Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

List of MAME clones worth playing - Redux

Metalzoic

On 11/4/2017 at 5:48 AM, moff said:

Great list, Metalzoic!

But i think one better clone need to be added.

Shadow Force (Japan, Version 3) is better than parrent Shadow Force (US, Version 2).

Shadow Force is great beat'em'up game by Technos.

Japan version has opening intro.

In Japan version both players can actually finish the game together, showing an ending with both characters. According to the American flyer, there is supposed to be 14 endings, which seems ridiculous (since the American version forces both players to kill each other off at the end, like Double Dragon)

Japan version uses only 3 buttons instead of 6 in US version, but the moves that you lack are mostly just slightly different version of the moves that you still have, so that aspect is really not that big a deal. It mostly comes down to whether or not you would rather skip the fighter sections and be more likely to see any kind of real ending.

The Japanese version is lacking the Hard Punch and Light Kick buttons to be more specific. I prefer the Japanese version myself, since the one-on-one battles (bonus stages) are gimmicky and were only added as a blatant attempt to cash-in on the fighting game craze back then.

Hey @moff

Just went to do this and I'm seeing it differently than you.

First I show the Parent as World version 3 which seems to already be the 3 button version you mentioned. The US, Version 2 and Japan, Version 2 are the clones on mine. So from what I can tell the US, Version 2 is the one that needs to be uncloned to get the 6-button version.

Can anyone else check their MAME to see which are parents/clones of Shadow Force please? Should be Shadfrce, Shadfrcej, Shadfrceu

1 hour ago, vaderag said:

Ah, that explains it. Be useful if it told you that anywhere on the page!! Nevermind!

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

I get this question frequently enough that maybe I should just update the description to include it.

• 2 months later...

Stumbled upon this topic when searching the web for unique clones and really have to say THANK YOU for your effort! I'll use this list as a guide for setting up my MAME library and weed out all the unnecessary clones.

A couple of questions:

1- Has Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (umk3) been mentioned already? It's a very unique clone of "mk3" with extra characters, stages, modes and music. In fact, it's regarded as a distinct game altogether, yet it requires the "mk3" parent rom.

2- Is there also a list of FBA (FinalBurn Alpha) unique clones, or can the MAME list be used as a reference for both?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2018 at 6:42 AM, MrSkyle said:

Stumbled upon this topic when searching the web for unique clones and really have to say THANK YOU for your effort! I'll use this list as a guide for setting up my MAME library and weed out all the unnecessary clones.

A couple of questions:

1- Has Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (umk3) been mentioned already? It's a very unique clone of "mk3" with extra characters, stages, modes and music. In fact, it's regarded as a distinct game altogether, yet it requires the "mk3" parent rom.

2- Is there also a list of FBA (FinalBurn Alpha) unique clones, or can the MAME list be used as a reference for both?

Thanks, glad it helped.

Ultimate MK3 is it's own game and I thought that it was its own parent. If not then we can add it. I'm not running the latest MAME so someone will need to double check it for me in the latest version.

I'm not familiar with the FBA situation you're talking about so you'll need to break it down for me.

On 18/03/2018 at 3:09 AM, Metalzoic said:

Thanks, glad it helped.

Ultimate MK3 is it's own game and I thought that it was its own parent. If not then we can add it. I'm not running the latest MAME so someone will need to double check it for me in the latest version.

I'm not familiar with the FBA situation you're talking about so you'll need to break it down for me.

For a long time and up until at least MAME 0.78, "umk3" has been regarded as a clone of "mk3" and required this one to run. Not sure afterwards.

As for FBA, I cannot explain it with detail (I'm not entirely familiar with arcade emulation), but it's basically another arcade emulator with its own romset, just like MAME. It runs some games better than MAME, such as Neo Geo games, and can run others without the need of CHD files, such as Red Earth and the SFIII series. Interestingly, "umk3" is considered a parent in the latest FBA romset.

On 24/03/2018 at 10:37 PM, Metalzoic said:

Interesting. I'm running back on set... I don't even know. .65 maybe?

I'll check and see how it is there.

I'm using 0.78, which I believe is somewhat outdated, so maybe now "umk3" is already a parent that no longer requires "mk3"?

I also noticed the same with NBA Jam and its update, NBA Jam T.E. - "nbajamte" is considered a clone of "nbajam", despite being different games. Again, this is what I found out using the 0.78 romset, maybe they are now both separate parents as well. What is interesting, however, is that both NBA Jam and MK3 are Midway games...

On 3/20/2018 at 8:18 AM, MrSkyle said:

For a long time and up until at least MAME 0.78, "umk3" has been regarded as a clone of "mk3" and required this one to run. Not sure afterwards.

As for FBA, I cannot explain it with detail (I'm not entirely familiar with arcade emulation), but it's basically another arcade emulator with its own romset, just like MAME. It runs some games better than MAME, such as Neo Geo games, and can run others without the need of CHD files, such as Red Earth and the SFIII series. Interestingly, "umk3" is considered a parent in the latest FBA romset.

if you want an explanation

the developers of MAME focus on accurate emulation for preservationist. the fact that we can play the games is a by product of their work.

the developers of FBA focus on having a playable emulator.

The "LATEST" version of MAME with a recent PC,  can run everything FBA can run. 

Their is really no need to run FBA if you have a decent PC.

their are a few games found in the FBA emulator that are not found in MAME; most if not all are homebrews and hacks.  Games you will not find on any official XML

The only people who should be running FBA are raspberry pi/android  owners.  given that FBA will run much better then the recommended MAME version from 2003, or as you mentioned version 0.78

I recently  download the latest set of FBA,  built a FBA XML using the latest version of the MAME XML as a base.

after filtering the games;  My PI set up is now running most of my arcade games on  the FBA emualtor , and I'm only running MAME exclusive games on the MAME 2003 emulator.

On 28/03/2018 at 9:50 PM, 32assassin said:

The only people who should be running FBA are raspberry pi/android  owners.  given that FBA will run much better then the recommended MAME version from 2003, or as you mentioned version 0.78

Yup, that would be me. I didn't know the difference until now. I didn't see FBA as a different emulator for the same roms, I thought each had their own different romset, with different files. But now I realise FBA is simply running (the equivalent of) a more recent and refined MAME romset, with focus on more recent games, as the MAME version that runs on those systems is an older one. Either way, I noticed differences in the emulation of the same game, so I'll stick with both emulators, each with their own romset.

So maybe my suggestion of adding "umk3" may be an invalid one by now, since the latest MAME romset should regard it as a parent, as much as FBA does.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

So last update to main list is 12/2/2016. That is page 4 of 7 on my PC. There has been some others games suggested, was it found best to leave them off the list or just lack of updating? 

Edit: seems the game* after 12/2/2016 was added, it was only one. Shadow Force was talked about, but not added.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/9/2018 at 4:42 PM, MrSkyle said:

A couple of questions:

2- Is there also a list of FBA (FinalBurn Alpha) unique clones, or can the MAME list be used as a reference for both? I tried to find this information, but unfortunately there is no solution to this problem in various blogs. After setting up the library, I decided to write an article with a guide. With the help of the plagiarism checker https://fixgerald.com/ I made a competent text. I hope this will help me in promoting my blog articles. I would be glad if you also read some of my articles.

Thanks to setting up the library, there can be no cons) Everything is simple and you described the main advantages)