Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

OpenBOR

thatman84

This will be the home for OpenBOR discussion .

It will be my side project and next wheel.

i did have a little play a while back but @Honosuseri inspired me to start again fresh.

posted over at the official forum to see if the issues are likely to get some time from the devs

http://www.chronocrash.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0

Current Issues

Written below but better explained in this video.

1. Launching "direct to game" from Hyperspin (HS) wheel only supports 1 .pak file in the "PAK" games folder. When you have more than 1 game (.pak) in the "PAK" folder you will arrive at the OpenBOR game select list when launching any game from the HS wheel, then reselect the game you want to launch.

2. Controls are not intuitive and the touchscreen overlay is needed for things like exit. (Controlled by right thumb stick cursor) 

3. Player 2 controls on Shield TV are not recognised as a seperate controller. Therefore broken (needs more testing) May require 3rd party app to reprogram buttons as keyboard keys.

See this tasker profile by @BiZzAr721for changing keyboard see thread linked lower down for more details

OpenBOR_Keyboard_Select.prf.xml

Setup Details

Grab up to date apk's from here

https://github.com/DCurrent/openbor/releases/tag/v4583 

Extract the release build and get the debug-apk from the Android folder.

Games

They all (I think) come as a .pak file and for now should be located on the default an local storage OpenBOR PAK folder.

Below are the details for your Hyperspin OpenBOR.ini settings file

……...............................................................

rompath=/storage/emulated/0/OpenBOR/Paks
exe=org.openbor.engine/org.libsdl.app.SDLActivity
romextension=pak,PAK

Another thread with tasker info from @BiZzAr721 and @badhemi

i will edit this post with setup details as and when I have time. Chip in to get us started as my time is very limited until my wreck of a house is sorted ?

Would you like "my assets" to help you get up and going? I know your time is limited being a family man and having moved house recently.

I can try and make another video to show what's "hinky" with the OpenBOR android port. I did see you linked one of my videos to their forum BUT it wasn't really dedicated about OpenBOR.

P.S It was Pouteur who put up a video about OpenBOR on the Shield K1 which inspired me to discuss it further. He's a great guy but his videos being French probably do limit the audience some what.

11 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:

Would you like "my assets" to help you get up and going? I know your time is limited being a family man and having moved house recently.

I can try and make another video to show what's "hinky" with OpenBOR. I did see you linked one of my videos to their forum BUT it wasn't really dedicated about OpenBOR.

P.S It was Pouteur who put up a video about OpenBOR on the Shield K1 which inspired me to discuss it further. He's a great guy but his videos being French probably do limit the audience some what.

Yeah go for it on the assets. Maybe post the "safe" stuff here for now.

I may get a chance friday as out tonight and bolting steel aupports together tomorrow. :(

Yeah the french bit makes it hard for his stuff. Yet to find a youtube subtitles app lol

44 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Also if you do a vid i can updaye the link

Pouteur was using OpenBOR v3 build 4161(April 28 2015) in his video... I have build 4432 (Jan 25 2017).

Before I do the video, I need to make sure I have the latest version. I didn't compile it myself, I just grabbed a debug apk to download. It would be silly to talk about issues that could have already been resolved on a newer build.

6 minutes ago, Pouteur said:

Hi Honosuseri, my openbor build worked fine with my shiled k1, but when i use it with my satv,  i have controller issues (pad is ok but buton didn't worked) is your buid ok with the shield controler ?

I replied to your comment on my Youtube video, you must have missed it.

You have a much older build than I have. Yes the Shield TV gamepad works in the build I have (4432). Each game will need the buttons to be set in the game menu first time you play them though. I haven't tested a 2nd controller with this newer build.

It's very close to me wanting to show it off, I have no complaints about performance. Launch intent does not load the game directly, just into the OpenBOR main menu. Also bringing up the touchscreen controls so I can quit back to Hyperspin seem to be a bit hit and miss. 

I cant remember when I got this Main Menu theme from as it was in my early (Collect Everything everywhere stage), but Its pretty nice with the animated background.

OpenBOR.png.60e43f2949defac7a9b29bbb292a13f7.png

There is also 221 Wheels in my folder but not sure if they are of any use.

Had a read on their forum this morning, I'm not going to sign up to it to participate in the discussion. I must say you were incredibly polite making your requests and queries. Had it been me inquiring I would feel like I was being "mugged off". I also tried to be polite as possible in the video trying to explain the niggling issues on the Shield TV.  It's not looking promising to be honest...

