Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

OpenBOR

thatman84

I just wanted to chime in to mention the way I had open BOR working by mapping player 2 controls to keyboard keys. Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/index.php?/topic/26643-Openbor

I ended up using a root method using sixaxis controller. I did manage to get it working with a non root app, I just can't remember exactly what I did.

Formatted my shield shortly after and never messed with it any after that.

So after this...... Mugen?!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, BiZzAr721 said:

I just wanted to chime in to mention the way I had open BOR working by mapping player 2 controls to keyboard keys. Here is a link to the thread:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/index.php?/topic/26643-Openbor

I ended up using a root method using sixaxis controller. I did manage to get it working with a non root app, I just can't remember exactly what I did.

Formatted my shield shortly after and never messed with it any after that.

So after this...... Mugen?!? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you! Yes I had seen that a while back, however I refuse to root my Shield TV. If I keep it as stock as possible my friends can easily "emulate" (pun intended) what I have done with my box.

I was actually looking into Mugen. I saw Pouteur was starting out on OpenBOR so chimed in to help him out, then Thatman84 took up the mantle to move things along. I was trying to use Exagear to run Windows software on Android to do Mugen BUT the app doesn't seem to be compatible on the Shield TV. Pity as I would have enjoy playing Diablo 2 and a few other PC games on the Shield TV too.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

I'm back after a century of hell to drop my info! lol

So i was able to get DOS Mugen  to work with Doxbox Turbo and custom editing the cycles over 100000 to make it playable, but it has weird slowdown issues sometimes.

Also DOS Mugen games are either broken to the sky or extremely hard to find. I only had a few demos running.

But its mugen on android.

I spoke to the Paintown devs a year or so back, they were working on a new version that would let you use 1.0 and pre 1.0 builds of mugen but i haven't seen anything since, and its basically broken on current Android devices.

• 8 months later...

Hey fella's, been a while!   @thatman84 Congrats on the shiny new admin badge!  I've been away from the scene for a while. Just life in general. Read the occasional update on Tapatalk, but after I removed Tapatalk (for creating & signing me up to their forum chatrooms without my consent), I didn't get those updates anymore.    Back in December I got to researching Raspberry Pi and mini console cases, and was impressed with what it was capable of.  Once I got to setting up RetroPie, well, you know how it goes.........

Which brings me back to here.  I have been messing around with OpenBOR on the Raspberry Pi.  (More than one controller is recognized!) The user darknoir created a Command Line Interface to directly load a OpenBOR game (aka mod).  I am not going to get into the whole story of the progress but you can read it over here (tutorial-openbor-the-complete-guide) or here (openbor-6xxx-openbeta-testphase). You will even get some insight as to the resentment thatman felt over on Chrono Crash forums.

With that said, we now have OpenBOR 3400 with CLI &  .pak support (unsupported version - explanations in posts in the links above), as well as the latest (still unsupported, but duly noted) compiled from source, and patched with CLI, and OpenGL support (GL4ES for emulation station).  All mods can be individually loaded from command line.   I believe it may be possible to carry over those patches to the android version, but I'm no expert.

Since we were previously confined to OpenBOR 3400 version, I went through approximately 200 games, seeing which ones worked on OpenBOR v3400. (OpenBOR is very version specific - backwards compatibility is only by chance).  With the latest release, between the two versions nearly every mod is playable.  Darknoir has taking my list a step further by creating a comprehensive list including file size, play status (working, not working, crash logs, and even personal opinions of the game), CRC, aspect ratio, players.     I think OpenBOR compatibility is due for a major overhaul, and along with that, an updated database and appropriate artwork/metadata.

Since the mods are so version specific, we figured an appropriate naming convention would be like this:

GAME NAME [v0.0] [build version]

Example:  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Shell Shocked [Rev. 5853][v.3.0 Build 4394]

Darknoir had already started creating metadata, logo's, screen shots, boxart, and video's.  Here's a couple box art created by darknoir

1539271884340-streest-of-rage-zombie-ver.2.1-2017-v.3.0-build-4153.jpg.b95135b3065abc62d5649db453e5f58d.jpg:1539271898180-avengers-united-battle-force-ver.2.7.4-v.3.0-build-4432.jpg.ca4cc1f017bafe0d2fec7eece3652e14.jpg1539271875445-street-of-rage-2x-ver.1.4-lite-v.3.0-build-6330.jpg.4dab29fba03f1f634695ef7ef7c8878f.jpg

@Circo I would like to recommend a long overdue overhaul to OpenBOR. I volunteer to take on the task of recording videos to your latest standard.  

@THK @Metalzoic @Rain @relic @KlopjerO @Kondorito @BunglesI also would like to shine the HS Content Creator spotlight in the air to anyone that would be interested. Hyperspin has some of the most talented content creators, and absolutely the most dedicated! Hyperspin, and the talented artists involved created a new era of front end, helping to pave the way for this "retro revolution" we are seeing!  (I entered the arcade scene starting to set up Mame Wah!, when I came across HS beta!)

Thank you!

Here are the games I have personally gone through, which will painstakingly get a proper rename: pastebin - OpenBOR Games List

Thanks for your message @BiZzAr721 :)
You only write a mistake, like we can see on your compatibility list, on PI we have two OpenBOR version, one for the old games, 3400 and one of the last build for the newest games the 6315 ;)

My list in development is here : https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1h2c9Aa_s6rGUejR0AiZgx29byNBWBReW5PK30bZcago/edit?usp=sharing

Like he write, i search for help for this part of my project ...
I know i will do it, i already do it for 3DO, Daphne, PCE-CD, a big part of the NES, JAGUAR, ... but it's long and on OpenBOR there is nothing for help, i must create all the stuff from scratch ?
You can found my mail on GIT, on write me on Google Docs :)

Thanks every one for your work here, some time i have use a part of it and it same me many days of work ❤️
You are one of the best community ever !!!

Hi chaps,

its great to see some OpenBOR work going on and fingers crossed someone can update the android app to include the cli launching feature.

I am in between setups right now as lots of DIY on the go.

I had an ask about and it seems the thread below is this communities best offering into OpenBOR games lost setups. It was done in 2014 so not sure how much help it would be.

If you want to get setup over here for projects like artwork and things I would suggest making a thread in the relevant sub forums. There are not many artwork creators about right now but it’s the best way to find them

good luck and please keep us updated if your work completes away from the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived