Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Sharp X86000, MS-DOS and PC-98 all work on Shield TV

sonkun

I don't think I've seen any of these systems talked about here but I managed to get all of them to work through trial and error. For anyone that wants to try these:

X68000:

Get PX68K (version 0.15) app. After installing it make a folder right in the root of your sd card called PX68K and put all the bios (cgrom.dat, lplrom.dat) and games (unzipped) in that one folder. After opening the app I had to attach a keyboard to open the menu with the keyboard's menu key (you can use your controller to browse the menus at this point). First game I tested was Akumajo Dracula (Castlevania Chronicles). It's a 2 disk game so for games with two discs or more place the first disk in the FDD0 slot and place disc 2 in the FDD1 slot. Controller support is there and already mapped so before starting the game, in the menu from top to bottom I changed the Joy/Mouse to Joystick, Sound rate to 44100Hz and finally JoyKey to On. To start the game go to SYSTEM and hit RESET and the game should start automatcally.

Ok so for PC-98:

Get the Neko Project II (version 20130429) app. After installing make a folder in your sd card root called np2 and put your bios (font.rom, bios.rom, ift.rom, sound.rom) plus all your unzipped games (there's two types of game rom extensions, both hdi and fdi, only fdi games seem to work) in that folder. After starting the app I had to connect a keyboard to bring up the menu with the keyboard's menu key. At this point I was able to use my controller. Before I continue I must say I'm rooted and using the Sixaxis app with a wireless ps3 controller that has mouse support so you will need a mouse at this point going forward. A menu list should appear at the bottom, you can either use the keyboard or your controller and highlight the cat looking icon and enter it, another menu should appear at the top screen now. With your mouse hit FDD1>Open and your games should appear right in the list of the screen that pops up. It's a little tricky clicking in this app with the mouse, sometimes you have to be a few centimeters above the file you actually want to click but a trick I learned to make clicking easier is to click in between the white area that has the two folders above your game files that have 1 dot and 2 dot extensions and hold down on the mouse after clicking and THEN scroll down your list of games, if done right you'll be able to highlight over your games. After highlighting the game you want simply left click once again and your game folder list will dissapear, that means the game is ready to be played. Open the menu button one more time and this time hit the reset button (the icon with the two arrows going in a circle), the game should start automatically. I'm not sure how to map buttons to a controller on this app so if anyone figures that out please share. Other than that a keyboard works to play.

For MS-DOS:

Get DOS Box Turbo (version 2.1.20.a). After installing make a folder in your sd card's Download folder (yes download, weird I know) called dos. Don't need any bios  for this one, all you place in here is your games (In their unzipped respective folder). Start the app and you should see a cmd box type screen. Use a mouse to "swipe" and pull the menu up from the left side of the screen and pull it towards your right and that's how you bring up the menu for settings etc. (You can use your controller to navigate in the menu). Before starting any game this app has controller mapping so to map first go to Settings Menu>Button/Controller Map. You'll notice that Up, Down, Left, Right, Home and Back have already been mapped so all you need to do is map some buttons (a,b,x,y). I only needed two buttons for the game I tested so I first hit Add Button Mappings and then you see another custom map button add to the list of already mapped buttons, it should say something like "Map Custom Button 6" or something like that. Go into that custom button and a box will pop up, what you'll want to focus on this box the bottom half where it says "Select DOS Key Mapping". You should see an arrow pointing downards on the right side, hit that with your mouse and another box should pop up this time with a bunch of keys that you can choose from. The game I used required Joy BTN A and Joy BTN B which can be found if you scroll all the way to the bottom in that area. Using those two buttons as an example choose Joy BTN A with your mouse, then with your controller map it whichever button you desire on your pad simply but hitting the desired button. After deciding on the button you want simply hit ok and it's mapped, repeat again to map Joy BTN B. After that we have to head back to the cmd box screen to finally start our game.

