Jump to content
fr0stbyt3

Hyperbase Live: Public Beta

Recommended Posts

Awesome work! curious though why is it downloading files with the regions cut off the file name

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jdubbs said:

Awesome work! curious though why is it downloading files with the regions cut off the file name

In an update a while back, I posted that all of the info that was in brackets or parenthesis was being removed from the HBL database. This is because it was inconsistent at best as a piece of metadata. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jdubbs said:

Awesome work! curious though why is it downloading files with the regions cut off the file name

Which files did you test on, out of curiosity?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, fr0stbyt3 said:

In an update a while back, I posted that all of the info that was in brackets or parenthesis was being removed from the HBL database. This is because it was inconsistent at best as a piece of metadata. 

Will hyperspin database's be changing or is this something that might be fixed in the future?  The program runs great just want to know before I try renaming all the files

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Avar said:

Which files did you test on, out of curiosity?

SNES

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool. So instead of, for example, "3 Ninja (USA)" you just get "3 Ninjas?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yup exactly like that, which made me think maybe hyperspin was changing how databases were made, its been a while since ive been here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HBL will change everything you know about how hyperspin was setup in the past. This tool will make it simple to set up hyperspin and you will never have to worry about databases/XMLs again if you don't want to.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so pretty much go along and get all the artwork and such and just wait for the big change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those are bold statements to be making in an old school forum, Mr. Jhabers.

Can't wait!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, reznnate said:

Those are bold statements to be making in an old school forum, Mr. Jhabers.

Can't wait!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
 

?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah moving forward it's going to be a lot more streamlined than it ever has been. The xml/metadata issue will smooth itself out, some things are just transitional atm. We wanna make sure we've got a really solid foundation to build on so there'll be some changes like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

should I be mentioning problems with media?  I'm noticing some extra spaces in some of the themes for snes just extra spaces before the extension

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the disregard/removal of metadata in parenthesis also be applied to say, the MAME system category? 

Rather than building an xml based on the roms present in the MAME roms folder, I think many of us keep full romsets to make updating/seeding easier. We then pare down the xml, using the metadata in that xml to identify and exclude/include certain roms to be available to HyperSpin, rather than 20 or 30,000 games. It also helps to see the naming info in parenthesis when you prefer say a Midway version of the game vs Taito, etc, while spinning through the wheel.

For console or disc sets, the region info gives hints to where to hunt for certain games (ex., PAL or Asian sets). This is also true (as previously stated) with translated games. I do not hunt for a translation to apply to a rom unless I see that there is one available as listed in the xml. 

Unless there is something I am not understanding (very possible), I for one would prefer the info in parenthesis remains in the xml. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wesfranks said:

Will the disregard/removal of metadata in parenthesis also be applied to say, the MAME system category? 

Rather than building an xml based on the roms present in the MAME roms folder, I think many of us keep full romsets to make updating/seeding easier. We then pare down the xml, using the metadata in that xml to identify and exclude/include certain roms to be available to HyperSpin, rather than 20 or 30,000 games. It also helps to see the naming info in parenthesis when you prefer say a Midway version of the game vs Taito, etc, while spinning through the wheel.

For console or disc sets, the region info gives hints to where to hunt for certain games (ex., PAL or Asian sets). This is also true (as previously stated) with translated games. I do not hunt for a translation to apply to a rom unless I see that there is one available as listed in the xml. 

Unless there is something I am not understanding (very possible), I for one would prefer the info in parenthesis remains in the xml. 

Good points. Fr0stbyt3 we are going to need an option to keep bracketed data

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
should I be mentioning problems with media?  I'm noticing some extra spaces in some of the themes for snes just extra spaces before the extension


Noted, I'll get those taken care of tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Good points. Fr0stbyt3 we are going to need an option to keep bracketed data

 

I can just save the original file name as a property. When I export I'll use the file name. However, in our master database, we're going to drop it in favor of proper metadata.

 

We need a more reliable way to express what each region actually is. Right now it's a little haphazard. For instance, a ROM can have multiple regions. Those regions can be the same for two different games but in a different order. Some are abbreviated. Some aren't. This makes matching and adding metadata much more difficult.

 

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, down the road, the collections tab should give you what you need to create custom XML files (Including genres and favorites).

So I could give you an option to see the full file name there. You can set up your xml file in the UI. Then I can export with or without the extra parenthesis. All without 'losing' your information.



Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep testing bros,  rock it , hey try not to be too complicated. :special:

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be a big task but i notice on scanning my mame version romset of Atari 5200 i got no matches. Would it be possible to add software list naming to the DB? For Android reasons and for ease of access to some romsets I have held off adding many systems i can run through mame to avoid renaming everything. Low priority as doubt many people do the same

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This may be a big task but i notice on scanning my mame version romset of Atari 5200 i got no matches. Would it be possible to add software list naming to the DB? For Android reasons and for ease of access to some romsets I have held off adding many systems i can run through mame to avoid renaming everything. Low priority as doubt many people do the same


I haven't had any coffee yet, so I may just be out of it; but what are you saying here?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all those who are worried about the original file name and parenthesis, here is how I will be handling it for now. I'll create a toggle where users can say they want all media to export as the file name rather than the game name. This should clear up any issues. Moving forward, we're going to come up with a better solution for housing this data.

 

fname.PNG

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thatman84 said:

This may be a big task but i notice on scanning my mame version romset of Atari 5200 i got no matches. Would it be possible to add software list naming to the DB? For Android reasons and for ease of access to some romsets I have held off adding many systems i can run through mame to avoid renaming everything. Low priority as doubt many people do the same

Could also ClrMamePro it to the proper names. I've been in the arctic for a few years so haven't had the data available to do a full mame update in a while but if it's using the same garbage minimalist nomenclature as MAME you should be able to use the provided DATs to fix it locally. Likely much faster/easier. Also, unless the Software List went a different rom format direction, your normal Atari 5200 roms oughta work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...