zerojay

Faking Subwheels of Subwheels with Multiple Installs of Hyperspin

Finally found time to give this a try today and managed to do just what I wanted, i.e. display arcade systems with the normal 4:3 themes and homes systems with the 16:9 Unified Mega Themes. Here's what I did:

1 - Put HyperSpin and HyperLaunch into three separate folders as follows:

H:\HyperSpin

H:\HyperSpin Arcade

H:\HyperSpin Home

2 - Created Main.ahk, Arcade.ahk and Home.ahk by taking zerojay's code and changing the Run command accordingly (e.g. Run, H:\HyperSpin Arcade\HyperSpin.exe) and turned them into executables using the AutoHotkey compiler.

3 - Added Arcade and Home wheels to the main instance of HyperSpin, pointing them at Arcade.exe and Home.exe respectively, and removed all the other wheels.

4 - Configured the Arcade and Home instances of HyperSpin with the appropriate systems and window size, and added Main.exe as the Exit Program for both of them.

5 - Made sure the path for HyperLaunch was set correctly in the Settings.ini for each instance of HyperSpin, and that various things in all three instances of HyperLaunch were pointing to the correct location (e.g. Xpadder, Editpad Lite etc).

That's basically it as far as splitting up the systems is concerned. I'm going to have to tweak it a bit so I can load HyperSearch as well (plus I've moved all my games to my NAS and need to change the rom paths for every system!), but I'm very pleased with the results so far. Thanks a million, zerojay!

Splitting thing up like this does of course mean having to sort out where all the media goes, and I like the idea of having a script to copy files into the right folders after using HyperSync. I have a basic HyperSpin setup on D drive with the full set of systems in the main menu so I can use HyperSync to download everything, then I selectively copy the resulting files to H drive (being sure not to overwrite the Mega Themes and resized-for-widescreen artwork I've been adding for the Home systems).

I use ViceVersa Pro backup software on my PC, and had been thinking about setting up some jobs that will copy themes and videos for each system to the appropriate folders on H drive. It will be time consuming doing this in the first place, but will make updating the media much simpler in the future. However, it would be great to have something that would take care of this automatically based on the main database for each instance, with a means of choosing what gets copied for each system.

You might be able to use Symlinks to handle some of the media stuff and syncing without needing to do it in multiple installs. Glad to see you got it working, it's not that hard. :)

I've never used symlinks before so will have to investigate, but I think that's a job for another day. And it's dinner time now anyway...

I've never used symlinks before so will have to investigate, but I think that's a job for another day. And it's dinner time now anyway...

they are a tool for windows 7 that make create hard links as easy as copy a folder :) can't remember the exact name

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 520 using Tapatalk

i am using symlinks to speed up access times on hdd. roms and vidoes each are on separate hdd. soon i will move to ssd anyway, and only link from install dir to content dirs

Gesendet von meinem LG-P880 mit Tapatalk

I never did get around to trying this. To be honest I have very little free time at the moment and more important things to do with it, so my HyperSpin setup is pretty much on hold.

Fingers crossed HyperBase Live will be launched soon and take care of this issue for me, and maybe one day I'll have time to enjoy it!

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, probably while at work...

Great work! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Would it be possible to add both games and sub wheels to the same wheel?

I'm currently building on Lionheart's AVGN theme.

Some episodes review multiple games and it would be nice to be able to have a sub wheel for those particular episodes.

You could use as deep a depth as you wish, pretty much.

any tutorial?

Everything's already in the OP.

Zero jay, did u just add genres before the games or can you have the pre wheel that is essentially system genre (handheld, consoles etc), then systems, then games, the select genres?

Edited by ninja2bceen

I've just realised this isn't a sticky thread and it really deserves to be, so could someone do the honours please?