Found a little trick to help with the dual config thing with retroarch if you don't have root.

This will allow you make the config file Hyperspin launches the same as the normal one

Works in RetroArch 1.3.6 & 1.4.1

Hyperspin launched games use retroarch.cfg located in root data/user/0/com.retroarch

Retroarch direct launched games use retroarch.cfg located in local storage (mine is) storage/emulated/0/android/data/com.retroarch

You can now access the root retroarch.cfg file from the gui

Steps

1. Go to settings->directory
  2. Change your config directory to "data/user/0/com.retroarch"
  3. Go back to main screen and find "load configuration"
  4. Scroll down to the bottom and load retroarch.cfg
  5. Change any settings required
  6. Go to -> "Save Current Configuration"
  7. Quit via the menu
  8. Reload RetroArch and reset you config directory
  9. Save Current Configuration

The main settings to change are the directory for System/BIOS & Configuration Directory

You will need to create the folders if they are not already availiable

Heres a rough video of the process

• Upvote 5

This is great.  There's still no way to make the Hyperspin-launched Retroarch point to the retroarch.cfg that is used when we launch Retroarch by itself right (the one we have write access to)?  Because the Hyperspin retroarch.cfg is located in folder that we don't have rights to, we can't reverse the A/B button numbers for the menu the way we can with the standalone RA right?

No I can't find a way to point it at the normal access retroarch.cfg although I did decompile the APK and find the set path. I just couldn't get it to install after recompile because it wasn't signed so gave up.

you can still swap A/B if your using per core configs. Probably if your using overrides aswell. May just have edit a cfg file. Although latest night lies have the A/B swap built in. I just have not upgraded yet so don't know Howe! I don't want to lose my cores

12 hours ago, aftermath17 said:

This is great.  There's still no way to make the Hyperspin-launched Retroarch point to the retroarch.cfg that is used when we launch Retroarch by itself right (the one we have write access to)?  Because the Hyperspin retroarch.cfg is located in folder that we don't have rights to, we can't reverse the A/B button numbers for the menu the way we can with the standalone RA right?

The new nightly has the buttons changed in default. Same as the shield button layout. Less confusing

Do you sideload the nightlies?  Is it worth updating to nightlies or will these changes make their way to the Play Store production version soon?  I usually prefer to stick with stable so my setup doesn't break ;)

15 minutes ago, aftermath17 said:

Do you sideload the nightlies?  Is it worth updating to nightlies or will these changes make their way to the Play Store production version soon?  I usually prefer to stick with stable so my setup doesn't break ;)

Use Google on shield. I tried stable and my shield doesn't like it. Lots of freezing

Have to say, the nightly looks and behaves much nicer.  First game I tried was a MAME game.  My button A does what button 3 does in the arcade (jump).  My button B does nothing.  Button X does what button 2 does in the arcade.  Button Y does what button 1 does in the arcade.  I have an Nvidia Shield controller.  I guess I have to go through every core and reconfigure the buttons?  Maybe this is where I do some research on overrides so I'm using the newest "way" of doing things?

I dont believe this trick will work anymore as RetroArch 1.3.6 Play Store Stable doesnt see the "data/data" director now but instead uses "data/user/0". HyperSpin is still using the "data/data" path as its launch directory.

Thanks, this worked for me so I could fix three systems that weren't reading their bioses.

But I don't quite follow why you need access to data/data? The retroarch.cfg is in  data/user/0/com.retroarch as you mentioned?

I'm on 1.3.6, by the way.

• Upvote 1

I have forgotten the exact directories since doing this but recently broke my setup and have to test it again. Just can't find time at the moment.

i am thinking they are the same theoretical location but need to test. (I have adjusted my hyperspin apk to use the data/user directory) need to see if hyperspin data/data apk and my custom hyperspin data/user apk are reading the same retroarch.cfg to confirm)

Thanks Thatman84, this fixed the data/data bug for me on my Nvidia Shield and I can now see my custom cfg for each core I made. I still can't get hyperspin to launch my custom configuration with shaders and overlay. I have to load my custom config from the configuration menu everytime I start a game from with in hyperspin. Is there any way to force hyperspin to Launch my custom config per core? 

You can't tell Hyperspin to launch any other config file other than the retroarch.cfg in data/data

you would have to use the retroarch overrides system.

