Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Comprehensive List of Natively Supported Compression Formats

SkyHighGam3r

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I updated the first post with some of the information here.

This is coming along great guys!

gcz works for wii as well or wbfs or even ciso i believe

GCZ working for Wii is amazing, I'm going to compress those this week haha. Does Dolphin compress to WBFS, or is that another format? I know you need something like CISO GUI to compress PSP games, is that necessary for the Wii games, and more importantly, does dolphin run CSO?

Ok, I updated the first post with some of the information here.

This is coming along great guys!

GCZ working for Wii is amazing, I'm going to compress those this week haha. Does Dolphin compress to WBFS, or is that another format? I know you need something like CISO GUI to compress PSP games, is that necessary for the Wii games, and more importantly, does dolphin run CSO?

One thing I noticed about GCZ compression that Dolphin itself does without any third party tool, is that GCZ compression is the most ineffective compression of all others I know, most GC games don't even compress 50 MBs, in rare cases it compressed more, but they are few, I wonder if there's a new kind of compression for GameCube games that could be more effective.

One thing I noticed about GCZ compression that Dolphin itself does without any third party tool, is that GCZ compression is the most ineffective compression of all others I know, most GC games don't even compress 50 MBs, in rare cases it compressed more, but they are few, I wonder if there's a new kind of compression for GameCube games that could be more effective.

I can't recall specific games, but I could have sworn I cut almost a gig off of a few of them. It's a shame that gz isn't supported. I'm cutting my PS2 games in half most of the time.

I'm attaching the GDI to CHD compression batch and Bin to PBP, and also a I didn't create these batches, I'm only sharing this:

PS: I'm also attaching PSX2PSP 1.3, if I can't, for any reason share these files, please let me know and I'll remove them right away.

Been looking for a tool to convert the multitracks to one file, thanks for sharing! However, the 7z file is only 1kb and empty, even though in the log it seems to have read the files properly, any ideas why?

PCSX2 added support for CSO awhile ago and it's in the latest stable build. It's nice since those don't require index files to be created like they do with GZ.

In the same blog post I found out about that support, they mentioned MaxCSO, which is a better program for compressing ISOs to CSOs since it's open source and has slightly higher compression.

Been looking for a tool to convert the multitracks to one file, thanks for sharing! However, the 7z file is only 1kb and empty, even though in the log it seems to have read the files properly, any ideas why?

Can you check if your anti virus is blocking the file? There's a link here too to a thread where you can find it, in case my upload is corrupt, take a look at my posts before this.

PCSX2 added support for CSO awhile ago and it's in the latest stable build. It's nice since those don't require index files to be created like they do with GZ.

In the same blog post I found out about that support, they mentioned MaxCSO, which is a better program for compressing ISOs to CSOs since it's open source and has slightly higher compression.

That is awesome. I added that to the list.

I'm thinking it would be good to notate some pros and cons or point out which method is the best for the systems that support multiple compressed file types.

Like for PS2, you mentioned the CSO's not needed the index files. I like that for my OCD lol. But how does the compression compare to GZ?

That is awesome. I added that to the list.

I'm thinking it would be good to notate some pros and cons or point out which method is the best for the systems that support multiple compressed file types.

Like for PS2, you mentioned the CSO's not needed the index files. I like that for my OCD lol. But how does the compression compare to GZ?

I have my PS2 isos in Gz files, they need the temp index file, so after knowing that PCSX2 now supports CSO I picked Grandia III (Disc 1), decompressed the GZ to ISO, so then I could try CSO and see how it goes.

The decompressed ISO has over 4.50 GBs, so far OK.

The Gz compressed ISO is 3.76 GB, so I compressed the ISO to CSO so I could compare both CSO and GZ.

The CSO ended up in 3.77 GB, it's compression seems somehow the same as the GZ file, so I selected the GZ and the Index temp file, they both are 3.77, same size as the CSO.

GZ files, as we know, when we run it for the first time, PCSX2 takes some time to load and create an index file for it, CSO don't need it, and their sizes are basically the same, so it's clear for me that CSO is better than GZ.