The first game I tested was a game called Rusty (it's like Castlevania). As I said earlier you can either use your own keybord or the virtual keyboard within the app to type. The first thing you have to type is

1: cd dos then hit enter. After that type in

2: cd (whatever the name of your game folder is called) then hit enter. The name of my game is Rusty so I had to put cd Rusty

At this point to start any game you need to type in whatever it is that executes the game, each game varies I believe so it can be anything. The game Rusty I tried came with a readme that says I needed to type "play.bat" after step 2 of above instructions to start the game and that worked. So once again the first two steps need to be done for any game you choose and then it's just a matter of finding it's "start the game" file to type in and you should be set to go.

EDIT: Just noticed there's a core for DOSBox in Retroarch lol

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, sanchezmike01 said:

Has anyone tried xm7 emulator for android?....it's a Fujitsu fm7 emulator....for some weird reason hyperspin keeps crashing if I setup fm7 for retroarch.....the xm7 instructions is written in Japanese and can't figure it out for android

Never tried that emulator but I just confirmed that FM7 works on Retroarch mame. I tested the game Castle Excellent. Only problem was I couldn't control or start anything, I assume you may need a keyboard or something but thegame definitely starts up at least.

1 hour ago, sonkun said:

Never tried that emulator but I just confirmed that FM7 works on Retroarch mame. I tested the game Castle Excellent. Only problem was I couldn't control or start anything, I assume you may need a keyboard or something but thegame definitely starts up at least.

That's wierd it crashes for me too.

That's strange. I would love to test this system through hyperspin. Forgot to mention that I only got the game to start through RA standalone. If you can point me in the right direction to obtain some media files I'll set this system up and give it a test. Tried to get a complete package off of Hypersync and it only gave me two files. The fact that the system even starts at all must mean it HAS to be a way to get it to start through Hyperspin, probably something that just needs to be named a certain way. I was having this exact same problem getting Neo Geo CD to work through hyperspin. Maybe you can refer to this thread and go threw it to see how I struggled along and finally got it. Also I just recently made a mame/mess tutorial that may or may not help you fix the problem so you can check that out sometime as well. 

Update: Forgot you can test any systems without any media files, all you need is the xml, ini and the game lol. I managed to make a disc game start through the Hyperspin wheel. I came to find out that fm-7 has two xml's, one for disc games and one for cassettes so if you want to play both it seems you'll have to make two seperate xml's for each of them or maybe you can merge them? Not sure as I've never attempted anything like that yet.

Refer to these pics below and make sure you have your files and folders similar to them. For this test I took a hyperspin ready mess/mame "fm-7 disc" xml and simply named it as it I have it in the pic below. One thing about setting up mess/mame systems for hyperspin use is that you have to have your games and all media files (carts, boxart, game wheel and videos) named exactly how the system xml has it's games named in the mame hash folder has them named or the game/media won't play/show at all. The game I tested was Castle Excellent but you can see it's labeled "castlex" in the game name line. I used a Hyperspin ready mame/mess fm-7 xml that already has all the games for that system renamed to work in hyperspin. I made a tutorial in the android section as well going a little more in depth about this subject that I hope you find useful. Also make sure you have that bios and that your rom folder is named "fm7". Also make sure you have the mame hash folder placed in your retroarch system folder which can be found on your internal storage in  Android>data>com.retroarch>files>system

ES File Explorer_20170214_133331.png

ES File Explorer_20170214_133404.png

ES File Explorer_20170214_134020.png

29 minutes ago, sonkun said:

Update: Forgot you can test any systems without any media files, all you need is the xml, ini and the game lol. I managed to make a disc game start through the Hyperspin wheel. I came to find out that fm-7 has two xml's, one for disc games and one for cassettes so if you want to play both it seems you'll have to make two seperate wheels for each of them or maybe you can merge them? Not sure as I've never attempted anything like that yet.