Wow... I should not try such things in the middle of the night. Took me like an hour to find out what I was doing wrong. The part about actually loading the HSA config somehow didn't sink in and I did always load the main config in Android/com.retroarch and save it to /storage/emulated/0/Retroarch/config. Until the penny finally dropped :morning2:

So my Android setup is making some progress now. I cannot get the Jaguar to anything though, even though the PC Windows Retroarch seems to be doing fine. (both are on 1.5.0 stable)

That is a great help, thank you!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Honosuseri
      I realise there is already a thread for the Commodore Amiga in the Android section. I should know, as of late I've essentially taken it over! It's one of the most viewed threads in the Android section, so clearly many of you adore the Amiga as much as I do. 
      That thread has become quite long and it's quite confusing with people choosing to emulate the Amiga in different ways. I decided it would be best to start my own thread, streamlining it to show the best way to get this done. As I do have a "proof of concept" setup working! 
      This project I've taken on is a mammoth undertaking, as the Amiga is quite a complicated system to do. I'll try to explain why and how I've decided to proceed, keeping you guys up to speed with my progress here. 
      The first real issue is the naming that Hyperspin has been using for some time now. It's based from the Whdload zip file names, which was a logical choice BUT the problem is these zip names keep changing over time as they get updated. This throws the database entries and all media assets out of whack. It's my belief that this naming is what is really holding us back doing the Amiga justice.
      Second problem for us Android users anyway, is that we can't use the zip files directly with an emulator. They needed to be extracted out and we used a bootloader to patch the files for the emulator and launch the games. All seemed well and good until I started testing games and found many wouldn't work. Very confusing as the same game files worked fine from a workbench environment I'd set up, with it's own bootloader I added in. I suspected it was the "ultimate amiga" bootloader for the Hyperspin wheel at fault, which proved to be correct. 
      So the best way to launch these Amiga games from the Hyperspin wheel, is to actually use HDF versions of the games. This removes the need for the bootloader. I decided to keep the game folders extracted from the whdload zip files. Continuing to use these with the workbench (Amiga's OS) hdf I created. Having this is a nice nostalgic nod, I'm sure genuine Amiga fans will appreciate. 
      Unfortunately we can't just point the emulator to these hdf files, it's not that simple. Each game requires a config file that points to where the particular hdf game file is, what kick-start (i.e Bios) to use, video settings, control bindings etc. These files are known as uae files, as that is the extension we tell Hyperspin to look for. We trick it into thinking these uae's are the actual "game Roms".
      Sadly uae files aren't universal between emulators. So choosing the right emulator to begin with is important. Many people had chosen to use RetroArch. Which can't do the CD32, so I'll strike it off for that reason alone (although there are other reasons). I spent a long time waiting on Amiberry to be ported to Android but the devs haven't delivered. I'm not waiting any longer, so I'm continuing to proceed with Uae4arm. 
      As I write this, the latest version of Uae4arm crashes on Android TV (i.e Shield TV) but does run fine on Android phones. The devs are aware and trying to resolve this. There is an older apk version we can install for now, which does work. Another slight annoyance is that Uae4arm is quite fussy about how the uae files are named. They can NOT have special characters in them (e.g a space) or the emulator won't launch them!
      My next complaint was that Hyperspin has "rules" about what games should be included in the xml database file. I do NOT agree with these "guidelines". I want a definitive collection of Amiga games. 
      I've decided to branch the Amiga out into different wheels, ECS, AGA and CD32. As an analogy think of Sega's Megadrive and it's hardware addons. Megadrive=ECS, Sega32X=AGA (better graphics chipset on later Amigas) and finally the MegaCD=CD32 (better audio track and FMV).
      There is a "HDF game set" floating around. However... I got to know the creator, from doing videos on my proof of concept setup. I've persuaded him to rename the files to something more sensible, that should help other frontends scrape for metadata and artwork. These names will not change over time as he updates the collection. He does release notes, so this info can be used to keep the xml database file up to date. Currently he's overhauling the hdf files so they take up less storage and even adding cheat and trainer options to the loading splash screen....very cool stuff!
      I'm working on creating missing artwork (wheel, 3D box, diskette and video snaps), keeping busy until this new hdf collection is complete. Then I can start creating the uae files needed. This will be laborious, as Uae4arm doesn't do cycle exact emulation. I need to make sure each game is configured correctly to run at the proper speed, I'll also bind commonly needed keyboard keys to the gamepad on a per game basis.
      If you're confused, that's OK! It should all make sense, once I get around to uploading some more videos. Yes I will make my assets available to you all (minus the games obviously due to Hyperspin rules), once I'm happy with the collection.

• By thatman84
      This is the start of the WIP guide and Amiga Project thread
      DONT REPLY TO THIS THREAD
      REPLY TO THIS ONE(clicky)

For now this will become a tempory guide to UAE4arm setup with the Ultimate Amiga Raspberry Pi Project a helpful source of information in google
      Step 1 - Install Uae4arm (beta)
      You need to follow this link to sign up to be a beta tester to gain access to the apk that can launch games directly from Hyperspin.
      https://play.google.com/apps/testing/atua.anddev.uae4arm
      Link above taken from the English Amiga Board and the post below
      http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=1158186&postcount=349

Step 2 - Install Kickstarts
      WIP

Database taken from this thread post

More to follow

Amiberry Android progress threads
      https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues/206
      https://github.com/midwan/amiberry/issues/241