Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

R-Pod MkII Driving Simulator

ericleroi

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Steve. It really helps that I've completed a few projects before, including MKI of the R-Pod - I know the features I need to include and feel more confident I can bring them to life now. I had zero skills in this type of thing before I built my first arcade cabinet.

Your fabrication is flawless mate, love it. Where did you pickup your skills from?

That's what I was thinking, I have a little router I use for trimming laminate but that's about it, I have no idea how you accomplish things like your components using a router.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Thanks majorspawn. All skills were acquired from the projects I've worked on with capability (and subsequently ideas) improving with each one. Self taught really with a lot of understanding coming from the Vewlix cabinet.

The actual process/approach is fairly simple connorsdad. Lots of straight edges with deep bevels - just a flush trim and large chamfer bit have been used for this. The project starts off as a general idea with an understand of how to assemble it to get things as seamless and integrated as possible with the actual finer detail of the design being worked on as each piece is made. What looks good on paper doesn't always translate well into the real world so I'm prepared to make adjustments accordingly. Sometimes an idea just materialises out of nowhere and I go with that. One thing I do do a lot of is to look at lots of different materials to break up large expanses and add a bit of interest. That is one of the things I enjoy most - increasing my collection of go-to materials.

I was running low on Blackboard vinyl so ordered some more of that. Hopefully I'll be in a position to skin the front of the cab with it soon.

Just finished up filling the seat base panel and applying the first coat of primer to the grill section. A couple of productive weekday hours and I'm hoping to get the flat black paint applied on Friday after some more prep work tomorrow.

PartPrep3_zps96ce6f0b.jpg

I need to consider whether I'm going to go for an engine bay under the air intake or not ...

Basic instructions would be as follows:

1. Draw out the basic shape

2. Rough cut with a jigsaw

3. Flush trim the edges

4. Mark an outline set around 1.5cm from the perimeter (this is where the outer beveled edge will run to)

5. Mark another outline with the thickness of the flat surface wanted

This will give you your basic shape.

6. Design in any windows you want using the same thickness as in point 5. Example:

ShifterPodCutOuts3_zps8323abf1.jpg

7. drill some holes for the jigsaw

CutOutHoles_zps2fe0ec12.jpg

8. Rough cut the hole out - if there are sharp angles in the windows. don't go too near the edges

CutOutRough_zpsfa084538.jpg

9. Nail length of this strip wood to the lines you have drawn making sure that the pieces line up as much as possible:

Grill4_zps7e5f883a.jpg

10. Flip it over, clamp firmly and use a flush trim router bit to trim the rough cut edge - you may need to make a temporary shelf if its a thin piece to help balance the router. Move this shelf around to provide stability as you trim.

11. Use a chamfer bit on the inside edge to finish it off 2-3 mm depth is probably sufficient.

Hope that helps.

Brilliant tut, thank you its very much appreciated. I have an amazing tool and yet don't know how to use it, this will help me a great deal in the future. Gonna put this little tidbit in my digital scrapbook for future reference :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

No problem connorsdad, glad to help. Routers are fantastic tools, I wouldn't be without mine!

Slightly ahead of schedule with this. Managed to finish the priming and sanding back and have now applied the first (patchy) coat of flat black. This will need to be sanded down lightly and another coat applied:

PatchyBlack_zps8ad9024f.jpg

Archived