Refer to these pics below and make sure you have your files and folders similar to them. One thing about setting up mess/mame systems for hyperspin use is that you have to have your games and all media files (carts, boxart, game wheel and videos) named exactly how the system xml has it's games named in the mame hash folder has them named or the game/media won't play/show at all. The game I tested was Castle Excellent but you can see it's labeled "castlex" in the game name line. I used a Hyperspin ready mame/mess fm-7 xml that already has all the games for that system renamed to work in hyperspin. I made a tutorial in the android section as well going a little more in depth about this subject that I hope you find useful. Also make sure you have that bios and that your rom folder is named "fm7"

ES File Explorer_20170214_133331.png

ES File Explorer_20170214_133404.png

ES File Explorer_20170214_134020.png

Yes I'm familiar with mess as I have over 100 mess systems thru hyperspin but this is the only one that won't let me in the game wheel. Nice job by the way. Try with all media and report back

Just now, badhemi said:

Yes I'm familiar with mess as I have over 100 mess systems thru hyperspin but this is the only one that won't let me in the game wheel. Nice job by the way. Try with all media and report back

You quoted me while I was making changes to my post lol, oh well. Are you trying a disc game or cassette game? I haven't touched the cassette games yet.

8 minutes ago, sonkun said:

You quoted me while I was making changes to my post lol, oh well. Are you trying a disc game or cassette game? I haven't touched the cassette games yet.

Ju trying to get into game wheel. It crashes when you click on the fm7 system wheel

3 minutes ago, badhemi said:

Ju trying to get into game wheel. It crashes when you click on the fm7 system wheel

Ah, so that's why you want me to try with all the media. Well I got into an empty wheel with no media so maybe there's something faulty going on with one of the media files, folders. In any case I'll try out the ones you sent me and report back.

2 minutes ago, sonkun said:

Ah, so that's why you want me to try with all the media. Well I got into an empty wheel with no media so maybe there's something faulty going on with one of the media files, folders. In any case I'll try out the ones you sent me and report back.

Lol now you get it. Yes please try. Me and a friend are going nutz

Just now, sanchezmike01 said:

I got the same pack none are cassettes...cassettes are T77 and u must press play to load up properly like other mess systems like pegasus....we have tons of mess systems launching from hyperspin but this 1 seems to want to be a bump on the road...

Well if you're just using disc games then you should definitely be able to start a game through hyperspin as I've literally just got in that way not too long ago.

5 minutes ago, badhemi said:

Lol now you get it. Yes please try. Me and a friend are going nutz

badhemi these media files aren't named named how it is in the mame hash folder for the disc games, plus there's a RocketLauncher folder? I only deal with hyperspin android lol. Plus those other files aren't zipped (if you know what I'm talking about). For me to test this through android hyperspin I will have to rename all of those media files, which is good cause I would love to have this obscure system in my hyperspin wheel. In any case I'll update you when I get done.

4 minutes ago, sonkun said:

badhemi these media files aren't named named how it is in the mame hash folder for the disc games, plus there's a RocketLauncher folder? I only deal with hyperspin android lol. Plus those other files aren't zipped (if you know what I'm talking about). For me to test this through android hyperspin I will have to rename all of those media files, which is good cause I would love to have this obscure system in my hyperspin wheel. In any case I'll update you when I get done.

I'm at work this was from my phone. I have all renamed and it is for android. I just happened to have both PC and android. Me and Mike are devoting are precious time to android. Rename a few and check back. Thanks

12 minutes ago, badhemi said:

I'm at work this was from my phone. I have all renamed and it is for android. I just happened to have both PC and android. Me and Mike are devoting are precious time to android. Rename a few and check back. Thanks

While I'm doing that I went and checked your xml and immediately I was alerted by this error. I believe you can't have any "&" in the xml's, I might be worng though. Refer to the pic below. Also if you can, try to replace that "&" in the middle of the T and E with & and do that to all the media files using that game title then see if you can get into the wheel.

fm7error.png

5 minutes ago, sonkun said:

While I'm doing that I went and checked your xml and immediately I was alerted by this error. I believe you can't have any "&" in the xml's, I might be worng though. Refer to the pic below. Also if you can, try to replace that "&" in the middle of the T and E with & and do that to all the media files using that game title then see if you can get into the wheel.

fm7error.png

Yes changed that the first time I went to switch it to android. Mike found a faulty folder in images causing the provlem

Just now, badhemi said:

Yes changed that the first time I went to switch it to android. Mike found a faulty folder in images causing the provlem

Hmm, Okay. I'll just try to mess around with it after I have it set up on my Shield then. I'll get back to you.

Archived