I have my PS2 isos in Gz files, they need the temp index file, so after knowing that PCSX2 now supports CSO I picked Grandia III (Disc 1), decompressed the GZ to ISO, so then I could try CSO and see how it goes.

The decompressed ISO has over 4.50 GBs, so far OK.

The Gz compressed ISO is 3.76 GB, so I compressed the ISO to CSO so I could compare both CSO and GZ.

The CSO ended up in 3.77 GB, it's compression seems somehow the same as the GZ file, so I selected the GZ and the Index temp file, they both are 3.77, same size as the CSO.

GZ files, as we know, when we run it for the first time, PCSX2 takes some time to load and create an index file for it, CSO don't need it, and their sizes are basically the same, so it's clear for me that CSO is better than GZ.

That's a very thurough breakdown lol

Well I'm not too tempted to go back through and change my GZ files to CSO if the compression is the same.

Also, with GZ if you decide you want to burn a copy to disc you can just extract it with 7zip instead of needing a special program to do it. Which is probably worth noting. Then again, if you have the program to put it IN a cso, it's probably not too much of a hassle to decompress it lol

There are a few dreamcast games that you can't find in GDI simply because they're indie games released lately that use the MIL-CD trick to work.

So those are CDI only

But the rest (All the games released during the DC lifespan) can be found in GDI format

And btw, CDI doesn't always mean evil, maaaany games weighed less than 700 megabytes in GDI so a full CDI conversion would still keep all the original data.

There are a few dreamcast games that you can't find in GDI simply because they're indie games released lately that use the MIL-CD trick to work.

So those are CDI only

But the rest (All the games released during the DC lifespan) can be found in GDI format

And btw, CDI doesn't always mean evil, maaaany games weighed less than 700 megabytes in GDI so a full CDI conversion would still keep all the original data.

That's true! I forgot some of them didn't require any downsampling/ripping. I'll update the post to reflect this.

ePSXe is a great PSX emulator and fully supports PBP files, if you want to save space and follow the PBP path, know that you have some extra work to do, but I assure you'll be satisfied with it.

Good to know, will be going through mine (around 120) multiple bin files are the bain of my life atm

I'm attaching the GDI to CHD compression batch and Bin to PBP, and also a I didn't create these batches, I'm only sharing this:

PS: I'm also attaching PSX2PSP 1.3, if I can't, for any reason share these files, please let me know and I'll remove them right away.

Is there a way to add these links to the main post? I'm adding some more information regarding tools.

Packing Wii-isos with WiiBackupManager leads to  a problem in a special case:

If the wbfs file cracks the 32bit boundaries the BackupManager generates a second file with the contents of 2^32+x. I think this a bug but I am not sure if there is an option I overlooked. In this special case I use Dolphin's gcz-compression which works flawless in this situation (and keeps the one file policy).

Packing Wii-isos with WiiBackupManager leads to  a problem in a special case:

If the wbfs file cracks the 32bit boundaries the BackupManager generates a second file with the contents of 2^32+x. I think this a bug but I am not sure if there is an option I overlooked. In this special case I use Dolphin's gcz-compression which works flawless in this situation (and keeps the one file policy).

Umm... what? lol

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean about 32bit boundaries, or (2 to the 32nd power + X)

Is this a problem with only certain games or?

So those are CDI only

I understand and imagine that not all DC games couldn't fit a 700 CD-Rom.

What is useful for us to notice about getting the full GDI versions, is that when we compress these versions to CHD, we'll probably have a smaller file size than a CDI.

I'm attaching 3 games, converted from full dumped GDI DC discs, notice their size:

1_zps2cc1bw8i.jpg

Shenmue Disc 1 is even smaller than a ripped CDI, it's still the full game with its original audio quality, most DC games compressed to CHD, from full GDI files tends to gets smaller than 500 MBs, notice how small are the two Crazy Taxi games, 

these just to name a few.

I didn't keep the numbers, but I remember when I compressed my DC set to CHD, I saved over 180 GBs.

Is there a way to add these links to the main post? I'm adding some more information regarding tools.

Yes, you can attach them, once you have them in your computer, edit your first post and click the "Use Full Editor" red button, there you'll find options to upload files.

• Aorin pinned and unpinned this topic

Archived