topic

Archived