"This could be tricky. Because OpenBOR in mainly a PC software, which has some ports for sure, but the main version is the Windows one. The idea behind the ports is to be able to play on other systems, and some customizations could be needed, but it should behave as close as it is to the windows version. So if the customizations for Shield TV affects anything on the Android build (affecting its performance), it has a high chance to not be done. And I would support this - the main Android port should be the focus, not some minor and hardware based port."

"You can exit openbor from a gamepad just select quit from the main menu and openbor has always run multiple paks with a list. one day i hope we could have seperate mods on android but for now i cant see that happening."

I guess there is still a glimmer of hope as you've not yet had a reply from White Dragon, who was supposed to be the last guy working on the Android port.

Personally I don't consider the Shield TV to be "minor hardware", it is the most powerful android device/box by a country mile! But we all know that already, don't we? ;) Using Android TV as the OS might well be considered it's Achilles heel though, as it is slightly different from the mobile Android OS.

You can't JUST select quit from the main menu, I spent quite sometime trying to show how borked the controls are on the Shield TV. I've plugged in my 8bitdo FC30 Pro gamepad and the button bindings are actually different to the Shield gamepads...proving to also be equally useless.

Hyperspin is not the only frontend on android and having launch intent working in an app or emulator is actually a pretty big deal. I've had the Shield TV for quite some time and have seen Developers be incredibly accommodating to getting stuff working on it. Ranging from launch intent being added in UAE4ARM for example. To having the Shield TV's home screen wallpaper change via Recommendations Row, with SPMC (a Kodi fork) and the Arc Browser frontend (I personally requested it from the developer). So maybe the guy they have doing the Android port will be just as helpful once he is aware.

I've shared "my assets" with Thatman84. However I will now be purging them from the Shield TV, the games alone are taking up 4GB never mind the media files. In it's current state OpenBOR is useless to me, effectively being a waste of space. There are some other wheels I have that do work (e.g Microsoft MSX) but they need attention for wheel art and the like. I'll spend my time on these before I get drawn back into the Commodore Amiga when Amiberry for Android appears.

I wish you guys all the best with it. I look forward to seeing how you all get on in time.

16 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Will see what happens. I may even use this project to learn a bit of app dev ? Not holding my breath though.....

updated OP with link to the GitHub release page to grab updated apk's

Sorry I forgot to mention, the latest .apk is 4583 dated Dec 31st 2017. I have tried it after doing that video and it's not really much better than what I was using before (4432), in regards to the controls.

I didn't like the "vibe" I was getting from their forum. A simple "Thank you for the interest, we'll chat with the Dev and see what can be done" would have been a more welcome reply. I hope the assets you now have help you along.

All the best with it guys

55 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Thanks for the input as always Hono,

they seem good enough don't forget I never posted over there and it was not really related to their core audience of game development. 

Hopefully whitedragon can shed some light on what's needed

Yeah no worries. Sorry if I seemed harsh in my replies, I'm just tired. Thing is, if you're talking about launch intent...then it should be pretty obvious you'd know what a port is lol

Launch intent is already implemented and working in a fashion, which surprised me as I said in the video it's often overlooked. If that could be sorted it would actually benefit the android port a great deal. The gamepad works in game just fine as I showed. Getting the Touchscreen controls back in the newer build seemed a little better BUT it's still far from intuitive. I'm not saying it needs to be omitted for the Shield TV, just easier to re-enable. I can't see how these things being worked on would detriment the overall performance of the app.

As I said you hadn't yet heard from the guy doing the android port. From the tests Pouteur has done with the K1, even the old builds seem to work incredibly well. White Dragon's done a very good job with it.

23 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Can someone post the exe line please. Not at the shield for another day to extract it. Updated the op with another thread about OpenBOR also

rompath=/storage/emulated/0/OpenBOR/Paks
exe=org.openbor.engine/org.libsdl.app.SDLActivity
romextension=pak,PAK

As said I'll be moving on to other things BUT I've done an updated video. Hopefully it's of some help regarding the controls (starts at around 2:22).

After doing that video, I can now confirm that (on the Shield TV anyway) two player controls are broken (even in the lastest apk build 4583). Essentially the 2nd pad isn't recognised as being a separate controller.

19 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Hyperspin related I hope ;)

There's more to life mate lol

Although yes as I said before, I do want to try and tidy up my MSX wheels. They do actually work properly, unlike OpenBOR so are more of a priority. Once Amiberry is released for Android MUCH of my time is going to be devoted to that. I already have an impressive Amiga collection on the Shield TV but maybe I can make it a little better when I do the transition from UAE4ARM.

P.S You can update the OP about 2 player controls now...do your job Mr. Admin man ;)

Archived